Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

These boats are EXPENSIVE!!!

drewsy77

9 hours ago, Arctic Slalom said:

the bigger thing which surprises me are the amount of very nice boats ($60-100K) which I NEVER SEE OFF THE LIFT!

what the balls? Who can lay out that kind of money and leave it as a lift queen?  

#confusing 

Hey I've been out twice this year so far! 

21 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

Strippers?

Best thing I've read in a while.  In any context, right and wrong.  Just take that word for what it is and you can't help but smile.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

A good buddy of mine is an inboard mechanic and he told me last year he saw more than a handful of brand new boats getting winterized with less than 1 hour on them.  He also said that he saw more than 30 new boats with less than 10 hours on them. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Arctic Slalom said:

the bigger thing which surprises me are the amount of very nice boats ($60-100K) which I NEVER SEE OFF THE LIFT!

what the balls? Who can lay out that kind of money and leave it as a lift queen?  

#confusing 

$60-100k try $90 to $180k.  There are 2 G 25s on my lake bought right when the released the G series(3 years ago?) and they've never been off the lift.  In fact, I know for a fact last year, one guy didnt even get on his boat to put it on or take it off the lift dealership did it for him as part of his winterizing/summerizing package.

Funny you mentioned the $60k number.  These are the boats I see getting used CONSTANTLY.  Axis/Moomba boats seem to get tons of use in my neck of the woods.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

hmm... I have already logged 50 hrs this year :yahoo:... and boat has been in shop for 10 weeks :( at beginning of year...

Edited by kerpluxal

Kind of on topic, but I used to dive out of West Palm Beach quite often years ago. Heading out through the marinas there were a lot of nice boats, ones that would use a 'bu as a dingy. Most had 5-6" of growth on the sides at the water line. I asked the dive master once why people don't use them. His reply, "It takes a lot of time at work to be able to afford a boat like that. You can buy it, just can't use it...."  Made sense at the time. I have a couple friends that work finance, make upper 6 digits base, low 7 digit bonuses. They don't have boats...  Oh, and they drink wine spritzers....

I know 2 of those lift queen owners.  One works very hard long hours and has plenty of money but NO time, so his cabin sits empty and boats unused.  The other is a friend's brother in law who's an investment banker doing a stint in London.  They have a beautiful lake home, Ri 237, and 2 PWC's.  They're only there one week of the summer.  Several more like them on the lake.

I guess it takes all kinds.  There was a group out on the lake in a new Ri ??? last weekend trying to surf ropeless with no success.  They had no clue and watched us pass them several times with 3 of us surfing off the old LSV.  I tried to catch the drivers eye in hopes they would trade a bit of instruction for a few sessions behind their boat (and perhaps make their acquaintance) but to no avail...

Good news it that there will be nice well maintained boats with low hours for sale as soon as the owners of these lift queens decide they want the "newest and best."  I'm sure @05hammerhead has a lot more in his West Metro neighborhood.

• Like 1

I purchased my boat out of college on a 12 year loan less than 4 years ago. Didn't even have a solid job yet I was still working in valet parking like I did through college. I made sacrifices on things like drinks at the bar and nice meals but less than 4 years later and 700 hours on the boat and it's paid for and I can likely get very close to what I have in it back out of it. Working on it yourself helps save tons of time and money also. I can fix something faster than I can tow to the a shop. The point I'm trying to make is you don't have to be rich you just have to be willing to give up something somewhere else. I don't make a ton of money but if I made what the OP makes I could have a nicer boat. Would I though? Probably not because what I have does the job and is easy and quick to repair. I feel like if I do upgrade it will be to a 23lsv similar to my vlx or a newer year axis. I'd rather be on the water on saturday not at the office working to pay for the 150k boat I now don't have time to use because I overspent. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

35k for a 2006 sounds like a good deal.  I won't be selling my 2004 anytime soon.  It's paid for and I'd have to spend 80k or more to feel it was worth the upgrade.  

If we really get into surfing GSA for 4k sounds like a no brainer compared to a new boat.  The funny thing is, at least around here the budget boats aren't selling like the 100k plus ones. You can get a new Axis or NXT or Moomba for 60-70k but the dealers here sell way more X23, G23 and 23LSV than budge boats.   Crazy.  

All I am gonna say is having gone from your hull to my MB, there is nothing you can do to make your wave like mine.  However, the wave was most certainly not so good it justified the price.  It is way less sketchy to drive / surf though, thing just cuts through chop, never have to worry about dunking the nose.  

Jeff C is dead on for how I feel about it too.  We talked & talked & said it was a waste, we'll save more & spend cash but then I realized we boat ALL the time, my kids are almost out of high school & will be gone & I decided we will never get these years back, the things I like to do I won't be able to physically do in my 60's so lets just do it & we did.  No regrets, we use the s*** out of it.

Edited by racer808
1 hour ago, 05hammerhead said:

A good buddy of mine is an inboard mechanic and he told me last year he saw more than a handful of brand new boats getting winterized with less than 1 hour on them.  He also said that he saw more than 30 new boats with less than 10 hours on them. 

I believe it, my last boss got a hair up his a**, ran out & bought a brand new 24' MXZ, he used it once & it's been sitting his shop since.

It's just sad seeing all these fancy new boats never used. There's a 24mxz and a lsv on my lake that rarely ever move. The boats that are used the most are always the 20 year old slalom tugs. 

5 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

It's just sad seeing all these fancy new boats never used. There's a 24mxz and a lsv on my lake that rarely ever move. The boats that are used the most are always the 20 year old slalom tugs. 

I really do NOT understand those situations.   I have had mine since May, already pushing 40 hours.  Im on track for a season > 100 hours, especially since I have a 6 day 5 night cabin rental with the family on the lake scheduled next month.   That will probably be at least 40-50 hours that weekend alone (and a LOT of gas).   I didnt buy the VLX to sit on the trailer and look pretty (although, IMHO, it does do that)

Edited by JeffC
5 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

The boats that are used the most are always the 20 year old slalom tugs. 

That's because they're the most fun to drive.

• Like 3

My second/third jobs pay for my boat.  Hence the fact that I am in the "only been out 2x this year" group :(.  Thankfully in two weeks I'll be done with my second/third work season and will be back on the water!!!!!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

hmm... I have already logged 50 hrs this year :yahoo:... and boat has been in shop for 10 weeks :( at beginning of year...

lucky your season is so long!

1 hour ago, JeffC said:

We might be a interesting study...   Took delivery of our 22VLX in May.    It was a hard decision, but:

•  

Resourced - in CO - an IBM'er perhaps?  

Wife and I are in similar situation with a few exceptions - both currently have great corporate jobs but we have no kids. I'm quickly approaching 50, she's a few years away. We will purchase a boat within the next 6 - 8 months and most likely brand new.  We will have it 100% paid for within 2 years of purchase. This boat will absolutely be our pre-retirement entertainment and recreation.

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

All I am gonna say is having gone from your hull to my MB, there is nothing you can do to make your wave like mine.  However, the wave was most certainly not so good it justified the price.  It is way less sketchy to drive / surf though, thing just cuts through chop, never have to worry about dunking the nose.  

Jeff C is dead on for how I feel about it too.  We talked & talked & said it was a waste, we'll save more & spend cash but then I realized we boat ALL the time, my kids are almost out of high school & will be gone & I decided we will never get these years back, the things I like to do I won't be able to physically do in my 60's so lets just do it & we did.  No regrets, we use the s*** out of it.

Well I'm 30 and my wife 28 so maybe in 10 years or so we'll come around.  Or maybe we'll pick up one of these 2017 boats that only got 10 hours this year.  

My 23lsv and the MB hull are way different, I know that.  Good thing we boat on smooth lakes.  Can you slalom behind your boat?  (no sarcasm, I don't know much about them) My boat is really a big ski boat.  Low free board, low bow flat bottom.   I wouldn't like it so much if we were on bigger water.  We put 100 hours on the clock last year.  Plus we ski with a club. And then there's all the time on family and friends boats.  We boat all the time too so maybe someday spending serious money will happen.  For now it seems pretty crazy but a lot can happen in 10-20 years.  

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

That's because they're the most fun to drive.

A buddy of mine just bought a 22ve in replace of his sportster and his first comment was this thing drives like a tank!

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

I don't view it as sad, I view it as an future opportunity to purchase my next boat depreciated with low hours.  That said, the used boat market right now is strong.  By contrast, in 2009 I bought my vRide.  It was a year old with 35 hours on the meter.  Bought it for a song given the financial state of the US at the time - seller just needed it gone ASAP.  Today, after owning it for 8 years and putting 450 hours on it, I'm confident I could resell it for more than I paid including the money I've spent on improvements.  I attribute that largely to the new boat pricing dragging up the used market pricing significantly.  I tend to agree with some of what others have already stated, I don't see the value in the new boats at the price point they're selling at.  Granted, there is R&D being recovered as part of the sale price but the increases year over year seems like a steep recovery curve.  Then again, they don't seem to have a problem with selling units and from a boat manufactures perspective if you can get it, why wouldn't you?  

41 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Well I'm 30 and my wife 28 so maybe in 10 years or so we'll come around.  Or maybe we'll pick up one of these 2017 boats that only got 10 hours this year.  

My 23lsv and the MB hull are way different, I know that.  Good thing we boat on smooth lakes.  Can you slalom behind your boat?  (no sarcasm, I don't know much about them) My boat is really a big ski boat.  Low free board, low bow flat bottom.   I wouldn't like it so much if we were on bigger water.  We put 100 hours on the clock last year.  Plus we ski with a club. And then there's all the time on family and friends boats.  We boat all the time too so maybe someday spending serious money will happen.  For now it seems pretty crazy but a lot can happen in 10-20 years.  

No, I don't think you'd want to ski behind my boat.  The wake sucks for boarding as well till you get above 19-20mph which sucks trying to teach someone or pull the younger guys.  I also have it so propped down for the 5400 pounds I use that I am at 27mph at 5k rpm.  I loved my Malibu but around here it gets so choppy & busy there were times it was frightening & it was either go drink in the cove or just go home cause we couldn't do much.  There is nothing wrong with the LSV, for some reason I thought you had the VLX, so your boat is throwing a fairly good wave.  My VLX had a respectable wave, big with good push but the sweet spot was small.  I was also sacking that thing out till we were inches out of the water though.  I have 10 years on you & there would be no way I would have done this purchase at 30 for various reasons.  A lot does change in a decade.  Good news is all the boats now have such amazing waves getting a 2017 in 2027 would still be an awesome boat. 

13 hours ago, Raffit78 said:

pharmaceutical sales or manufacturing. Another great option is to refi your house to buy a boat. 2nd option is nice, so you can tell your friends, "I paid cash" 

;) 

I have a friend that does that with everything he buys, and then brags that he paid cash for it, and it's "paid for"!! it's hilarious, yet hes about 150k upside down on his house, and business!! lmao

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Cmb396 said:

I have a friend that does that with everything he buys, and then brags that he paid cash for it, and it's "paid for"!! it's hilarious, yet hes about 150k upside down on his house, and business!! lmao

That the reason the notion of Net debt or equity has been invented in Finance: asset - liability = equity, Net debt = debt - cash. Gross approximation, but you get the idea. Looks like your friend might even have a negative equity if the bank did not really check all his assets and your friend was not careful when listing his debts and assets to his bank :).

6 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I think I have less than 3hrs this year..