Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

She is gone!

maliboo

So you're going to let someone dunk the nose of that '03 on purpose Surprised.gif I haven't done mine yet, but I came close once.

That's the operative word GT: yet.

I hadn't dunked my bow the first two summers with it. I've done it probably no less than 5 times this summer. Each time it has been a direct result of having (1) a bunch of kids in the bow, and (2) massive rollers on the lake coming from wake machines all loaded down for surfing. Generally I am able to avoid it, but there are times you just can't.

It's all good though - it's never been enough water to make me think twice about the possibility of sinking. And the look of surprise on the face of the unsuspecting victim seated at the very front of the bow as the water comes rushing in on them is priceless! Shocking.gif Cleanup amounts to using about 5 full size towels to soak up most of the water from the carpet, then letting the boat air dry under the canopy on the lift. Haven't had any problem with mold/mildew.

Bottom line is that this is not an issue that would drive me to buy the '07, even if it does prove to be less susceptible to the occasional dunk. Like you described so well in the other thread, my '03 has those lines that make me want to lift the cover every chance I get through the winter just to check her out. Love.gif Not sure the '07 can do that for me... Dontknow.gif

Claire is an awesome driver. My favorite!!

Skisix, I would hazard a guess it was more than 25 gallons. And it was on a small private lake with no other boats even on the water. Point is, you can do it on any ski boat/inboard if you're not careful--or if you intend to soak someone. When I was in Grand Lake back in July with the 196 I had to be very careful of the big rollers--especially pulling a tube and with two big guys in the observer seat plus me driving. The bow liked to dip. Nonetheless, the windshield did get wet a few times.

Edited by SGY
It's all good though - it's never been enough water to make me think twice about the possibility of sinking. And the look of surprise on the face of the unsuspecting victim seated at the very front of the bow as the water comes rushing in on them is priceless! Shocking.gif Cleanup amounts to using about 5 full size towels to soak up most of the water from the carpet, then letting the boat air dry under the canopy on the lift.

Come on now Jerry! If you can clean up with 5 towels you're not doing it right! The few times I've done it in the RLXi I 've washed out the person in the front and the bounced off the inside top of the bimini after going over the windshield! It's not even wet until you need multiple 5 gal buckets to get it out.

I want to get enough pictures to be able to help determine if the new one has the sex appeal that the old one has. I walk into my garage everday and see the boat sitting there and think to myself "hello gorgeous", even if I'm not going to use her that day.

whats this idle flair you guys are talking about ? im having idle problems with mine . it idles between 500-1500. up and down. Help,... the dealer cant figure it out...

Edited by lxirod

Rod,

The idle flair mentioned occurs only when shifting in/out of gear. The engnie would rev (flair up) just a touch. If I remember correctly, Indmar changed the firmware a bit to increase the rpm's when going into gear to avoid stalling the engine. Not sure exactly why since I have never personally heard of anyone having stall problems and I never had them on my 2000 before the idle flair was put into place. I believe they eventually backed it out of the firmware and that any computers with that firmware can be reflashed with the updated firmware to remove it.

Hope I remembered that all ok.

Mike

Edited by mlange
I walk into my garage everday and see the boat sitting there and think to myself "hello gorgeous", even if I'm not going to use her that day.

Awesome feeling, isn't it? :)

maliboo: Love the colored plenum. I was think of flames myself.

I walk into my garage everday and see the boat sitting there and think to myself "hello gorgeous", even if I'm not going to use her that day.

Awesome feeling, isn't it? :)

I thought I had a problem about looking at the boat all the time, Love.gif but not any more.

Jerry: You heading over to Skier's Pier tomorrow evening for the 07 demo rides? I'll try to remember the camera.

It's all good though - it's never been enough water to make me think twice about the possibility of sinking. And the look of surprise on the face of the unsuspecting victim seated at the very front of the bow as the water comes rushing in on them is priceless! Shocking.gif Cleanup amounts to using about 5 full size towels to soak up most of the water from the carpet, then letting the boat air dry under the canopy on the lift.

Come on now Jerry! If you can clean up with 5 towels you're not doing it right! The few times I've done it in the RLXi I 've washed out the person in the front and the bounced off the inside top of the bimini after going over the windshield! It's not even wet until you need multiple 5 gal buckets to get it out.

I want to get enough pictures to be able to help determine if the new one has the sex appeal that the old one has. I walk into my garage everday and see the boat sitting there and think to myself "hello gorgeous", even if I'm not going to use her that day.

So you're going to let someone dunk the nose of that '03 on purpose Surprised.gif I haven't done mine yet, but I came close once.

That's the operative word GT: yet.

I hadn't dunked my bow the first two summers with it. I've done it probably no less than 5 times this summer. Each time it has been a direct result of having (1) a bunch of kids in the bow, and (2) massive rollers on the lake coming from wake machines all loaded down for surfing. Generally I am able to avoid it, but there are times you just can't.

It's all good though - it's never been enough water to make me think twice about the possibility of sinking. And the look of surprise on the face of the unsuspecting victim seated at the very front of the bow as the water comes rushing in on them is priceless! Shocking.gif Cleanup amounts to using about 5 full size towels to soak up most of the water from the carpet, then letting the boat air dry under the canopy on the lift. Haven't had any problem with mold/mildew.

Bottom line is that this is not an issue that would drive me to buy the '07, even if it does prove to be less susceptible to the occasional dunk. Like you described so well in the other thread, my '03 has those lines that make me want to lift the cover every chance I get through the winter just to check her out. Love.gif Not sure the '07 can do that for me... Dontknow.gif

First time user. I am just now in the market for a ski boat, and was about ready to buy an 06 Rlxi. After reading about the dunks I am questioning this. My wife has little boat experience, and I will need her to pull me. I think she may freak out if water comes over the bow and soaks my 11 year old. Also, we are on a large lake with many wakeboard boats. So now I am thinking about waiting for the 07, but am not pleased with the photos, so I am trying to convince myself that the 06 is OK. Just wondering a few things. If you are at ski speed and hit a large wake, will it dive into it? It sounds like the problem is only when throttling down and run into the wake? Correct? Also, if the boat is at idle or moored and waves roll in, will it come over the bow? I don't want this since it may be sitting in the water at our beach while we are taking a break. I would appreciate any input to help me in my decision.

If you are at ski speed and hit a large wake, will it dive into it?

Nope, not a worry.

It sounds like the problem is only when throttling down and run into the wake? Correct?

Yep. If you just learn to wait for your wake to pass you before you turn around, you'll be fine.

Also, if the boat is at idle or moored and waves roll in, will it come over the bow?

On a very rare occasion, this has happened to me. But it has to be a monster wake coming dead on the nose, with a couple waves coming at you - the first raises you up and drops you down, just in time for the second to hit. Even then, not much water will come over the bow.

Seriously, this is not a major issue. But the best thing for you is to test drive one to see for yourself.

First time user. I am just now in the market for a ski boat, and was about ready to buy an 06 Rlxi. After reading about the dunks I am questioning this. My wife has little boat experience, and I will need her to pull me. I think she may freak out if water comes over the bow and soaks my 11 year old. Also, we are on a large lake with many wakeboard boats. So now I am thinking about waiting for the 07, but am not pleased with the photos, so I am trying to convince myself that the 06 is OK. Just wondering a few things. If you are at ski speed and hit a large wake, will it dive into it? It sounds like the problem is only when throttling down and run into the wake? Correct? Also, if the boat is at idle or moored and waves roll in, will it come over the bow? I don't want this since it may be sitting in the water at our beach while we are taking a break. I would appreciate any input to help me in my decision.

This is something that you just need to be aware of, I don't consider it a problem and it has never entered my mind as a reason to not get a boat I wanted. The only time you have to be aware is at slow speeds, idle around with over 200lbs in the front and less than 1/2 tank in the back. Otherwise, I've taken some big rollers and not gotten wet( unless I meant to get someone wet). One thing to note here is that every ski boat has this propensity but, with varying degrees.

I would not let the small propensity of taking water over the bow stop you from buying an 06 RLXi. The new boat, at the margain, won't be any better at this. As Greg said, they all do it. Even the closed bows.

I just was in an 06 last night. Great boat. Skis nice. My wife was oooogling it big time. Lots of cool bling--but not too much IMHO.

Just got back from Skier's Pier 20th Anniversary party. Got a chance to take a quick ride and drive the 07 RLXi for about 10 minutes. This was one of Malibu's working proto-type boats, not fond of the colors though. I think the boat lines and windshield do look better in person and on the water then in the pictures I've seen so far. The new interior looks great, huge glove box and a little smaller rear seat bench. Boat drove and handled like a dream and both my wife and I thought it was better then our 05. Sorry forgot to take a picture of the wakes, at 34mph they did look smaller but the rooster looked taller. The new VTX looked good too and is supposed to become sanctioned 3 event boat. Looks like it might be our next boat in a couple of years if it really skis like they say it does.

100_1084-1.jpg

100-1089.jpg

Gawd Larry, those pics/colors look hideous. I trust it did look better in person... :( Wish I could have made it out there to see it live.

The outside of the boat with that gel pattern and color combo looked just as hideous in person. I hope they will have other pattern available, more of the classic look. The new inside looked great. I'm not sure about the new glove box, that billet door is very heavy and needs some kind of stop on it so it won't slam down in not latched .

Edited by onamission

It does look pretty clear that the bow is going to be less susceptible to dunking - looks like the rub rail at the nose at rest is a good 4" more above the water than mine. So I guess it's got that going for it. (Trying to be positive here...) :(

It does look pretty clear that the bow is going to be less susceptible to dunking - looks like the rub rail at the nose at rest is a good 4" more above the water than mine. So I guess it's got that going for it. (Trying to be positive here...) :(

It does look LESS susceptible Jerry. That's not worth the trade off in looks IMHO. This is a tournamet boat that has good application on bigger water. A big water boat that has good application to tournaments will get CC my money. Plain and simple.

• 1 month later...

This is something that you just need to be aware of, I don't consider it a problem and it has never entered my mind as a reason to not get a boat I wanted. The only time you have to be aware is at slow speeds, idle around with over 200lbs in the front and less than 1/2 tank in the back. Otherwise, I've taken some big rollers and not gotten wet( unless I meant to get someone wet). One thing to note here is that every ski boat has this propensity but, with varying degrees.

I was made aware of it before I even took delivery of my boat. I don't think about it at all unless there are more than 2 people up there. 2 seasons and not a drop over the wall. The '03-'06 RLXi is quite possibly the best all around watersports boat made by anyone.

This is the first year of having a malibu (05 response cb) and it is the first year of not having 1 dunk! Heck I even tried a bunch of times, but the long nose always kept us dry. Now having owned CC in the past and driving pro stars a fair amount I know all too well about the "DUNK", more than once I had everything in the boat floating and no 5 towles was going to fix it.