Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 22MZX PORPOISE PROBLEM ANY IDEAS??

bottlefedsi

On 7/18/2017 at 3:56 PM, bottlefedsi said:

Yes they sure did, 2017 23LSV with 6 hours on it.  They even let me keep it at my dock in my lift until mine comes back.  I am telling ya, I have had nothing but problems with the product itself but the dealer who is Tommy's Florida have been nothing but exceptional.  I dont know of any other 120k toy dealer that would give you another brand new 120k toy to use while your is being fixed by the manufacture, that is customer service that is unmatched these days.  So if you are in the market in Florida, I highly suggest you go see the guys at Tommy's.

What's interesting is I have heard of about 5 boats from this particular dealership being sent back to the factory. Has anyone heard this happening from any other dealership or manufacturer? I've worked closely with all major brands and have never heard of boats being sent back to the factory, besides bu's.

I'm sure they received an incentive from Malibu to turn your loaner boat into a demo discounted boat when you return it. Dealerships aren't going to eat that cost. Nevertheless, nice of them to do that.

• Like 1

With my first 24 MXZ,  was a huge lemon.  Mechanical failures and terrible gel.  Malibu bought it back, they did not take it back to the factory and resolve the issues, instead it simply went on the used market with no gel warranty, as only mechanical transfers.  Lifetime structural i believe is lifetime only to available to first and second owner, third owner is SOL.   I may be mistaken, but i remember reading this somewhere. 

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

With my first 24 MXZ,  was a huge lemon.  Mechanical failures and terrible gel.  Malibu bought it back, they did not take it back to the factory and resolve the issues, instead it simply went on the used market with no gel warranty, as only mechanical transfers.  Lifetime structural i believe is lifetime only to available to first and second owner, third owner is SOL.   I may be mistaken, but i remember reading this somewhere. 

I am gonna give them one shot at fixing the issues, if the boat continues to give me additional issues then I will have them either build me a new boat or buy it back.  The thing that sucks is the hull issue isnt the only major issue I have had, thats what scares me.

17 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

I am gonna give them one shot at fixing the issues, if the boat continues to give me additional issues then I will have them either build me a new boat or buy it back.  The thing that sucks is the hull issue isnt the only major issue I have had, thats what scares me.

What other issues have you had?  I recall you said you lost VIPER power and couldn't start, but what else was there?

2 hours ago, wakerider107 said:

What's interesting is I have heard of about 5 boats from this particular dealership being sent back to the factory. Has anyone heard this happening from any other dealership or manufacturer? I've worked closely with all major brands and have never heard of boats being sent back to the factory, besides bu's.

I'm sure they received an incentive from Malibu to turn your loaner boat into a demo discounted boat when you return it. Dealerships aren't going to eat that cost. Nevertheless, nice of them to do that.

I've heard of boats going back that Malibu wanted to see for various reasons.  They warranteed the floor in 12 year old boat that I'm familiar with.  I view it as a good thing.

Doubt it.  Demo boats are a dealer's choice.  They cost the same from the factory to my knowledge.

I also heard the Florida is having a shortage of pixies, so some of the G are having screen issues....(all electronics in the G are installed by pixies)

Edited by DarkSide
13 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

What other issues have you had?  I recall you said you lost VIPER power and couldn't start, but what else was there?

I have had 2 O2 sensors go bad at different times, obvious hull issue, ECM problem, random stalling of motor.  Maybe these are just new boat growing pains but I had ZERO problems from my new Axis.

Just now, DarkSide said:

I also heard the Florida is having a shortage of pixies, so some of the G are having screen issues....(all electronics in the G are installed by pixies)

I hadnt heard of that but the do refer to my chain of lakes as "Malibuland" so not many nautiques out this way.  I do believe there would be a riot. lol

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, bottlefedsi said:

I have had 2 O2 sensors go bad at different times, obvious hull issue, ECM problem, random stalling of motor.  Maybe these are just new boat growing pains but I had ZERO problems from my new Axis.

Hmm Ford engine vs GM engine. :Tease3:

41 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

I can feel your growing pains. I have went behind and tightened ever screw and bolt and even moved gas struts around to make compartments actulally open more than  halfway. I really hope that they tightened engine mounting bolts and wedge bolts better than they did the swim platform brackets through hull. 

Yes I removed swim platform and tightened those yesterday due to port side was moving and bolts with nylon lock washers were handy.  

It's really getting old putting a boat together that i was assuming was assembled. 

On a high note. Had a conference call with area manager and cs rep and my dealer yesterday. And the trailer bunks I have been waiting on for 6 weeks, or that's what cs guy was telling me, well he ordered them Tuesday morning. Blaming their parts department. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. 

Edited by spikew919
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, bottlefedsi said:

As a 2017 owner myself I'm just curious, What is an "ecm problem" and What is "random stalling"?  Have you switched up where you buy gas?  Do you run any ethanol treatment?  Dealer  checked fuel system for any pressure-affecting blockages?

38 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

As a 2017 owner myself I'm just curious, What is an "ecm problem" and What is "random stalling"?  Have you switched up where you buy gas?  Do you run any ethanol treatment?  Dealer  checked fuel system for any pressure-affecting blockages?

I'm curios also, haven't seen you post pics of your 2017. You know we all want to see her. Pics or it didn't happen ?

• Like 2

Spike, I've never posted a picture of any boat I have ever owned, including other brands, or my numerous malibus, including a major rebuild that was well documented via prose only. 

That said, I have posted numerous times here about my 2017, and 2016 prior thereto.   I just don't post pictures.   

7 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Spike, I've never posted a picture of any boat I have ever owned, including other brands, or my numerous malibus, including a major rebuild that was well documented via prose only. 

That said, I have posted numerous times here about my 2017, and 2016 prior thereto.   I just don't post pictures.   

Oh, what 2017 do you have? When you get it, ordered it? Color? How many hours now? Just curious 

Edited by spikew919
1 hour ago, spikew919 said:

Oh, what 2017 do you have? When you get it, ordered it? Color? How many hours now? Just curious 

21 VLX.  Ordered January, arrived February, red, white, and charcoal.  20 hours.  2 check wedge cal warnings that never affected anything.

12 hours ago, spikew919 said:

I'm curios also, haven't seen you post pics of your 2017. You know we all want to see her. Pics or it didn't happen ?

I have no idea how to post pics.

13 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

The boat displayed a "loss of ECM signal" problem and left me stranded in the middle of the lake for a half hour before it just decided to start.  The stalling problem is also random, we would be cruising along at idle wake and bam, stall.  Yes we did try ethanol free fuel at various locations but to no avail, I was also told the dealer went through it and found no problems.

6 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

The boat displayed a "loss of ECM signal" problem and left me stranded in the middle of the lake for a half hour before it just decided to start.  The stalling problem is also random, we would be cruising along at idle wake and bam, stall.  Yes we did try ethanol free fuel at various locations but to no avail, I was also told the dealer went through it and found no problems.

Loss of ECM signal suggests a bad connection at the harness.  What does "stall" mean?  Shut down from idle?  And then it started?

22 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

I have no idea how to post pics.

That was directed at 85barefoot. But if you want to add pics, download the image sizer app from App Store. And you can use it to make them small enough to add. If you are a paid member. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I've heard of boats going back that Malibu wanted to see for various reasons.  They warranteed the floor in 12 year old boat that I'm familiar with.  I view it as a good thing.

Doubt it.  Demo boats are a dealer's choice.  They cost the same from the factory to my knowledge.

It's a good thing that they are standing behind the warranty, it's just strange that there seem to be quite a few boats sent back to the factory because there are issues that the dealership can't take care of. I haven't seen this with Nautique or MC at all, in my experience at least.

Manufacturers typically offer dealerships discounts/reimbursments for demo boats registered with the manufacturer.

Just now, wakerider107 said:

It's a good thing that they are standing behind the warranty, it's just strange that there seem to be quite a few boats sent back to the factory because there are issues that the dealership can't take care of. I haven't seen this with Nautique or MC at all, in my experience at least.

Manufacturers typically offer dealerships discounts/reimbursments for demo boats registered with the manufacturer.

how many is "quite a few"?

• Like 1

Innstead of a asking how many is quite a few, I think you should be asking what the acceptable number going back is. And if the boats had been constructed right and then actually checked by this mythical QC then that number should be zero, and definition of zero is none, nota, zilch! ? Just saying 

• Like 3