Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 22MZX PORPOISE PROBLEM ANY IDEAS??

bottlefedsi

19 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Hope it all works out well for you from here. 

Also nice to see the factory doesn't think all wakeboats are meant to porpoise either.

Only fanboys believe Malibu boats are meant to porpoise :)

1 hour ago, bottlefedsi said:

UPDATE...........The boat is currently on its way back to the factory for the hull repair.  I am told it will take a week plus the transport back and forth, i just hope the boat comes back fixed and they dont create any others or destroy my interior and what not in the meantime.  I will keep every posted when she returns.

Good to hear.  Did you take pictures of the interior and exterior just to document it's condition when it left your possession?  Hopefully not needed, but nice to have just in case there are any issues when returned.

16 hours ago, isellacuras said:

This makes me think about the earlie days of Malibu when other boat companies were using trim tabs to control ride and wakes and Malibu had the philosophy of a properly designed hull doesn't need trim tabs. 

I chuckled at this because it reminded me of the first day I laid eyes on what eventually became my first boat (a 21'er, not a Malibu). It was at the Portland boat show and the OWNER of the boat company was in the booth that day. I was new to wakeboats, but had done TONS of research in the YEARS leading up to his moment (does that surprise anybody?) so I was asking all sorts of questions...

IXFE: So how come this boat doesn't have a trim tab like I see on so many other boats?

OWNER: My boats don't need them.

IXFE: Haha, seriously why no trim tab?  Can I order one?

OWNER: Like I said, my boats don't need 'em because of the hull design. 

I bought the boat and it porpoised like a mofo at speeds > 30 mph. The next year trim tabs became a factory option on those boats. If you go ask the forum you'll be told that it's a MUST HAVE option. So much for that superior hull design!

I chuckle every time I'm reminded of that conversation. 

14 hours ago, DAI said:

Good to hear.  Did you take pictures of the interior and exterior just to document it's condition when it left your possession?  Hopefully not needed, but nice to have just in case there are any issues when returned.

Oh yeah, took tons of pics and full video walk around of interior and exterior.  If I see one thing out of place there will be hell to pay.

42 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

Oh yeah, took tons of pics and full video walk around of interior and exterior.  If I see one thing out of place there will be hell to pay.

42 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

Your optimism of them taking care of the situation is awesome....

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Your optimism of them taking care of the situation is awesome....

LOL....I think they will do just fine, cant hurt to be prepared if they dont.

2 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

LOL....I think they will do just fine, cant hurt to be prepared if they dont.

Maybe I misinterpreted the tone of your posts but they certainly don't read that way at all.

11 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Maybe I misinterpreted the tone of your posts but they certainly don't read that way at all.

Yeah my bad, I may have been alittle excited lol

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

40 mph top speed in a 5900 dry weight G23 here.  ZERO porpoising here at ANY speed.  

Comfortable cruising speed?  28-32 mph

Then again, the G23 floats on a thin layer of the secretions of an Australian wombat.  It is the slickest substance on earth.  So not really a fair comparison.  

The funny thing is I had a deposit on a 17 G23 but went with the MXZ, dont get me wrong I love the MXZ but I have had second thoughts with all of the problems.

18 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

The funny thing is I had a deposit on a 17 G23 but went with the MXZ, dont get me wrong I love the MXZ but I have had second thoughts with all of the problems.

@bamaboy seems like a decent dude. Maybe he'll take you for a ride in his while yours is being repaired. You could even send some pics to Malibu while you're at it. Might speed up the process some. :lol:

3 hours ago, bamaboy said:

40 mph top speed in a 5900 dry weight G23 here.  ZERO porpoising here at ANY speed.  

Comfortable cruising speed?  28-32 mph

Then again, the G23 floats on a thin layer of the secretions of an Australian wombat.  It is the slickest substance on earth.  So not really a fair comparison.  

I thought they were just an oversized bathtub.

• Like 3
Just now, spikew919 said:

Just glad to see someone's boat is going to be fixed, going on 2 months and my poor M is still getting hull damage from trailer every time I haul it.   ????

Wait... wut?

What do you mean hull damage?  

Edited by bamaboy
Just now, bamaboy said:

Wait... wut?

What do you mean hull damage?  

See this thread to see pics.  

Opinions on what is causing wear. Under trailers and tow rigs.  

My trailer bunks where staples left in top of bunks and bolts not countersunk enough or trailer just plain overloaded are eating away at gelcoat and or fiberglass at this point. 

1 minute ago, spikew919 said:

My trailer bunks where staples left in top of bunks and bolts not countersunk enough or trailer just plain overloaded are eating away at gelcoat and or fiberglass at this point. 

What still not fixed and you are damaging your hull every time you go out?

7 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

what thread?

3 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

what thread?

8 minutes ago, billjames said:

What still not fixed and you are damaging your hull every time you go out?

Every time. Malibu is aware. Had been seen nice beginning. I mean I thought ok delivery in mid April and have been in constant contact with them since late May. So they are aware 

I haven't visited this thread in awhile.  My 22VLX is my 4th boat and my second V-drive.  I am very familiar with porpoising as my I/O's did it if the trim was too high.  My MasterCraft X2 would do it constantly above 23-25mph but was easy to stop by dropping the attitude plate to about 20-25%.  

I now have almost 40 hours on my 22VLX wake hull and I can't say that it has porpoised once. I have had as many as 10 adults in it and as few at 2. I have taken long cruises in rough and smooth water(Table Rock from Ants creek to Port of Kimberling) from 20-30mph without issue.  I do have a little lead in the bow(175lbs) but there was no lead for the first 20hrs.  The last trip to TRL my brother and I(plus others) were trying to get the dinner quickly so we could get back before if got dark.  I was at a fast cruise at 28ish mph that the boat handled perfectly, he couldn't keep up with me in his 2016 Four Winns 210(21') because it was "too rough".  He made a comment about boats like mine are supposed to ride like *ish in rough water.  

Certainly no fan boy here either, every single boat I have owned has been a different brand.. Crownline, Chaparral, MasterCraft and now Malibu.

UPDATE.............I was given a 2017 27 LSV loaner while my MXZ is a the factory for the hull repair.  Now I know its a different hull or at least a different shape then the MXZ but at 37 MPH that thing rode like a dream, even in a light chop.  Also, the MXZ we demoed before I bought mine would drive completely straight while surfing, meaning you dont have to hold the wheel hard against the surf but my MXZ would do doughnuts if you dont hold the wheel.  I am not sure if you guys experience any of this but the LSV we are using as a demo also drives straight with no help while surfing.  I just wondering if that is an issue to worry about as you get extremely fatigued while driving. hmmm.......

6 hours ago, bottlefedsi said:

UPDATE.............I was given a 2017 27 LSV loaner while my MXZ is a the factory for the hull repair.  Now I know its a different hull or at least a different shape then the MXZ but at 37 MPH that thing rode like a dream, even in a light chop.  Also, the MXZ we demoed before I bought mine would drive completely straight while surfing, meaning you dont have to hold the wheel hard against the surf but my MXZ would do doughnuts if you dont hold the wheel.  I am not sure if you guys experience any of this but the LSV we are using as a demo also drives straight with no help while surfing.  I just wondering if that is an issue to worry about as you get extremely fatigued while driving. hmmm.......

I've had 4 surfgated boats and all required holding the wheel.  Perhaps the demo boat had the hydraulic steer assist option.  I've never driven (or even seen one).  In fact I've never met anyone who would suggest a torqued wheel with surfgate is too much to accept.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

I've had 4 surfgated boats and all required holding the wheel.  Perhaps the demo boat had the hydraulic steer assist option.  I've never driven (or even seen one).

AHH..... I was unware that was an option.  I will have to ask.

2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I've had 4 surfgated boats and all required holding the wheel.  Perhaps the demo boat had the hydraulic steer assist option.  I've never driven (or even seen one).

^This, as well as in my experience it'll differ on how much weight is in the boat while surfing. Stock MLS + PW2 + 3 cabin passengers? Responsive steering, limited strain on steering wheel. Stock MLS + PW2 + #550 Plug n' Play in each locker + Bow Sack + 5 cabin passengers? Different animal. This was always a moot point for me for the product you received (BIG WAVE) and an expectation I made from the get go with customers.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bottlefedsi said:

Did your dealer or Malibu give you a loaner?  That is pretty cool either way...there is something to say about that.  Nice of them to keep you on the water:)

• Like 2