Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What MPGs are you getting while towing?

Wilbur

I avg 12-14 in my 2016 Sierra Denali 2500HD running 75 mph pulling a 24 MXZ.  My wife tends to drive like she stole it, I'm sure it would be higher if she followed the speed limit....

This is very little hill driving/mostly flat.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, Cmb396 said:

It doesn't matter what I hook up, I  get 10mpg. 2011 F250, 6.7, 6" lift 37" toyos, H&S tuned and deleted.

i get 10 pulling box trailer, my boat, gooseneck flatbed with equip, 38' 5th wheel, or my boat. Only trailer I get better mileage with is my alum gooseneck horse trailer, and I get 12 for some reason?!?

We need pictures of these setups!

On 6/10/2017 at 5:25 AM, DAI said:

2015 F150 3.5lt Eco pulling a 2014 23 LSV and get 10-11 mpg at 65-70mph.  If i'm on county highways, i've seen 12-13mpg, but that is round 55-60mph, which seems to be the trucks sweet spot for mpg (towing and not towing).

+1 with 2.7 eco but not much better at all except in the sweet spot as you described , smaller boat though, A20 but I'm running the 3.73 which is rare for a 2.7 truck on the lot not ordered, love the torque from That rear end but when I really use that torque, much less mpg.  I baby it to get to sweet spot, if I start using cruise just for the few overpasses I go over it kills the whole trips mpg, but it's sure fun to watch it do its own thing without me babying it.  Also fun to watch it even without cruise to downshift going down the big bridges like I'm in the mountains, with 6 speed tranny unlike my older 2000 ram probably doesn't need tow haul, that would also improve mileage but my experience with older truck tranny replacement from towing in overdrive makes me fearful to do that, not towing lucky to get 21- 22 at 65-70, have to go 55 with cruise on flats to get the advertised 26

Edited by granddaddy55

Extreme Quality and towing power of the 5.7L Tundra with 4:30 gears come at a price:  6-8 MPGs towing ~8500lb boat w/trailer at 65-75mph.  13-15mpgs regular non-towing.  Quality 89 Shell gas vs crap 87 gas makes an immediate .5 to 1mpg difference.

111k miles, now nearly 8yrs old.... and not a SINGLE item anywhere on the truck other than regular maintenance.  Head. Lights need buffed clear... and starting to develop a small tear in the cloth drivers seat from my 200lb a** sliding in and out.  I wish brakes were more stout at these weights.

• 1 month later...

I had an 06 Chevy 2500 Duramax, w/12" lift and 38's, tuned, intake and exhaust... Got 10-12 pulling my Mastercraft X10.  

I now have a 16 ram 2500 Cummins, w/6" and 37's, tuned only, I get 12-14 with the 21 vlx which is close to 1000 pounds more...  

I loved the duramax (not to mention the Allison) but the Cummins is just a tug!!!  

• 3 weeks later...

Over the 15 years and 200,000 miles of my 04 Nissan Titans life, my mileage fell from 12 to 11mpgs.  Same trip every year and up to 6 years ago, multiple times a summer. Still have truck.

An update from my new truck.  I have had a few weeks towing with my 2017 F250, 6.2l with 3.73 rear end.  I have been getting just about 10 mpg, I have a few pretty good hills on my rounds trip to the lake, about 50 miles round trip.  That's towing A 2006 wakesetter vlx.  A few weeks ago I towed a 27 foot travel trailer that weighed just shy or 9000 andgot the same 10 mpg for a 400 mile round trip through upstate New york.  Shocking around town Im lucky to get 11mpg.

14 minutes ago, stags79 said:

An update from my new truck.  I have had a few weeks towing with my 2017 F250, 6.2l with 3.73 rear end.  I have been getting just about 10 mpg, I have a few pretty good hills on my rounds trip to the lake, about 50 miles round trip.  That's towing A 2006 wakesetter vlx.  A few weeks ago I towed a 27 foot travel trailer that weighed just shy or 9000 andgot the same 10 mpg for a 400 mile round trip through upstate New york.  Shocking around town Im lucky to get 11mpg.

I just drove a '17 F250 powerstroke the other day.  I'm considering replacing my '15 sierra.  My buddy gets an occasional 20+ on highway only and 15 or so mixed.  I'm not sure I could live with 11mpg daily.  That said, the upgrade cost of the powerstroke (~$8k) would buy a lot of gas .... :)

I have 2017 Ram 3500 SRW.  The Cummins is perfect, i ordered the basic tranny this time, not the Aisin.  I just don't need the extreme load capabilities.   

I pulled the RI257 4000 miles AZ to TN and back.  We averaged just over 10Mpg, empty is getting better as it breaks in.  It is just over 18 now.   

6 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I just drove a '17 F250 powerstroke the other day.  I'm considering replacing my '15 sierra.  My buddy gets an occasional 20+ on highway only and 15 or so mixed.  I'm not sure I could live with 11mpg daily.  That said, the upgrade cost of the powerstroke (~$8k) would buy a lot of gas .... :)

The difference is resale!  I have been trading trucks every couple years because they hold value so well.   Gasser's tank on resale!  My last truck i kept for almost 3 years put 55000 miles on it, and traded it in for 7500 less than i paid for it.  Similar with truck before that.    

I get 8.5-9mpg in my 14' F250 6.2 with 3.73 gears towing A22.  I run a SCT tuner with 89 tow tune.  We mostly run a lot of hills at 70-75mph for 250+ miles each way.  If I can keep her at 65mph then I might get upper 9s but the truck is heavy, the bed is loaded and boat ain't light.  I was hoping it would be a little better but it is what it is.  

The goods news is, I get about the same hauling big items 11K+.  I get around 15 on the highway and 12-13 combined non-towing.  I also run an 89 performance tune that's just bad-A$$. Makes the truck drink more but it feels like I'm driving the old 1/2 ton Ecoboost.  We bought the truck to haul the boat, the new camper (we will hopefully have in a few weeks) and other items.  I have a service truck with work so it's not really a daily driver and we take the wife's SUV if we're going anywhere else.

2 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I have 2017 Ram 3500 SRW.  The Cummins is perfect, i ordered the basic tranny this time, not the Aisin.  I just don't need the extreme load capabilities.   

I pulled the RI257 4000 miles AZ to TN and back.  We averaged just over 10Mpg, empty is getting better as it breaks in.  It is just over 18 now.   

Would love to see pics of your truck and boat and your initial feedback and impressions on the Ri

9 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Would love to see pics of your truck and boat and your initial feedback and impressions on the Ri

I love both.   The Ram Limited is freaking awesome.  The RI257 is unreal, i love it more everytime i take it out.   103 hours since March.   I will send PM to avoid sharing too much RI love on a Malibu thread.   

20170619_185918-1008x756.jpg

3464.jpeg

20170619_192421.jpg

• Like 2

My Dodge basically just stays hitched to the boat all season.  The boat launch is a couple miles away.  About half the time spent is backing in and out of the driveway,  in and out of the launch, etc.  Tank of gas lasts a couple months, but I only average ~6 mpg.

23 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Yeah, I had a 2011 powestroke 250 loaner for a month while I waited for my 2017.  I put 2000 miles on it in 4 weeks and got at best 14 around town 18 highway with it.  I only towed the boat with if for a short trip so can't say much about that.  

But for the cost of the diesel would take a lot of miles before the cost of the motors and increased maintenance would break even.  I just don't put on enough highway miles or pull enough weigh to justify the cost.  

As for loss on resale I plan to keep this truck for 150000 miles so I'm hard pressed to use that as a justification for the extra cost.  I could have made it work but would have had to get a base trim truck, for me the cost was better spent on a lariat trim rather than a motor upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Just towed my ~8500lb boat nearly 700miles with my 5.7L Tundra.  At 70-73mph.... usually get 6-7 MPGs .... generally at 3300rpms the whole way, and spikes to 4200rpms on hills.  With only a 23gal tank... that means stopping for gas every 2hrs.

for about 3hrs... I drafted about 60-80ft behind a loaded double decker semi-car hauler.  On the upper deck we're Ram panel vans... so it was extra tall.  We ran 75-77mph... and I was running my tallest gear at 2300rpms.... and was getting 8-9mpgs.  Never hit the 4th gear 4200rpm downshifts... and rarely even hit the 3500rpm downshifts.

i was watching my engine temp gauges... absolutely no indication of an overheat.

if you have a long haul... watch for the car carriers!