Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Axis A24 first impressions

Fman

you wont plane with 750s in the rear and wedge down in a 450 engine.  i know my buddy tried on his 2016 last weekend.  i was really disappointed.  

Edited by ajf4242
13 hours ago, ajf4242 said:

you wont plane with 750s in the rear and wedge down in a 450 engine.  i know my buddy tried on his 2016 last weekend.  i was really disappointed.  

There is a lot variables that go into that. What year a24 are we talking, prop and elevation?

Like I said in my post above it's a 2016 no idea on elevation it's Columbus, OH so that isn't an issue.  Prop is the 2277. . . should be no issue with that engine.  We had to drain weight out the back and put all 4 people in the bow to plane out.  I had heard how great the 450 engines were and now it's the 17inch prop and new gear ratios. . . I would be surprised if the new one can get on plane fully weighted with wedge based on past experiences with a ton of boats.  I'm talking wakeboarding speed not surfing.  Most boats struggle to get past the 14/15mph range heavily weighted.  

2 hours ago, ajf4242 said:

Like I said in my post above it's a 2016 no idea on elevation it's Columbus, OH so that isn't an issue.  Prop is the 2277. . . should be no issue with that engine.  We had to drain weight out the back and put all 4 people in the bow to plane out.  I had heard how great the 450 engines were and now it's the 17inch prop and new gear ratios. . . I would be surprised if the new one can get on plane fully weighted with wedge based on past experiences with a ton of boats.  I'm talking wakeboarding speed not surfing.  Most boats struggle to get past the 14/15mph range heavily weighted.  

I just demo'd an 18 a24. No issue getting on plane fully weighted with the 409 and pw2. 

2 hours ago, ajf4242 said:

Does Axis PW2 have lift mode also?  If so, it will have no problem getting on plane.  

49 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

I just demo'd an 18 a24. No issue getting on plane fully weighted with the 409 and pw2. 

the black and white one?  I need to get over and demo it before its to cold..

44 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Wave looks kind of meh on the regular side

Did anyone surf or wakeboard this yet?  I was too lazy to read if travis did.

What about you @Pnwrider?  You demoed it so you must have surfed it right?

yup, now go back to the nautique/mastercraft/frog jumping forum you came from. 

• Like 2
On 9/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, ajf4242 said:

Either at very high elevation, totally wrong prop, engine has issue, 20 dudes in the boat, or a combination of those. That 450 will do that all day. 

Edited by TexasA24
On 9/23/2017 at 9:32 PM, bamaboy said:

Wave looks kind of meh on the regular side

Did anyone surf or wakeboard this yet?  I was too lazy to read if travis did.

What about you @Pnwrider?  You demoed it so you must have surfed it right?

Look at all that water moving tho, it has tons of push.

I agree with SD, that wake did not look clean... my guess either way to much weight combined with not enough speed or they are still learning how to set it up.  Sometimes it takes a few different weight setups/speed to get the perfect recipe.  I also wonder if that boat had a pw2 or floating wedge. 

I am doing a riding demo next week on the A24 with some legit wakeboarders and surfers.  Will report back and even try and grab a few vids.  I can tell you when I demo'd at Malibu last month wakeboard wake was super clean.

• 2 weeks later...

first day out on the a24 in that video so yea still tinkering with it. pw2 but coming from his 17 a24 which we never ran the wedge i think it was just set to 2 or 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had an opportunity to go out on a 2018 A24 this afternoon for the Boulder Boats Demo Days.  Wow this is a big bad boat with some serious power.   It had the base engine with the 17" prop.   We had full stock ballast and full plug and play (I think 500lb bags in rear) and with power wedge it got on plane very easily.  The wakeboard wake was big and clean at 22 mph and I am betting the wakeboard community is going to love this boat.  A ton of room in the interior. Storage everywhere. This boat handled excellent in chop and was great to run on open calm water as well.  We didn't spend too much time dialing up the wave, but with little effort it created a nice big wave on both sides.  I could see that this face with power wedge could get pretty steep or mellow by adjusting the wedge.  With a little more time tuning, I can only imagine how great this wave will get.  All in all, it was an incredible boat and very stoked that I got an opportunity to get on and drive it.  

Great new line up and big thanks to the crew at Boulder Boats.  They are a top notch dealer with a customer first focus and just an incredible group of people.

2 hours ago, Willis717 said:

Great new line up and big thanks to the crew at Boulder Boats.  They are a top notch dealer with a customer first focus and just an incredible group of people.

Ditto. :cheers:

• Like 2