Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tribal delete

csparks13

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

What sort of docks are you tying up to?  In 17 years of ownership, the Malibu side decals on our boat have never touched a dock or a trailer guide pole.  That's what the rub rail is for.

I can't tell you because it's not my own boat that has the tribal decals getting all screwed up. Their customer boats. I just sent an 06 VLX in to have 2 big gouges repaired from whatever he's tieing up to. Our own docks have rubber edges & we instruct our guys to put bumpers out whenever possible. Plus we're in a marina with almost no current or flow. So I don't think it's happening at our place but at their own.

9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

What sort of docks are you tying up to?  In 17 years of ownership, the Malibu side decals on our boat have never touched a dock or a trailer guide pole.  That's what the rub rail is for.

Sounds like his dock is lower than the rub rail (mine too).

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

If it'll work with your dock, mount some permanent fenders.  They're a godsend.  Water can go up or down but the boat always has a nice surface to mate with.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MadMan said:

No doubt.

What I do see occasionally is old docks built on old growth logs. Some times the logs are pretty big around & will stick out further than the deck built on top of them. Definitely a poor design & can damage a boat that isn't tied up well & setup with good bumpers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of the '04 gel pattern with nothing on it. I'm not a fan of the tribal that is on my boat either. Has anyone found a decent decal to put there?

Negative. Eventually going to do the 14-16 WakeSetter decals I'm still thinking. Unless someone else has a rad idea, I can't come up with any lol. For now the stripped down version isn't bothering me horribly. 

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

Just now, Chopz said:

Negative. Eventually going to do the 14-16 WakeSetter decals I'm still thinking. Unless someone else has a rad idea, I can't come up with any lol. For now the stripped down version isn't bothering me horribly. 

image1.JPG

You missed one ;)  And if it were me I'd put an eye and some teeth in the "mouth"

15 minutes ago, Chopz said:

Oh that little guy? Hahaha yeah, I'm waiting for my "Don't Be A b****" sticker to come in for that little guy ;) 

It's like your boat has a tramp stamp... :)

I'm taking the boat on vacation for a week and keep thinking about pulling the decals off before rolling out.

What wax did you guys use after removal? I'm fairly confident there are going to be some bad shadows on mine.

1 hour ago, MikeDe said:

I'm taking the boat on vacation for a week and keep thinking about pulling the decals off before rolling out.

What wax did you guys use after removal? I'm fairly confident there are going to be some bad shadows on mine.

I had the same fear of deep shadowing but was pleasantly surprised. I used 3m Marine restorer and wax with a cheap orbital buffer from napa. Worked great! And the buffer helps make regular waxing that much easier, therefore making it happen more regularly lol. 

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

• Like 2
Just now, csparks13 said:

Make sure you have enough adhesive remover. That part will kick your butt if not. Jump in and get after it. It's worth the work. 

Thanks for the tip. I've always liked the naked look, but I've been apprehensive because of the color difference once removed.

Seeing the examples here has eased my mind that I can get it to match up for the most part. I guess worst case scenario I'll have it cleaned up professionally.

I didn't have a huge issue with residual adhesive, but what was left over came off with some goo gone and some elbow work. I was also lucky in that I didn't have to use a heat gun or anything else. 

Mine wasn't that bad either. But I only had a small can of goo gone so I used it sparingly. Two cans and it would have been easier. Used every drop. 

One side of my boat was in the 100 deg. Texas sun and it didn't help with the residue. I assume that's the same as a hair dryer but I'll actually never know. The stickers come right off with ease. It's the glue that stays behind on the larger side stickers. One side in the shade and one in the sun and they both removed with the same outcome. I'd definitely recommend someone try it with a heat gun and let the rest know. Super easy job if you can eliminate the residue removal part. 

I used some 3m aerosol adhesive remover when I got rid of the huge wakesetter decals on my boat.  Most of it peeled right off though.  The minor shadowing went away (on my black hull) with a mild compound.  Still have one small spot that I need to do more on some day.

• 2 weeks later...

From this.....

To this!!!

Decal came of in one piece and left a bit of a mess behind.  used goo gone and an old hotel key to scrape it off.  removed the remainder of the stubborn bits with a mr clean magic eraser.  worked like a champ.  thrilled with the outcome

37 minutes ago, anotherrunner83 said:

From this.....

To this!!!

Decal came of in one piece and left a bit of a mess behind.  used goo gone and an old hotel key to scrape it off.  removed the remainder of the stubborn bits with a mr clean magic eraser.  worked like a champ.  thrilled with the outcome

Looks much better. Definitely gives a timeless classis look to the boat.:rockon:

19 hours ago, anotherrunner83 said:

From this.....

To this!!!

Hell yeah! Looks great.