Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 22MZX PORPOISE PROBLEM ANY IDEAS??

bottlefedsi

Yeah, super normal across all MFGs. This last wave of boats are much bigger--consider the weight and keel-drop of a 2017 22MXZ vs your 2016 A22. Why are people trying to go 30 in a wake boat? It is like buying a tractor and being upset about its 1/4 mile time. If you boat is proposing so bad that the entire boat is coming out of the water--that is driver error. Feather out the bounce or what it is likely being caused by is jumping your initial stern roller. Easy into it. You can't just slam the throttle.

I don't think a prop will fix the problem and I definitely don't think duct tape will either.

5 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Another way to look at this is that they are simply adding the hook that was missing in the factory mold.

How would you "extend" a factory lifetime structural warranty exactly?

I would ask for a supplemental warranty with specific verbiage addressing the repair including the entire area effected. It should read that the repairs were performed and signed off by Malibu. It should also include some sort of exclusive transferrable warranty in the event the original owner would like to sell the boat. Thanks for the clarification that the hull already has a lifetime structural warranty captain obvious. I would just want in writing that the now, non-original repair was done by the manufacturer so that there is no misunderstanding in the future. Not just a blip in a system that says "repair to hull" without background paperwork.    

1 hour ago, JustinHarrelson said:

Why are people trying to go 30 in a wake boat? It is like buying a tractor and being upset about its 1/4 mile time.

What If you live on a big lake?  Your going to do 10mph all the way there?    What if you wanna pull a skier?  It's unacceptable.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ChadRod said:

I would ask for a supplemental warranty with specific verbiage addressing the repair including the entire area effected. It should read that the repairs were performed and signed off by Malibu. It should also include some sort of exclusive transferrable warranty in the event the original owner would like to sell the boat. Thanks for the clarification that the hull already has a lifetime structural warranty captain obvious. I would just want in writing that the now, non-original repair was done by the manufacturer so that there is no misunderstanding in the future. Not just a blip in a system that says "repair to hull" without background paperwork.    

If the manufacturer does the repair they have it on record.

It is warrantied with the system on the boat it involves and then carries that factory warranty.

No need to over complicate the situation. They will repair it, the customer will be happy and life goes on.

Believe it or not, most manufacturers out there are not out to screw the consumer like some seem to think.

@JustinHarrelson  I got to disagree that is normal.    Sure, I didn't buy my LSV to scream across the lake, but when we are on big water with minimal chop, I enjoy opening it up.  It will hit about 39 MPH with no sign of porpoising.    We once did 50 miles on the water from a buddy's lake house to BroStock and in between wakeboarding sets, we were running 35 or so in my buddies 247 for miles and miles.  

Everyone can feel free to disagree away, but I am talking about what most large V-drives actually do on the water--not what they should do. If there is someone to blame it would be the salesman that told you that a 22MXZ would perform well past 30mph. I'm seeing a lot of comparisons, but does anyone have a 17 MXZ that doesn't have this issue?

I'm on my 9th Malibu (8th Vdrive). I do not own a 2017 MXZ, but I have 10-20Hrs in both the 24 and the 22 (2017s). They are plows (In the most awesome way). RPMs alone would keep me out of the 30s. These boats are optimized between 10-24mph. I've pulled guys who insist on riding faster than 24 and experienced problems at that speed. Waterskiing--except on a super fat ski is just out. These are wake/wave machines--not comfortable cruise the lake boats and not ski boats either. Heck, Malibu owns Cobalt now and they have shared surfgate with Chaparral. Those boats kill it at crossing big lakes, but you will have to give up some wake. You have to decide what you want: Monster wake or cruising ability. Wakeboats have become too extreme to do both well.

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Bawshogg said:

You guys are NOT gonna believe this!!!!

I went 39.5 mph in my nearly 26 ft wake boat today that outweighs just about ANY other wake boat ever made! Never pulled a "FLIPPER" on me AT ALL! Even with 17 kids in it! :surprised:

I know I know.... how can it be ??? It IS a wakeboat last I checked .... or maybe it's some wacky hybrid cross over /cruiser...who knows. 

@JustinHarrelson..... you sir ....keep on that corporate D... sounds like it's done you REAL good.

Well that's not a fair comparison. Any additional length and weight further forward helps eliminate the possibility of porpoising. Clearly we all need 30-35' wakeboats. ;)

But in all seriousness, this sucks big time for the OP and anyone else affected by what sounds like a bad mold from what I have read here. However it sounds like A) Malibu and B) the OP's dealer are stepping up correctly. Malibu is going to take the boat back and refinish the hull to make design intent. And maybe that design intent is even after an engineering/design change. And the dealer is providing a loaner boat it I read everything correctly. So again I agree it sucks and if it was my 22 MXZ I'd be pissed, frustrated, upset, all of the above as well! But anyone who expects a brand new model of anything in manufacturing from Swiss watches to Toyota corolla's to Lamborghini's to Malibu bots to be PERFECT and have no engineering changes after things get out in the wild is living in a fairy tale land. Ask anyone in manufacturing, anyone! We all strive to make our processes perfect but it doesn't always work. And yes, this should have been caught in testing. But we have no idea if this was the first l, second or third mold. During launch you don't have all of your multiple production streams setup right away. There, call me a fan boy or whatever but everything that is manufactured goes trough this.

Its nice to read that the dealer and Malibu seem to be taking all of the right steps even though a problem like this would be frustrating as you know what to have. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I own a pipe business. I don't work for Malibu or am I sponsored. Bawshogg, see you next year when I am searching for photos of the 2019s--by then you could have 3000posts if you work hard and stay dedicated. I wonder how many wake-sets you will post between here and there?

Edited by JustinHarrelson
21 hours ago, JustinHarrelson said:

Yeah, super normal across all MFGs. This last wave of boats are much bigger--consider the weight and keel-drop of a 2017 22MXZ vs your 2016 A22. Why are people trying to go 30 in a wake boat? It is like buying a tractor and being upset about its 1/4 mile time. If you boat is proposing so bad that the entire boat is coming out of the water--that is driver error. Feather out the bounce or what it is likely being caused by is jumping your initial stern roller. Easy into it. You can't just slam the throttle.

I don't think a prop will fix the problem and I definitely don't think duct tape will either.

You should get out in one of the new Malibu that porpoise. Mine would porpoise at 26 MPH. It has nothing to do with driving technique. While I don't think it's the case here the prop can make a difference. Different blade shapes and cup can produce more or less stern lift.

18 hours ago, JustinHarrelson said:

Everyone can feel free to disagree away, but I am talking about what most large V-drives actually do on the water--not what they should do. If there is someone to blame it would be the salesman that told you that a 22MXZ would perform well past 30mph. I'm seeing a lot of comparisons, but does anyone have a 17 MXZ that doesn't have this issue?

I'm on my 9th Malibu (8th Vdrive). I do not own a 2017 MXZ, but I have 10-20Hrs in both the 24 and the 22 (2017s). They are plows (In the most awesome way). RPMs alone would keep me out of the 30s. These boats are optimized between 10-24mph. I've pulled guys who insist on riding faster than 24 and experienced problems at that speed. Waterskiing--except on a super fat ski is just out. These are wake/wave machines--not comfortable cruise the lake boats and not ski boats either. Heck, Malibu owns Cobalt now and they have shared surfgate with Chaparral. Those boats kill it at crossing big lakes, but you will have to give up some wake. You have to decide what you want: Monster wake or cruising ability. Wakeboats have become too extreme to do both well.

If this is true it's sad that Malibu can't build a boat that will cruise at a reasonable speed without undesirable handling issues. Perhaps they need to hire Nautiques engineers. I tried everything to induce a porpoise in their G21and G23 after my poor experience with a VLX. Could not make it happen. My new LSV will run 41 MPH with zero tendency to porpoise even with the aft tanks still partially filled. 

Malibu must have used the "good" mold for my 17 22 MXZ.  I have had no problems like the OP, granted I live on a smaller lake and don't cruise long distances above 30 MPH.  I have opened it up a few times and got to about 35, no porpoising but it seemed like the engine was screaming.  I feel cruising at about 25 is the sweet spot.  And for what it is worth - the wave is tall, long and oh so sweet compared to the 16 VLX I had last year.      

• Like 4
On 5/31/2017 at 5:20 PM, Slurpee said:

Completely disagree.  I have a 22 VLX. No porpoising at all.  It's only going to happen if you're running heavy with too much in the rear.  And I've run a lot of props.  But perhaps you meant 22MXZ.  In which case I have no idea at all.  

But DEFINITELY @bottlefedsi if you are in Florida lose that 2249 with absolutely ZERO worries.  Make your dealer take the prop back.  Just my opinion.  It's the absolutely wrong prop for you.  If they didn't learn their lesson in 2016 not to prop these new engine/tranny's as if they were 2015 and earlier boats it's time to educate them.  Get a 2277 and be happy.  More pitch is going to give your engine and cruise control much more range to work with at high speeds.

I'm interested to see how many more folks come out and comment with this boat now that the thread is up.  Is there a trim issue with the hull shape at speed?  Probably not, but I'm keen to see.  Cuz I REALLY like the '17 22MXZ.

No Porpoising on my 22 VLX With or without weight in the bow! 

• Like 2

No porpoising in any of my Malibus (21 VLX, 23 LSV, 25 LSV). In my 25 I regularly "cruise" at 30-34mph. The boat rides like a dream and makes a mackin' wave too; just doesn't ski so well... I guess if you want a 5000 lb boat that skis well you gotta look at Nautique or Mastercraft. :lol:

I would love to experience the cruising ability of a 257... probably feels like floating on air. 

I have reported here about a friends 13 VLX (wake hull) that had a tendency to porpoise while mine didn't (diamond). I attributed it to his wake hull vs my diamond but other respected members shared that they have experienced no ill handling characteristics out of their same year/same model boats. Guess this has been going on for a while. The porpoising I have personally experienced in a 2013 was also about 30mph+ as it happened at about ski speed.   A 2013 VLX is not a Bohemith like the 17MXZ. I am in the camp of "it's not acceptable" for any wakeboard to porpise at any speed the engine/prop are able to push it. This makes me think about the earlie days of Malibu when other boat companies were using trim tabs to control ride and wakes and Malibu had the philosophy of a properly designed hull doesn't need trim tabs. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, IXFE said:

I would love to experience the cruising ability of a 257... probably feels like floating on air. 

@IXFE - Make a trip up to Canada sometime, I'll let you see for yourself...... lol. It's pretty awesome.

11 hours ago, IXFE said:

No porpoising in any of my Malibus (21 VLX, 23 LSV, 25 LSV). In my 25 I regularly "cruise" at 30-34mph. The boat rides like a dream and makes a mackin' wave too; just doesn't ski so well... I guess if you want a 5000 lb boat that skis well you gotta look at Nautique or Mastercraft. :lol:

I rarely cruise above 23, with the engine/prop/tranny that I chose.  My top speed is 32, I have a second prop that allows me to hit 36, but my lakes are so small, i just don't cruise fast.   The Super Charged boats hit 40, and cruise at 30 with ease, but I only do significant cruising 1x a year, so for me it was not worth the $10k upgrade.   If I lived on bigger lakes like norris where a 20+ mile cruise is normal, I would likely pony up the $$$

I hit 39.5 in mine Joe, but that was going with the current as I typically boat on rivers..with just a driver and passenger. Typical current is 1-2 mph right now. I currently have the 16x15 on mine  But even 37 is pretty dang good .

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bawshogg said:

I hit 39.5 in mine Joe, but that was going with the current as I typically boat on rivers..with just a driver and passenger. Typical current is 1-2 mph right now. I currently have the 16x15 on mine  But even 37 is pretty dang good .

I can hit 36 with that one @2200' with 5 people and 1000 pounds of lead.   It struggles a bit with big crew and everything full, I usually then drain 300-400 pounds.   

The 16x13 does not have any weight limitations that I have found.   Just limits speed, but 99% of the time my cruise is under 2 miles so not an issue.

1 hour ago, bottlefedsi said:

UPDATE...........The boat is currently on its way back to the factory for the hull repair.  I am told it will take a week plus the transport back and forth, i just hope the boat comes back fixed and they dont create any others or destroy my interior and what not in the meantime.  I will keep every posted when she returns.

Hope it all works out well for you from here. 

Also nice to see the factory doesn't think all wakeboats are meant to porpoise either.

• Like 1