Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05' Vride - strong gas smell?

I have a 2005 vride.  Everything worked as it should on our last outing last summer. This year-

1st outing we ran out if gas, the gas gauge stopped working. 

2nd outing seemed fine.

3rd time there is such a strong gas smell I had to put it back on the trailer. I noticed the gas gauge still does not work and neither do my ballast pumps? 

The ballast pumps don't concern me but the gas does. What do I need to check for this leak? I'm not seeing any connection or hose leaking but about a quart amount of gas drained from my rear plug.

thanks

Just now, dkilburn said:

I have a 2005 vride.  Everything worked as it should on our last outing last summer. This year-

1st outing we ran out if gas, the gas gauge stopped working. 

2nd outing seemed fine.

3rd time there is such a strong gas smell I had to put it back on the trailer. I noticed the gas gauge still does not work and neither do my ballast pumps? 

The ballast pumps don't concern me but the gas does. What do I need to check for this leak? I'm not seeing any connection or hose leaking but about a quart amount of gas drained from my rear plug.

thanks

what rear plug?   there is an overflow on the back (port?) side, gas will come out if you overfill your tank or even fill it full cold and the gas warms up or the boat/tank gets tilted

Glad you are concerned as this is not something you want to mess around with.  Anything remotely close to a quart of fuel in the bilge is stupid dangerous as there is plenty of opportunity for vapor to go kablammo.  You or someone needs to go through the fuel system before you take her out again.  As I posted in another thread, here is some food for thought about incidents involving "ignition of fuel or vapor":

2015 had 60 incidents with 33 injuries and 2 fatalities.  

2014 had 47 incidents with 37 injuries.

2013 had 52 incidents with 52 injuries.

2012 had 66 incidents with 50 injuries and 1 fatality. 

Given that these are reported incidents that meet criteria required by law, there is undoubtedly other incidents that go unreported...

http://www.uscgboating.org/statistics/accident_statistics.php

Edited by formulaben
4 hours ago, footndale said:

Check the fuel line from tank to engine. It could be rotting out.

Also check to see that your vent hose is still connected and in one piece.   Before your 3rd time out did you fill the gas tank up?

20 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Also check to see that your vent hose is still connected and in one piece.   Before your 3rd time out did you fill the gas tank up?

Yes, but looking at the side of my tank now it shows 3/4 full. I cleaned everything off and still an overpowering smell.

Just now, dkilburn said:

Yes, but looking at the side of my tank now it shows 3/4 full. I cleaned everything off and still an overpowering smell.

But no additional fuel in the bilge?

Gas stink takes forever to dissipate, open all the hatches and let it bake in the sun for a while.

Then either get someone to check it out for you or start really inspecting the fuel sender, fill and vent hoses.  Then have a look at the hoses to the fuel pump, filters and fuel rails.  Also check the bleed valve on the rail to see if it is leaking (system needs to be pressurized)

Thank you.  It was a cracked vent hose-so every wave or bump spilled a little out. 

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. 

• Like 3