Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best anchor?

NCSurfing

I have read many times that a knot in 3/8" or 1/2" rope reduces the breaking strength by 25% to 50%. (It's why you pay for an anchor line with a thimble spliced into one end.)  Probably doesn't matter unless you are at max load anyway, but there are other ways to safely mark lengths on an anchor line, like weaving a colored piece of nylon through the rope strands.     

On 1/23/2019 at 2:35 PM, John I. said:

I have read many times that a knot in 3/8" or 1/2" rope reduces the breaking strength by 25% to 50%. (It's why you pay for an anchor line with a thimble spliced into one end.)  Probably doesn't matter unless you are at max load anyway, but there are other ways to safely mark lengths on an anchor line, like weaving a colored piece of nylon through the rope strands.     

I have a butterfly knot in my anchor line for my anchor buddy. It is strong in all directions, actually a really cool climbing knot.

https://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php

FYI - I have been reading these posts about the box anchor and was considering getting one.  I received an email from Overton’s today for 30% off so I decided to pull the trigger.  The anchor was already on sale so I saved another 30% off the marked price.  I got the small box anchor and a Danik hook for $117 total including tax.  Shipping was free also.  Sweet deal!

https://www.overtons.com/product/details?pdesc=Small-Box-Anchor&i=314790&from=grid

https://www.overtons.com/search/Danik

8 hours ago, Hemmy said:

FYI - I have been reading these posts about the box anchor and was considering getting one.  I received an email from Overton’s today for 30% off so I decided to pull the trigger.  The anchor was already on sale so I saved another 30% off the marked price.  I got the small box anchor and a Danik hook for $117 total including tax.  Shipping was free also.  Sweet deal!

https://www.overtons.com/product/details?pdesc=Small-Box-Anchor&i=314790&from=grid

https://www.overtons.com/search/Danik

Great deal!  I think I paid $170ish for my small box anchor with an anchor buddy.  

On 1/23/2019 at 10:29 AM, Ronnie said:

I tie a knot in the rope about 5'-6' from the anchor. I know the anchor is right behind the knot when I bring it up.

From a quick look they are almost identical. I am guessing on the cheap one a year down the road the bent hinges will be the second casualty after the rust all over it. I didnt buy a SS one, but the slide box I have had for over 4 years is totaly rust free. And that is after having sat in the bottom of the Cumberland river for a winter. 🤫

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/29/2019 at 9:58 PM, meadow said:

We just purchased a brand new Malibu 25LSV, where do you all store your anchor

And how is it stored? Any ideas?

Not sure how the newer boats are configured but I store mine under the bow cushion since it's as close as I can get to the bow hook or bow cleat.

Sweet, thank you! I took this thread over to Bakes and spent close to a G on various gear including box anchor, anchor buddy, sand spikes, line, bumpers, babz. Goodess where does it end? Ha!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the advice!  I went straight to the amazon link for the box anchor.  It gave me the option for galvanized or stainless steel?  Is one better than the other?

For a 21 foot XTI would I need a small or a large anchor?  Thanks again for all the help!

12 hours ago, bexs0202x said:

Thanks for all the advice!  I went straight to the amazon link for the box anchor.  It gave me the option for galvanized or stainless steel?  Is one better than the other?

For a 21 foot XTI would I need a small or a large anchor?  Thanks again for all the help!

I have a 23LSV.  If I were buying another box anchor today I would go with the Baby.

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I have a 23LSV.  If I were buying another box anchor today I would go with the Baby.

I am sure you are right that the baby would work great.  I know the Small has been rock solid on my 23.. this thing is amazon. I only went with the Small (instead of baby) because I couldn't get the baby in lime green sparkly paint.

Darnnit with these old threads pulling up.  This last weekend, I could barely get an anchor to set with the pontoon boat in under 10 mph winds and watched another guy try for 45 minutes.  I just ordered a baby box anchor on Amazon.  Cha-ching.

20 hours ago, bexs0202x said:

I would go with the small for that boat.  Galvanized or stainless is your choice.  In my opinion go with galvanized....the only time you see it is when you are about to throw it in the water or when you are pulling it up and putting it back in the bag for storage, but it is up to you.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:27 AM, gregtay said:

this thing is amazon. 

This.  Still can't believe I boated a yr before getting one.  They are by far better than any traditional anchor.  

On 6/10/2020 at 7:05 AM, gahvey said:

I would go with the small for that boat.  Galvanized or stainless is your choice.  In my opinion go with galvanized....the only time you see it is when you are about to throw it in the water or when you are pulling it up and putting it back in the bag for storage, but it is up to you.

Are you saying the 13 or 19 pound box anchor?  I'm getting tired of dragging a fluke anchor around this windy Spring.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Are you saying the 13 or 19 pound box anchor?  I'm getting tired of dragging a fluke anchor around this windy Spring.

We have the small size which on their website is a 21 lb anchor.  Holds our boat without issues.

• Like 2

I should also mention - I was talking with the guys at slide anchor the other day and they have a great warranty/guarantee.  He mentioned that if you get the wrong size and it doesn't work for you, just let them know and you can exchange it.

• 1 year later...

Is the anchor buddy good for the 2022 24mxz? The website said 4400lbs but the dry weight on the mxz says 5500. Had one on my axis a22 with a box anker and it worked great. Suggestion? Input?

If you're just using it for basic anchoring while you're aboard I personally wouldn't worry about the rating, as I suspect it probably has more to do with the line strength than anything else.  In rough conditions or when anchored unattended I would consider using a main line to back up the anchor buddy (as pictured below, bottom picture), but you'd probably need a bigger anchor if that's the case.

anchorbuddy3.png&f=1&nofb=1