Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What MPGs are you getting while towing?

Wilbur

What kind of mpgs are you guys getting while towing your boats?

I towed my 15' A22 from San Diego to the Bay area today, about 450 miles, and ended up getting 7.6 mpg on a 13' Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi.

It's less than what I expected to get, but I seemed to have a bit of a head wind and I was going 65-70mph pretty much the entire way.

Edited by Wilbur
typo

Been averaging 10.2-10.5 on the past couple trips to Norris towing my boat. About 350 miles each way. 16 f150 ecoboost towing a 17 Craz and both packed with s***. Set the cruise at 70 and go. 

2015 F150 3.5lt Eco pulling a 2014 23 LSV and get 10-11 mpg at 65-70mph.  If i'm on county highways, i've seen 12-13mpg, but that is round 55-60mph, which seems to be the trucks sweet spot for mpg (towing and not towing).

10 - 12 depending on the speed from a 2005 Chevy 5.3 with +170k miles.  We've done extended trips to Shasta & Hells Canyon & never seen less than 10, even in the mountains. It doesn't always do 70 up the hill, but it's been getting the job done.

Brought a customer's 21' Supra to their home with me last night. Heading in this morning & picking up a 22' Chaparral.

• Like 1

I've seen 13/14 on my 17' 3.5 eco with the 10 speed if I can keep it at 55/60. If I don't set the cruise control, the truck always seems to be in the sweet spot at 75mph. Then my mpg's drop to 10. 

This is towing my 12' A22 

Still way way better than my 03' hemi that got 8. 

I usually got 13-14 mpg is my 2011 f150.  Had the 5.0 and 3.73 rear end.  Mostly towed 40-50 miles round trip to the launch.  

That was towing an 06 vlx.

Will have to see how the new rig does.  2017 f250 crew cab with the 6.2l and 3.73.  should have the boat back from the shop Monday or Tuesday.

Just went to Lake Havasu from Orange County. Got 9 mpg with my 2010 Sierra Denali (6.2L) towing a 17 VLX 21' and cruse control set at 65

Edited by phinz

I usually average of 10.8-11.3 on my 4WD Escalade with the (6.2L) towing my 14 23LSV back and forth to the local lake.  approx 60 miles round trip.

Speed plays a huge role in MPG.  With my Yukon XL Denali, I've seen as high as 12 MPG towing my 2014 LSV.  That is around 65 MPH.  Towing to/from Lake Powell, I ranged from 9.29 to 10.89, but speed was 70 - 75 MPH.

If I can keep speed to 65, I have seen 14 MPG in my 2012 RAM 3500 DRW.  But at 75-80, I am around 10.

ahopkins22LSV
10 hours ago, RyanB said:

Speed plays a huge role in MPG.  With my Yukon XL Denali, I've seen as high as 12 MPG towing my 2014 LSV.  That is around 65 MPH.  Towing to/from Lake Powell, I ranged from 9.29 to 10.89, but speed was 70 - 75 MPH.

If I can keep speed to 65, I have seen 14 MPG in my 2012 RAM 3500 DRW.  But at 75-80, I am around 10.

And terrain. 

I haven't towed long distance with my new truck yet. But I am very curious. Won't be going up north at all this year with it either :(

Towed my new boat home from Merced to Ridgefield , WA. back in April. Averaged 19.5 MPG on the way down and 14.5 on the way home towing 9400lbs.

2006 F-350 6.0l DRW 2wd of all things! They don't make them like they used to. ?

• Like 2

Depending on load, hills, and speed anywhere from 7-12MPG with 2010 tundra 5.7 engine and 4.3 rear. I bet I average somewhere between the high 9's and low 10's for most extended trips.

Edited by jetskipro550

I get 6-7mpg towing the boat with the 31' motorhome with a Ford V10.  Made several trips to Hell's Canyon and Lake Billy Chinook with the boat.  Good thing it has a 75gal tank.

The 2001 Tahoe with 5.3L V8 gets about 10mpg.

16 hours ago, Bawshogg said:

Towed my new boat home from Merced to Ridgefield , WA. back in April. Averaged 19.5 MPG on the way down and 14.5 on the way home towing 9400lbs.

2006 F-350 6.0l DRW 2wd of all things! They don't make them like they used to. ?

The irony of it all, is that new pollution-control systems is what is killing the fuel mileage.  It seems like burning a third more diesel would create more pollution than is saved, but I guess folks smarter than me thought about that already.  

• Like 2

Exactly. Just the boat and trailer with a full tank of gas. The trailer MSO states a weight of 1650 lbs. not sure if that's legit or not, but you can do the math. I unhooked it from the truck.

I also had the bed full of liquor and two other guys with me.. so not to shabby mileage wise. Makes it hard for me to want anything else. 

Edited by Bawshogg

It doesn't matter what I hook up, I  get 10mpg. 2011 F250, 6.7, 6" lift 37" toyos, H&S tuned and deleted.

i get 10 pulling box trailer, my boat, gooseneck flatbed with equip, 38' 5th wheel, or my boat. Only trailer I get better mileage with is my alum gooseneck horse trailer, and I get 12 for some reason?!?

4 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

The irony of it all, is that new pollution-control systems is what is killing the fuel mileage.  It seems like burning a third more diesel would create more pollution than is saved, but I guess folks smarter than me thought about that already.  

Not sure I agree with that.  The current crop of diesels seem to be getting higher MPG than anything before them, all while putting out significantly more HP and TQ.

MY FIL has a 2015 RAM 2500 Cummins that gets better MPG than my old 03 Cummins (which many would say was one of the best vintage 5.9).  My 03 put out 305/555.  FIL truck is 370/800.  And there is no penalty in MPG if you get the HO of 385/900.

IMO, these are the "good ole days" when it comes to truck engines.