Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on what is causing wear

spikew919

They are making this a bigger fix than it really is...any gel coat repair shop can lift your boat up a few inches and easily repair it on the trailer.  They did it on my 2013 when I crossed it up on the trailer and took a chunk out of my center hull which the damage was directly under a bunk.

Personally I would not run a boat with fiberglass exposed under water.  I am guessing long term that is only going to make the damage worse with water getting into fiberglass under the gelcoat.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Fman said:

They are making this a bigger fix than it really is...any gel coat repair shop can lift your boat up a few inches and easily repair it on the trailer.  They did it on my 2013 when I crossed it up on the trailer and took a chunk out of my center hull which the damage was directly under a bunk.

Personally I would not run a boat with fiberglass exposed under water.  I am guessing long term that is only going to make the damage worse with water getting into fiberglass under the gelcoat.

I am playing email tag with them, I miss the days where you picked up the phone and called and they called back and you talked out and then did what you say your Gona do. But I guess email is good, because then they can't say they didn't say that. Hate the waiting game ??‍♂️  Biggest issue I have is, I want it fixed right the first time. Not replace bunks and repair gel coat, and then have it do it again. And then reaplace bunks and gel coat and repeat,....

Pull those 2 nuts off there and see if you can see the shoulder of the bolt.  If so add a couple washers and see if you can get that bracket tight to the board.  No matter how much that board is flexing it should be able to pull off the bracket in the course of a couple inches unless the bolt isn't tight.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Pull those 2 nuts off there and see if you can see the shoulder of the bolt.  If so add a couple washers and see if you can get that bracket tight to the board.  No matter how much that board is flexing it should be able to pull off the bracket in the course of a couple inches unless the bolt isn't tight.

No shoulder, threads all the way back into 2x6. And I tightened them to the verge of hearing wood splinter.  

Heel of those two bent brackets are literally wearing into board. 

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Just emailed them a suggestion of putting 3"X1/4" angle or channel iron properly blasted and painted, bolted to top of braces to bunks then placing bunks onto the angle iron and then you could even slot the holes in that to adjust bunks side to side. Of course you would have to slot the a countersunk hole to go over bolt head in bottom of bunk at bolt where angle attaches to trailer also. Then trailer should be good. All would have to fix then is gel coat.  What you guys think?

15 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I'm not sure you can tell from pic, the bolt is right at heel of brace, slot is 2" long and brace is 2.5". Heel where bolt is, the heel has worn into bunk board, the heel is against board but end of foot is not. And no way can a 3/8ths bolt can bend that 2.5"X3/16"metal back to the board when tightening at the heel. Just don't have the mechanical advantage there. If bolt was as end of slot yes it could but not like it is.  And also is a stainless bolt and nut. When you over tighten stainless on stainless, it gaulds. And that's never fun. 

@oldjeep had boat off trailer today at river. With boat off trailer braces aren't bowed and bolt brace is then flush against bunk underneath like should be.  Craziest thing I have ever seen. Well except that whoever is putting carpet on bunks decided to staple bunks on top also. And they are damaging hull. 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:18 AM, spikew919 said:

I'm not sure you can tell from pic, the bolt is right at heel of brace, slot is 2" long and brace is 2.5". Heel where bolt is, the heel has worn into bunk board, the heel is against board but end of foot is not. And no way can a 3/8ths bolt can bend that 2.5"X3/16"metal back to the board when tightening at the heel. Just don't have the mechanical advantage there. If bolt was as end of slot yes it could but not like it is.  And also is a stainless bolt and nut. When you over tighten stainless on stainless, it gaulds. And that's never fun. 

13 hours ago, spikew919 said:

@oldjeep had boat off trailer today at river. With boat off trailer braces aren't bowed and bolt brace is then flush against bunk underneath like should be.  Craziest thing I have ever seen. Well except that whoever is putting carpet on bunks decided to staple bunks on top also. And they are damaging hull. 

Wow, that trailer is flexing like crazy.  Either a poor design or everything not aligned when put together.

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

Wow, that trailer is flexing like crazy.  Either a poor design or everything not aligned when put together.

Definitely underbuilt and or not aligned correctly. Could be easily fixed if they would take advice. But I'm no engineer but deal with engineers all the time, and have yet to ever hear one say he or she was wrong. ??‍♂️ lol I guess that's why they don't put steering wheels on trains, so the engineer will never make a wrong turn. ???? 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, spikew919 said:

Definitely underbuilt and or not aligned correctly. Could be easily fixed if they would take advice. But I'm no engineer but deal with engineers all the time, and have yet to ever hear one say he or she was wrong. ??‍♂️ lol I guess that's why they don't put steering wheels on trains, so the engineer will never make a wrong turn. ???? 

That's a bit contracting isn't it?

ahopkins22LSV
17 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

You mean contradicting?  Which part? 

Yes lol. And when you say they could fix it but engineers never listen but on their side they have some guy calling them telling them how to do their job. I'm not defending either side just pointing that out. 

I'm not gonna lie it is disappointing to see these issues you are having.  Sounds like Malibu did a poor job of the trailer specs for the M235.  I would assume others with M's are experiencing the same thing?   Or was your trailer a lemon build?

On a positive note my lsv trailer to this point has been great, no wearing on bunks or loading problems.   Tows very good as well.  It also weighs 1500 lbs less than the M.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yes lol. And when you say they could fix it but engineers never listen but on their side they have some guy calling them telling them how to do their job. I'm not defending either side just pointing that out. 

7 minutes ago, Fman said:

I'm not gonna lie it is disappointing to see these issues you are having.  Sounds like Malibu did a poor job of the trailer specs for the M235.  I would assume others with M's are experiencing the same thing?   Or was your trailer a lemon build?

On a positive note my lsv trailer to this point has been great, no wearing on bunks or loading problems.   Tows very good as well.  It also weighs 1500 lbs less than the M.

Lol, I just offered a feasible suggestion of how to fix it easily. But I do see your point. 

And as for other guys with M's, the others I have talked to, keep theirs at lake, and only trailer once in a while. Mine stays on trailer, maybe I should put over head lift in my new shop I'm about to build and just keep it hanging in shop all the time. Lol 

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Lol, I just offered a feasible suggestion of how to fix it easily. But I do see your point. 

And as for other guys with M's, the others I have talked to, keep theirs at lake, and only trailer once in a while. Mine stays on trailer, maybe I should put over head lift in my new shop I'm about to build and just keep it hanging in shop all the time. Lol 

Would make waxing a lot easier!

Well 3 weeks down and going into 4th. Malibu can build the M235 with a trailer in 11days, but can't figure out how to repair a trailer in 3 weeks. Guess they don't mind that every time I haul does more damage to boat hull.  Wreckon what would get their attention? 

Well a month down, and they say their engineer and quality guy is working on it, and that new bunks should fix it, but don't know why bunks wore so fast. I of course ask about hull, oh yeah we are working on a fix for that too.  ??‍♂️ All I can say was at least the finally replied back with something. Don't think they really expected the FLOOD of pics they got to show whoever that quality guy they brought up is. ??

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading this post & comments.

I have noticed on all new & old Boatmate trailers viewed down under when you sight along the side rails you will see they ain't straight.

they appear to bow over the axles, but, this is also evident when the boat is off the trailer.

this is due to the welding of the axle mounts to the underside of these side rails. Only place they can be welded.

when you have such a long weld both inside & outside, front & rear axle mount, the amount of shrinkage from the weld causes the rail to appear bowed over the axle.

heating stripes from the top down after the weld will shrink the side rails back straight. No mass produced manufacturer would put the time into this.

Now, if they design the bunk mounts  with CAD or old fashioned measuring based on a straight trailer, then build the trailer you will have a high spot over the axle group.

Go ahead, have a look at your side rails from the rear up behind the fenders towards the front at the amount of shrinkage or bow. You will have close to half an inch hump in the middle. I am betting the Malibu manufactured trailers will be similar to Boatmate.

Just an observation from down under, I am sure gravity has the same force down here ?