Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 22MZX PORPOISE PROBLEM ANY IDEAS??

bottlefedsi

48 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I vote for new boat... (unless there are significant details we are missing which is very possible) 

But would you want another MXZ?

Just now, shawndoggy said:

Call me crazy but wouldn't it be easy enough to prove that up by, you know, running a 2 inch strip of duct tape from side to side on the transom?

I am gonna try that this sat as my lift goes high enough reach it

This whole thread is interesting since my MXZ does porpoise a little...even with 200lbs of lead.  The bow rise is significant, but the performance of the wave/wake is excellent.  It is hands down better than my 23 was, so I can't complain too much.  The hull design is certainly 'butt' heavy.

Just now, tjklein said:

This whole thread is interesting since my MXZ does porpoise a little...even with 200lbs of lead.  The bow rise is significant, but the performance of the wave/wake is excellent.  It is hands down better than my 23 was, so I can't complain too much.  The hull design is certainly 'butt' heavy.

I agree with everything you said but having to set the cruise at 29.9 MPH when you just wanna run across the lake or head home is annoying not to mention embarrassing if you forget and almost throw the bow riders to the back lol.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

If there was a "structural" issue with a new vehicle that can easily be repaired I can guarantee you that the auto manufacturer will repair it.

How many thousands of Toyota truck owners out there that had a new frame put under their truck due to them rusting out?

http://www.toyotaframesettlement.com/

Roughly 800k were affected.

I'm no rust expert, but Japanese rust must be the CHUCK NORRIS grade rust. To destroy a truck frame in a month. I mean the op had his boat roughly a month. 

Just a thought, may want to think a little before bringing a comparison like that to the table ?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

UPDATE!!! I spoke to Roy again today at Malibu corporate.  He states the size of the repair would be equal to running a 2 inch strip of duct tape from side to side on the transom and that will flatten out the boat at high speeds.  I have no knowledge in how boats are built and designed but the thickness of duct tape seems unrealistic in changing anythig.   I will for sure be questioning how this is gonna affect the wave/wake and am very disappointed in Malibu at this point.  This is not the first problem I have had with this thing either (previous posts) so no I do not have a warm fuzzy feeling about Malibu.  For me, the worst part is I will most likely never buy another Malibu product again based on fact I will always have this situation in the back of my head and I usually trade up after 2 years.  Shoot, the A22 I just traded for this was half the money and zero problems but I felt the Malibu product would be that much better, WRONG. JS

He is talking about adding a little hook to the stern. ¼ inch of hook can make a huge difference in how a boat performs. It will also change how the boat surfs and boards. 

We demoed everything!!!  A 22 Mxz with the  410 and one with 450, G21 and G23 but just kept coming. Back to the MXZ because the wave for surfing was just so unreal.  I will say the  MXZ's we demoed had much better waves and not as much bow rise, even on ramp we have to almost stand to drive, which was my complaint about axis, so maybe the "hook" will help with the wave and bow rise on my MXZ.

12 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

They meant they would add some glass at about the width of a strip of tape to create some hook across the stern.

That's what I took it to mean also, but it's less witty that way.  :)

18 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

Personal opinion only. Malibu has a bad mold. To check for hook or lack of hook you put a straight edge on the hull. I don't buy the not enough glass. Regardless of the thickness of the glass the hull will conform to the mold. As boats age hulls will hook a little especially if the boat is not bunked properly on the trailer. I have never heard of them unhooking so to speak. They probably realized after several complaints and checking those hulls the last few inches of the hull did not conform to the design spec. Further investigation probably traced it back to one mold. If adding glass is to bring the rear of the hull to the design spec is the fix than things should be fine. If the hull is in spec now and they want to hook the hull to stop the porpoise I would consider that unacceptable. 

On the duct tape comment I don't think Malibu meant a strip of tape. The meant they would add some glass at about the width of a strip of tape to create some hook across the stern.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking when I asked about the number of molds in circulation at one time for a model.  It makes the most sense.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the molds themselves are built and how many are used at one time in the line and how many shots they get before being retired?  Just curious.

Wow, just got through this thread.  I have a '17 22 VLX with 6.2L supercharged V-8.  Can't cruise in it above 30 mph because it porpoises so badly.  I've tried similar things, moving people around, etc., but doesn't make much difference.  For now, I just slow down, and don't get to enjoy all that HP and torque except for briefly, out of the hole.  I'll try bow ballast, but shouldn't have to (and putting people up there didn't do it).  Lift from the bimini is plausible, but how much lift can it generate at 32 mph???  I'll continue to follow this thread, but depending on what I learn on the water this weekend, it's time for me to call Malibu. 

17 minutes ago, Beef996R said:

Wow, just got through this thread.  I have a '17 22 VLX with 6.2L supercharged V-8.  Can't cruise in it above 30 mph because it porpoises so badly.  I've tried similar things, moving people around, etc., but doesn't make much difference.  For now, I just slow down, and don't get to enjoy all that HP and torque except for briefly, out of the hole.  I'll try bow ballast, but shouldn't have to (and putting people up there didn't do it).  Lift from the bimini is plausible, but how much lift can it generate at 32 mph???  I'll continue to follow this thread, but depending on what I learn on the water this weekend, it's time for me to call Malibu. 

Out of curiosity do you have a wake hull or a diamond hull on your 22VLX?

Wake hull. 

OBTW, just spoke to Gary at Malibu customer service.  He said they have had the porpoising issue with several 22 MXZs, but he wasn't aware of any on 22 VLXs.  He asked me to get video this weekend for him to analyze, and then we'll talk again.  At least they are listening.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Beef996R said:

Wake hull. 

OBTW, just spoke to Gary at Malibu customer service.  He said they have had the porpoising issue with several 22 MXZs, but he wasn't aware of any on 22 VLXs.  He asked me to get video this weekend for him to analyze, and then we'll talk again.  At least they are listening.

I had the issue with my 2016 VLX also. Not as bad as these reports but with any rear weight bias the boat porpoised. I finally just kept the bow tank about half full. Solution was to swap it for a LSV. Malibu was aware of the issue on my VLX.

So I have a 2017 22MXZ. I have not experienced the porpoising at all. I've had the boat up to 32mph all ballasts empty people sitting beside the driver and in the back. I gotta say though, running at 32mph the engine is screaming. Admittedly I have no idea what prop I have. I just can't imagine "cruising" with the motor turning RPMs so high. To the OP if I was in your shoes I would trust Malibu to make it right. I would most certainly ask for an extended hull warranty and write off on a visual inspection. CYA is a good policy. That said, I would feel sick. I'm the guy in the wipe down lane detailing my boat after every outing after so many others have pulled and left. I plan on having her for many many moons. I've never owned a $120K toy. 

• Like 2
On 7/8/2017 at 1:15 AM, ChadRod said:

So I have a 2017 22MXZ. I have not experienced the porpoising at all. I've had the boat up to 32mph all ballasts empty people sitting beside the driver and in the back. I gotta say though, running at 32mph the engine is screaming. Admittedly I have no idea what prop I have. I just can't imagine "cruising" with the motor turning RPMs so high. To the OP if I was in your shoes I would trust Malibu to make it right. I would most certainly ask for an extended hull warranty and write off on a visual inspection. CYA is a good policy. That said, I would feel sick. I'm the guy in the wipe down lane detailing my boat after every outing after so many others have pulled and left. I plan on having her for many many moons. I've never owned a $120K toy. 

Another way to look at this is that they are simply adding the hook that was missing in the factory mold.

How would you "extend" a factory lifetime structural warranty exactly?

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 1

I haven't read every post on this thread, but is the gist of it is that your MXZ propouses at 30+??? If going 30+ cruising is something you value, I'd leave the Vdrive market all together. Malibu has experimented with lifting elements to keep this from happening (diamond hull) and it definitely affects the quality of the wakeboard/surf wake. It isn't a defect--It is a trade-off. Wakeboats just aren't efficient--they are built to drag, not cruise. 

Malibu's response is boggling to me. If someone came to me and said that their wake boat porpoises at 30--I'd say, "duh". That isn't what they are made for. Now if your response was doing it, that would be a real problem that needs to be fixed.

Maybe look to a reverse stern-drive. They actually aren't that bad and can cut through chop no problem at 30+.

Just now, JustinHarrelson said:

I haven't read every post on this thread, but is the gist of it is that your MXZ propouses at 30+??? If going 30+ cruising is something you value, I'd leave the Vdrive market all together. Malibu has experimented with lifting elements to keep this from happening (diamond hull) and it definitely affects the quality of the wakeboard/surf wake. It isn't a defect--It is a trade-off. Wakeboats just aren't efficient--they are built to drag, not cruise. 

Malibu's response is boggling to me. If someone came to me and said that their wake boat porpoises at 30--I'd say, "duh". That isn't what they are made for. Now if your response was doing it, that would be a real problem that needs to be fixed.

Maybe look to a reverse stern-drive. They actually aren't that bad and can cut through chop no problem at 30+.

Wait so hold on, your telling me that because its a v drive that is normal for it to porpoise so bad it comes out of the water?? If that is true then why did my 2016 A22 ride perfect abouit 30, nor did any of the competitors boats do that.

• Like 3