Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nauticurl Review - 2002 21 LSV, compared with manual gate

sledandski

I tried my new Nauticurl last week. Used it to to wake foil. Question, How do you get the wave without the big curl on top? Mine has a big curl and when it hits the T Bar on foil it pushes you out the side. I have seen many waves that don't appear to curl over top just big and humpy.

13 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I tried my new Nauticurl last week. Used it to to wake foil. Question, How do you get the wave without the big curl on top? Mine has a big curl and when it hits the T Bar on foil it pushes you out the side. I have seen many waves that don't appear to curl over top just big and humpy.

Are you talking about the spray coming across from the non-surf side and messing up the front edge (near the boat)?  Or are you referring to the curl further back on the wave?  Does the picture in my previous post show what you're referring to?

Edited by ajgear
19 hours ago, dalt1 said:

5 hours ago, ajgear said:

Are you talking about the spray coming across from the non-surf side and messing up the front edge (near the boat)?  Or are you referring to the curl further back on the wave?  Does the picture in my previous post show what you're referring to?

The curl farther back but on mine it is more pronounced and seems to be a bit closer to the boat. When surfing on boards it's not as noticeable because you are squashing the wave with board, when on the foil, it is unaffected like looking at it with no one back there. I will try to post a pic if it will work for me.

@dalt1, try tilting the wake shaper forward (front suction cup about 1" to 2" lower on the hull than the rear suction cup).  That worked very well for us, cleaning up the front and top of the wake.  It seems to impart a bit of list to the boat and to prevent some of the over-spray from the water going over the top of the gate.  What kind of weight are you running?  PnP? Bow ballast?  All of that will have an effect.

13 hours ago, dalt1 said:

The curl farther back but on mine it is more pronounced and seems to be a bit closer to the boat. When surfing on boards it's not as noticeable because you are squashing the wave with board, when on the foil, it is unaffected like looking at it with no one back there. I will try to post a pic if it will work for me.

Can't get Photo to load from my iPhone will wait for my kid to get home for assistance.

IMG_6647.PNG

Edited by dalt1
Add pic

@dalt1, it looks like you're getting some significant cross-wash from the non-surf side.   I'd try moving the gate up a bit on the hull if you can, and/or tilting it as I said in my previous post.  Moving it up (we couldn't on the VTX due to the contour of the hull) will keep more of the water from going over the top of the gate and washing back and across.  Tilting it will aid in that as well, and has the added benefit of inducing a bit of lift on the non-surf side, and listing the boat.  Not sure if that will solve your issue, but that was our experience.  Depending on your ballast layout, you might also try getting a bit of weight forward in the boat and onto the surf side.