Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 and RI257 compare and contrast

DarkSide

22 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Detroit Boat show... 

I will have to admit I was really impressed when sitting in the RI257 and RI237.  I can see why some people are switching over to Centurion.   There were some items in the boat where I thought they cheaped out.     Like the pager they use to control the stero and the lack of hinged seats.    Also the cheap seat back for wake view seating.   It works but seems half assed.  

I liked the RI237 better than the 23 LSV.  I really did not seem a big difference in for and finish between malibu and Centurion if I am being honest.     From malibu the the only boat I would buy would be a 25 LSV and the 22 MXZ.  

Niether is up to par with Nautique though   

F04064E8-B3D8-467F-8D53-7803832AE82D.jpeg

EB6A3733-1050-4F4A-822C-6E9A1F371B81.jpeg

1903CD79-6E64-4CB2-86B0-5931070593D0.jpeg

C70E78F1-2EA4-4486-8898-0734F0095089.jpeg

140B2837-D559-46E1-BAF6-F1100E024477.jpeg

Hey chrisjjbrown

Even though I’ve sold my LSV and have  Ri237 on order, I totally agree with the couple items you’ve picked as issues to be refined. I thought is was just me! The lack of hinged seats is a bummer. That said, I never used them on my LSV because the idea of the leg room for the observer seat being the storage area is also a poor design. Both companies could take a lesson from Nautique here. Having that leg space on the G is sweet! The removable back rests on the slider are a really poor design. I guess I’m hoping I can use the bench without the back rests. The stereo controls are very plain Jane and unimpressive. I’ll add no phone holder on the dash. Although the 18 Centurion manual shows it as a option. I’ll miss that as I used it a lot on my LSV. Excellent attention to detail!!!

On a side note, what did you think of the interior colors on the 257? My wife wanted to go with almost the exact colors. I was nervous at 1st, but it’s growing on me quickly. Btw those pics do not give the red flake on the 237 any justice, that is a beautiful boat left over from last year, with crazy aggressive pricing. I would have bought it, but my step sons say no way to any colors which may resemble OSU colors. Lol!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

M235's are mythical creatures that are not available to be ridden or seen by those that don't have a whipping boy to detail their triple later painted Ferraris.....

Don’t you mean Pavati?? 

37 minutes ago, gdmatson said:

Hey chrisjjbrown

Even though I’ve sold my LSV and have  Ri237 on order, I totally agree with the couple items you’ve picked as issues to be refined. I thought is was just me! The lack of hinged seats is a bummer. That said, I never used them on my LSV because the idea of the leg room for the observer seat being the storage area is also a poor design. Both companies could take a lesson from Nautique here. Having that leg space on the G is sweet! The removable back rests on the slider are a really poor design. I guess I’m hoping I can use the bench without the back rests. The stereo controls are very plain Jane and unimpressive. I’ll add no phone holder on the dash. Although the 18 Centurion manual shows it as a option. I’ll miss that as I used it a lot on my LSV. Excellent attention to detail!!!

On a side note, what did you think of the interior colors on the 257? My wife wanted to go with almost the exact colors. I was nervous at 1st, but it’s growing on me quickly. Btw those pics do not give the red flake on the 237 any justice, that is a beautiful boat left over from last year, with crazy aggressive pricing. I would have bought it, but my step sons say no way to any colors which may resemble OSU colors. Lol!

I agree I really liked the red and black  ri237 I thought it was really sharp in person.  But I’m a buckeye fan  

I also really liked the all black look on the RI257 the interior colors were better than all Peanut butter but I think you can do better.   I would go a different route if it was me.  

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

The marina where we keep our boat just picked up heydey as rentals this year.  I am going to see if I can talk the dock guys into letting me play on one for an hour or two.  I'm a little curious to see how the do.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, JeffK said:

The marina where we keep our boat just picked up heydey as rentals this year.  I am going to see if I can talk the dock guys into letting me play on one for an hour or two.  I'm a little curious to see how the do.

Bet they rattle less than a Centurion hitting a double up.....:rofl:

12 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

not gonna lie, I actually chuckled at this one.  Glad you have a thick skin and good sense of humor @RCorsa.  These guys can be pretty snarky (especially this deep into winter), but in my experience IRL most of 'em will give you the shirts off their backs too.

Totally.  If especially if said shirt was going to be used to detail a Tesla.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, IXFE said:

Newsflash everybody....

The Centurion guy loves the Ri and takes a veiled shot at the Malibu product. 

36DB9738-9E85-4728-9758-EF7CFC3C4F43.gif

Im kinda surprised by this actually.  Seemed like a pretty good review of the A24.  Im a skimmer but generally ride a surf style wave, cause I suck.  Is it pretty common to see better surf or skim waves on a given boat?  Ive never even seen someone compare both with the same boat. 

43 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Im kinda surprised by this actually.  Seemed like a pretty good review of the A24.  Im a skimmer but generally ride a surf style wave, cause I suck.  Is it pretty common to see better surf or skim waves on a given boat?  Ive never even seen someone compare both with the same boat. 

Nope, that’s just the darkside way of passively aggressively saying centurion is better than Malibu/axis/insert brand here. He’s trying to disguise it more now Is all. 

22 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Nope, that’s just the darkside way of passively aggressively saying centurion is better than Malibu/axis/insert brand here. He’s trying to disguise it more now Is all. 

THIS!

He seems to think this is our first rodeo and we don't see through his efforts. Same old song and dance... Doesn't Centurion have a enthusiasts site for that brand? Maybe we should ALL run over there and tell them how bad Centurion is and how Malibu is SO much better.

And different waves for Skim and Surf? Where did that come from?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

THIS!

He seems to think this is our first rodeo and we don't see through his efforts. Same old song and dance... Doesn't Centurion have a enthusiasts site for that brand? Maybe we should ALL run over there and tell them how bad Centurion is and how Malibu is SO much better.

You guys totally should. May bring some excitement to the centurion site. It’s so dull and slow. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

THIS!

I get that we are all excited to passionately express our enthusiasm for our new boats. I know I’m exited to use our new Ri this spring! That said, just because I had a rough experience with my 15 LSV and switched brands, does NOT in anyway suggest that I think less of Malibu or bash them.  All brands can have issues and buying the Centurion was more a financial issue for me, although I’m not at all disappointed with the decision. Personally, I love this site and all the help it’s given me, which is why I continue to come back. This site is better in a to of ways than the Centurion site. When people like you bash Darkside for sincerely complimenting the Axis and then say “Maybe we should ALL” groups people like me in to your BS! Whiners are expected, but as a site administrator I expect more from you. It’s this attitude that has made me hold off on being a contributing member again this year. I can assure you, if you were to troll over on the Centurion site, the only bashing would be towards the whiners on this site and not the boats. “Us ALL” have owned Malibu’s because we like them, my 1st was a new 1995 Sunsetter LX. I’ve been around the brand for a while. To jump ship to another brand and then bash the previous brand, would suggest poor decision making for purchasing a Malibu in the 1st place. Absolutely childish and ridiculous!!! Ive watched Darkside on the Centurion forum and walk on egg shells over here. Based on what I’ve read from him on both sites, he was being sincere and looking for a way to compliment. At what point does this site say, if you don’t own a Malibu please leave. Even though nobody actually comes out with that, it’s said everyday on this forum. So sad!

Edited by gdmatson
Wrong word
  • Like 3
24 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Again, I also dont know about this.  Clearly surf band is a thing...and people clearly love it.  (I personally would NEVER allow someone behind my boat to control anything in the boat, most notably the radio) 

This place kinda sounds like my douschy beer friends.   "Nah, that brewery sucks, not nearly enough citrus notes on the IPA.  They should have used more mosaic hops."  F' it.  Give me the beer and Ill pound it, happily, behind any one of your boats on whatever board you've got in the boat.

100% I just love boating and all boats! 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

THIS!

Isn't it accepted that a steeper wake with more defined lip is preferable for surf style (easier to catch airs) , and a more mellow, rounded wake is better for skim (easier to spin on)?  At least for the weekend warrior hacks?  And note I own an LSV, so please go easy on me... ;)

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, 3sport said:

Isn't it accepted that a steeper wake with more defined lip is preferable for surf style (easier to catch airs) , and a more mellow, rounded wake is better for skim (easier to spin on)?  At least for the weekend warrior hacks?  And note I own an LSV, so please go easy on me... ;)

Anything is possible I suppose on the waves, I've never seen or heard anyone talk about a specific wave for a specific board. Seems very limiting to what you can do on a wave to me. IME, our LSV wave is long enough that we get flatter and steep on different parts of the wave. Luckily, these waves are more tunable now and we're able to make flat waves or steep waves with a quick adjustment of the wedge or ballast level. Very unlike what we used to have to do with only a listed boat wave. 

11 minutes ago, 3sport said:

This^

it is very much "a thing"......

surf style riders want a steeper longer wave, with a well defined lip to air off of.

skim style want a wider, less steep, more mound shaped wave, with good power, but less firmness to grab the board on spins and such....

both types of riders can work with the other style wave, but they are going to prefer the one that most suits their riding style. This is probably one of the biggest reasons for the polarity on wave opinions with different boats. (That, and everyone prefers what they are used to)

• Like 3

Its fine to talk about Nautiques though right.....I mean they are just so luxurious.....I also hope we can still talk about triple later painted Ferraris ,  once you have both you know you have made it. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You have your opinion, I respect that. I have my opinion too. I have absolutely no problem with any brand of boat owner being here. I do have a problem with any boat brand owner throwing down on Malibu and promoting the other brand over Malibu over and over again. You would be surprised with the number of dealers that contact me with stories about the other brand owners that used to be Malibu owners. Most times the stories posted up here against Malibu issues they have had are vastly different than what is posted. I understand that you are a relatively new member but we have a lot of history with Malibu here. The history is that we started this site because the old site we had was sold to a group that wanted to go to ALL boats. We wanted a Malibu enthusiasts site that was by Malibu enthusiasts so that's what we started, a Malibu Enthusiasts site. I understand the the other brand sites are not as active or maybe not as informative as others. Maybe the reason is because the members don't contribute to those sites as they should and put their posts on other sites. As for me, I never go to those other sites. I have no interest in their boats so why should I go there and post my Malibu slanted posts? Seems silly to me. I would never go to their site to get information on Malibu boats but it seems to be OK to put their information on a Malibu site. Do people come here to get information on other brands, probably not but they may get it from a few other brand owners with a negative Malibu slant from the other brand contributors. Why can't they come here and maybe give some info from other brand members without having the Malibu/Axis brand bashed? The "My boat is better than your boat" gets old. The site is called TheMalibuCrew for a reason. Anyone is welcome but it's a MALIBU site first and foremost.

Of course it’s a Malibu site. When you have a compare and contrast thread, you only want your koolaid and not a conversing perspective if done respectfully? Maybe the thread should be compare and shut up, we don’t want to hear it? I still come to this site as a boating enthusiast whose still interested in Malibu and what they bring to the table. It is possible to be enthusiastically interested in Malibu without owning one. I am relatively new to contributing to this site, but not to using as a research tool. And certainly not to being a Malibu owner. There are plenty of people like myself who for now still come to this site for interesting info and respectfully contribute. Take for example the top of this page(9). My comments reflect criticism of the Ri and the LSV. Respectfully compare/contrast. Thanks for having a great site! 

29 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

So I'll make an observation ... This is a thread comparing a Malibu to a Centurion.  To censor Malibu criticism would, in essence, nullify the any discussion.  After all, its comparing the pros and cons of each brand.  This seems like a thread where Centurion owners could provide their perspectives .. as long as it stays in this thread.  Otherwise you are getting all your input from Malibu owners (which is clearly biased).  

That said, if I'm having trouble dialing in my wave (a Malibu specific thread), I do NOT want to hear how nice a Centurion wave is, or how easy it is, or whatever.

- just a thought   

What he said!