Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best anchor?

NCSurfing

7 minutes ago, Bawshogg said:

Don't waist anymore time or effort looking and definetly don't spend anymore money on anything besides a Box Anchor.

https://www.amazon.com/Slide-Anchor-SBA-Small-Box/dp/B0000AXND7

Yep, small box anchor.  That's what I have, and I've never once had to reset my anchor, ever.  They are pricy, but well worth the time and hassle saved.

• Like 2

Another vote for the box anchor.   However, we did run into 1 time we couldn't get it to hold.  Fairly high winds that day and both myself (23LSV) and a 22MXZ had our box anchors out and couldn't get them to hold.   We normally use them with no issue - not sure what was up that day as I've had them hold in stronger winds in the same area of our local lake.   

That being said, be aware even the small box anchor is quite large and can be a bit of a pain to get out, unfold, etc.   Seeing my buddy in the MXZ, I loved the space in the bow to store the box anchor as well as the plate over the ladder to set the anchor for folding it, etc.    I usually lay the storage bag and a towel down on the floor and mess with mine in the LSV, but it's always messy pulling it in off the muddy bottoms of our local lakes.  

Box anchor seems to be the anchor to get and I have heard that over and over but in regards to the space issue, I use a folding grappling anchor and it works just fine I also have never had any problems with it holding and it folds up nicely and stores under the gunnels by the bow cup holders. I keep saying I will switch to a box anchor once my grapnel doesn't hold but for now...., grapelling it is. I think I have the 13lb variety. 

Box anchor. My boat came with a danforth and it only worked if I was shallow enough to swim down and stick into the the sand, then stand on and jump back up to surface. I have had another boat tied to mine and it kept us in place.

Another vote for a box anchor. I got one last year and love it.

Yesterday was the first time ever I couldn't get it to hold, but like mentioned above, high winds and a strong current. Any other time it's awesome. 

A bit cumbersome, but great anchor.

Regardless of what anchor you have, use it on an Anchor Buddy & it won't drag nearly as easy. I have a fluke on an Anchor Buddy now days & its crazy how much better it holds than when I had chain & rope on it.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Regardless of what anchor you have, use it on an Anchor Buddy & it won't drag nearly as easy. I have a fluke on an Anchor Buddy now days & its crazy how much better it holds than when I had chain & rope on it.

Do you have any issues that the anchor buddy stretches too much allowing you to swing more than a rope would let you?  We anchor often in a smaller cove near boats and I worry about having too much "play" in my position if I switch to an anchor buddy (which is currently just sitting in my garage). 

4 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Do you have any issues that the anchor buddy stretches too much allowing you to swing more than a rope would let you?  We anchor often in a smaller cove near boats and I worry about having too much "play" in my position if I switch to an anchor buddy (which is currently just sitting in my garage). 

No doubt that using the Anchor Buddy requires more room for the boat to move around, especially if it's windy or wavy. Using a box anchor with very little scope should keep the boat situated in a smaller area.

I've used the fluke with an Anchor Buddy to hold 2 boats in a 10 - 15 mph breeze. Using a rope & chain, it would drag the anchor on the bottom till it latched onto something, then it could be tough to pull up. But using the Anchor Buddy it seemed to set easier & not drag the anchor.

I actually use two anchor buddy's in parallel with a box anchor.  It is a little bit more difficult to pull the boat to shore when we are hanging out at camp, but it holds really well, especially in wind or when a couple big rollers come through.

Box anchor with a Danik Hook. I hold 3 boats with it routinely. Never had it not hook up but our lake it's mostly sand (Mud). You don't use any chain with this setup. I tie a knot in the rope about 5' up from the anchor to tell me when the anchor is approaching the surface so I don't contact the boat with the anchor. 

There is a process for getting the Box Anchor to release easily. Read about it on the link below.

Danik Hook

Box Anchor

• Like 2
On 7/16/2017 at 10:38 AM, hethj7 said:

Another vote for the box anchor.   However, we did run into 1 time we couldn't get it to hold.  Fairly high winds that day and both myself (23LSV) and a 22MXZ had our box anchors out and couldn't get them to hold.   We normally use them with no issue - not sure what was up that day as I've had them hold in stronger winds in the same area of our local lake.   

That being said, be aware even the small box anchor is quite large and can be a bit of a pain to get out, unfold, etc.   Seeing my buddy in the MXZ, I loved the space in the bow to store the box anchor as well as the plate over the ladder to set the anchor for folding it, etc.    I usually lay the storage bag and a towel down on the floor and mess with mine in the LSV, but it's always messy pulling it in off the muddy bottoms of our local lakes.  

More rope. 

I would think a box anchor would be the best, however i am using a standard anchor like this one with an anchor buddy bungee and it holds my 20' mastercraft in place on the sand bar. not a problem and it only cost me $35 total. 

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Anchor-Slip-Ring-Econo/dp/B001BW8FOY/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1500389954&sr=1-10&keywords=anchors

Love my box anchor.   Just hook to the bow eye,  drop it and forget it.   I do use an anchor buddy,  If I dont want a lot of play, I take my old danforth anchor to shore, and set it.   I use a danik hook so that I can pull the boat a little nearer to shore to let people off, but the play out some anchor line after they are off, and the anchor buddy pulls the boat back out to deeper water.   Works like a charm.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, bumping an old'ish thread but, where do you tie the anchor rope after tossing the anchor? Cleats on our boat are just a little fwd from the drivers seat. Do you add a cleat to the bow somewhere?

Edited by SpaceSurfer