Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 and RI257 compare and contrast

DarkSide

2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Sometimes, I think too much time is spent trying to get the wave bigger........ when a smaller/cleaner/longer wave is the better one to ride. And then you save yourself the hassle of overweighting the boat, and having to fill bags that you don't need.

So true.  Apparently the mackin setup in my boat involves zero center tank.  The pictures look insane but I have yet to try it.  

It's just like when you splash someone in the pool with your arm extended.  You don't wanna go too deep or you will not push any water.  You have to be deep but not too deep for max water movement.  Then, once perfected, you enjoy the sting of chlorine in your enemy's eyes.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

That Ri257 video looks like you’re surfing 3-5’ from the platform. Not my cup of tea. Neither is the $170k price tag I saw at the DFW boat show (with only a 450 motor). 

about 8 to 10 ft.  nobody pays sticker, right?

2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Sometimes, I think too much time is spent trying to get the wave bigger........ when a smaller/cleaner/longer wave is the better one to ride. And then you save yourself the hassle of overweighting the boat, and having to fill bags that you don't need.

That's exactly what I'm finding with my 06 and GSA.  I've dropped about 800lbs off my setup and the wave seems even better than before. 

I can drop another 325 if the rider is a smaller person.

• Like 2

I think the 23 is right on par with where it’s prices have been going over the past few years. Obviously not seeing available option packages for apples to apples comparison but the BU prices seem to be in line. (My gut tells me the 24mxz probably has a few more bells and whistles)

but it’s clear to me on that list alone the 25lsv is the biggest bang for your buck. 

23 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Might seem a bit biased, but those numbers appear to put 'bu's as the most competitive in pricing for what you get.

What seems biased?

Edited by Stevo
ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I think the 23 is right on par with where it’s prices have been going over the past few years. Obviously not seeing available option packages for apples to apples comparison.

but it’s clear to me on that list alone the 25lsv is the biggest bang for your buck. 

What seems biased?

This x100. That’s said I haven’t surfed a new 23. 18” of ice melt count down seems to have started though! So that could come down to x50 or x25 but the 25 is the money boat IMO. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
40 minutes ago, IXFE said:

DFW boat show prices (ie not msrp):

SL450 was $132k with 450 motor

assuming that this is the Supra SL - then this would have to include a heavily tricked out trailer to get to that price point - my first quote for the SL400 with most options possible (single pair of tower speakers) was around 110 - engine upgrade would have been another 6K. 

With pretty much every option selected and the trailer wheels upgraded etc. the MSRP would come to 154K which would be in the same range as a 23LSV pretty much fully loaded and the 450 engine.  Now I would assume that the boat show price for the 23LSV with the 410 did NOT include all those options because a discount of 40K is pretty unlikely except for IXFE and that wouldn't happen at the boat show either.

So yes I do think that Supra has actually put something forward here which is from a pricing perspective pretty interesting and it seems like their production is pretty much sold out thru spring for the SL - my spray date just got pushed back by over a month :cry:

13 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

assuming that this is the Supra SL - then this would have to include a heavily tricked out trailer to get to that price point - my first quote for the SL400 with most options possible (single pair of tower speakers) was around 110 - engine upgrade would have been another 6K. 

With pretty much every option selected and the trailer wheels upgraded etc. the MSRP would come to 154K which would be in the same range as a 23LSV pretty much fully loaded and the 450 engine.  Now I would assume that the boat show price for the 23LSV with the 410 did NOT include all those options because a discount of 40K is pretty unlikely except for IXFE and that wouldn't happen at the boat show either.

So yes I do think that Supra has actually put something forward here which is from a pricing perspective pretty interesting and it seems like their production is pretty much sold out thru spring for the SL - my spray date just got pushed back by over a month :cry:

Boat show price (with discounts) pretty loaded out on the Supra was the $132k.  I compared apples to apples to the ‘18 23LSV I have on order with the 575 supercharged and was another $10K ($142k) to have that engine which would put it $20K more than the LSV comparably equipped.  

On 2/14/2018 at 8:19 AM, Monkeybutt said:

The SL450 was macked out, for sure. Motor upgrade, flake, 18’s, tower speakers, and clamping racks. I actually spent a bunch of time looking at the SL and talking to the Supra guys. They had another SL450 back at their shop for $129k. For what it’s worth, I really liked the boat.

It is interesting to note that in THIS MARKET you could spec a 23 LSV with a SC motor and G4 tower for less than our local Supra dealer wants for the SL450. But it sounds like build spots are slim and that’s the “it boat” in Supra’s lineup this year, so they can ask whatever they want. Malibu’s capacity is such that they can make as many as they sell (if you listen to mbuu earnings call you know they’ve been investing in capacity for the past few years).

Edited by IXFE

Hard data?  More like meh data.  @IXFE these numbers are meaningless unless they are MSRP.  % discount varies widely all over the country.  Comparing apples to oranges IMO

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

9-Iron comes out with the hard data! 

I could be mistaken, but boat show prices are still negotiable, right?  Maybe if business is good, they won't negotiate, but I am not sure those prices have to be taken as 'out the door' prices.  It wouldn't surprise me if a few of those were highly negotiable (G23, Ri257) and others are not.  The MC XT23 seems a lot less than I am used to seeing for that boat, so I would bet there is little negotiating room there.  

I wouldn’t call it “hard data” for exactly the reason you stated; I didn’t sit down and try to grind out a deal with each dealer. I just posted what I observed at the show. Take it for what it is. 

@bamaboy, meaningless?  Without even purchasing a ticket to DFW you now know as much as I do, as if you walked the show yourself. I guess that’s meaningless to you. Whatever... tell you what, you’re going to the Detroit show this weekend so why don’t you go grind out a deal on 20-30 boats, then you can come report to us what the % off msrp is for each. 

Once again, I can see this was a mistake to post. 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@bamaboy, meaningless?  Without even purchasing a ticket to DFW you now know as much as I do, as if you walked the show yourself. I guess that’s meaningless to you. Whatever... tell you what, you’re going to the Detroit show this weekend so why don’t you go grind out a deal on 20-30 boats, then you can come report to us what the % off msrp is for each. 

Once again, I can see this was a mistake to post. 

A post like this is inherently  not applicable outside of the region.  Heck, it's not even applicable outside that boat show.  

Walking around and writing down the "boat show special" means nothing.  I have had discussions with people on this site that live in a region where the typical Malibu discount is about 10-15%.  Most guys get above 20%.  Highly region and dealer dependent.  So we know nothing about what % discount these prices were.  

Now, if you posted the boat show special compared with MSRP that is a different story.  With MSRP, you can see how the direct competitors compare.  For example, MSRP of a similarly equipped M235, Xstar and G23 would probably be very similar.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

I think the 23 is right on par with where it’s prices have been going over the past few years. Obviously not seeing available option packages for apples to apples comparison but the BU prices seem to be in line. (My gut tells me the 24mxz probably has a few more bells and whistles)

What seems biased?

I'm true 'bu.

1 hour ago, shenard said:

Boat show price (with discounts) pretty loaded out on the Supra was the $132k.  I compared apples to apples to the ‘18 23LSV I have on order with the 575 supercharged and was another $10K ($142k) to have that engine which would put it $20K more than the LSV comparably equipped.  

glad I'm not in the south ...  so here's a comparison because I did negotiate on both.  2018 23LSV with 410 engine - some flake, G3 tower - with the normal options and standard trailer 142503.  Quoted 109650 before taxes.  SL400 100500.

sometimes I feel people are treating these numbers the same way they don't want to talk about how much they make ... pretty hysterical.  But this all goes back to the reference I made in a different thread that in some areas dealer may command higher prices ... wonder how long that lasts with interest rates creeping up ...

I just don't see interest rates having any impact on boat prices or volumes in the next few years since a 1% increase on $100K borrowed is $50/month. Rates are going up because the economy is strong, so most buyers of these boats are also going to be making at least an extra $50 a month around the same time as rates increase 1%.

All parties end at some point but you can go up 2-3% from current rates and I don't think it changes anything significantly until some macro hiccup slows the economy.

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

It means exactly what it claims to mean... asking prices by local dealers here in DFW (ie one of the largest boat markets in the country).  Nothing more nothing less.  

Sorry I let you down, Doc. But I am sure looking forward to all the data you’re gonna post after the Detroit show his weekend!!  

You also reported prices in garbage-USD-fiat currency.  pfft.  fail.

• Like 2