Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 New Models/Updates

ahopkins22LSV

52 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

What's the point of poor mouthing a brand that most of us own on a forum dedicated to enthusiasts of that brand?

I feel like you are tossing docphil a softball on that one... didn't his whining about spray directly result in a sticker kit for the mxz surfgates?

Seems like there's been more than one time that consensus about a malibu weak spot / problem area resulted in improvements on a subsequent model.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, IXFE said:

He speaks truth ^^^

One time he snuck up behind me in that low rider dually of his and blew the locomotive horn... loud af and literally scared the poop out of me.

totay d!ck move...

:ford:

Literally?

1 hour ago, Raffit78 said:

ya those all seem like easy fixes. My buddy bought a G25 last season and his first trip, 1 hour into their day, his impeller crapped out.   These types of issues anyone can deal with. It's the larger ones that scare me.  When your dash goes out, Engine problems.     :)

Looking forward to purchasing an 18 this year and our family is stoked. Although I feel like I'm leaving the brand I' have grown up on (Tige).  I think this is a good move because our family is growing and the z3 will not accommodate our group. Also, I do love how the BU has all of the helm moved forward creating more room towards the back. This was our selling point. With newborns and infants that come out with us frequently, we need all the room we can get without dropping another 20k for a 25lsv. 

As you are probably catching on I have owned multiple Malibu's over past few years.  2011,13,15,17....somewhat of a pattern there :)  I have nothing to hide and honestly I could go buy whatever brand boat I wanted to.  As I have mentioned on this forum multiple times Malibu is not a perfect flawless boat.  However, I have had relatively very few problems with all of them and each boat I have put around 200+ hours on each boat. Any warranty items I wanted fixed were handled immediatley with no questions asked.

Malibu does multiple disciplines very well and gives you a lot of boat for your hard earned dollar....I don't think you will have any regrets purchasing a Malibu.

And sorry to derail this thread...lets move on to the new 2018 cool stuff coming out.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 3
On 7/4/2017 at 4:05 PM, IXFE said:

Are you able to ski behind well the 22 VLX?

The ironic comment was in reference to your last boat purchase. The 22 VLX is exactly the result of the trend you're not liking (i.e. make 'em taller). Curious why you didn't get a '14 21 VLX if crossover is a priority and you don't like the deeper freeboard of the newer models. 

Come on guys pick up your game. 

Obviously it has been proven you can ski anything.  

Have people not seen our chicken wings and crossover thread. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

• Like 3
On 7/3/2017 at 5:10 PM, IXFE said:

You can surf NOW with only sub floor ballast, but why??

As long as the boat will benefit from more, people will add more. 

The only reason the G23 gets such props for being able to surf without PnP is because that particular boat doesn't like a lot of weight in the rear. If it did people would be filling up the sacks

Hmm, LOL, They do, or I know some that do ;) and PNP is not an option on a G,,, saw a comment where some G owners stated "just by the Ronix bags and use throw over pumps to fill..... I found humor in it, hope you do to

1 hour ago, kerpluxal said:

Hmm, LOL, They do, or I know some that do ;) and PNP is not an option on a G,,, saw a comment where some G owners stated "just by the Ronix bags and use throw over pumps to fill..... I found humor in it, hope you do to

Or simply plumb them inline with the factory vent...... 

IXFE is right though...... Gs don't like to only have rear weight added, and I don't think most G owners want to be required to run with a dump truck in the bow, just to compensate for big rear bags.... (like a Malibu) :whistle:

this thread has already been derailed, so I figured I'd add a jab. :)

The sooner we all accept that Nautique makes the best boats and the rest of us are second class citizens, the sooner we can all go on living our lives...

So now that that's settled, what's new for 18?  Any changes to the TXi?  Did they bring the Response LX back?  '04 Sunsetter LXi?

• Like 3

Also, I'm on the record many times that I wouldn't purchase another Malibu so long as they are offered with that Ford Raptor engine.  Seems to me they like my "advice." 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Cory said:

Also, I'm on the record many times that I wouldn't purchase another Malibu so long as they are offered with that Ford Raptor engine.  Seems to me they like my "advice." 

They definitely watch the forums.  Always have.  Long time ago (before this site) I posted how I thought it'd be a great idea to make the tracking fins on the V-drives bigger to make the VDs handle more like DDs.  Was a fairly lengthy discussion on it.  Bit over a year later, the Gorillas were born.  We've seen this lots over the years.

Sadly, the '04 Sunsetter LXi has still not come back though.  lol

1 hour ago, Cory said:

What's your beef with that motor?   I haven't heard many negative reviews and it seems like they wiped out the wakeboat industry from GM.  

37 minutes ago, NWBU said:

If someone's watching, I'd really like to see a feature to adjust how far surfgate extends out on the surf left/regular side setting. Could be a factory adjustment or user adjustment, but Malibu definitely needs something to work on getting the regular side wave to be closer to the goofy side shape. After playing around with my boat and a mission delta surf shaper this week and helping a buddy dial in his 2017 23LSV, I now think @The Hulk was onto something when he was posting about this last fall.

Adding the surf shaper onto my 2008 and playing with varying degrees of list to see if I could get a better regular side wave than what I'm used to really showed me what impact delaying too much convergence does to a wave. Too much of a delay in convergence makes the wave completely rolled over backwards, like a poorly ballasted surfgate wave at best.

The wedge helps shape the regular wave as much as it can by changing the hull angle but the surfgate is extending too far and delaying too much convergence to allow that wave to stand up and curl as well as it could. Maybe we'll see the surfgate adjustment on 2019s?

That or asymmetric surfgates.  In theory, there's no reason they need to be the same size.

55 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Malibu Engineers definitely watch these forums, and they definitely spend a lot of time laughing as a result.

Engineers don't laugh, its not an efficient use of lungs. :lol:

The idea of having surfgate's more adjustable is definitely a good one. A buddy of mine is very very into the engineering idea of how these things works and he always goes on about how stupid it is that they aren't adjustable. On his old DD he built a surfgate and made it adjustable and more of a design to compensate for the regular wave. 

The adjustable surfgate idea is a bad idea. First of all, plenty of DIY surfgate people have played with different angles, and it doesn't do much. Also, too many adjustments is not good for dialing in the wake. Nautiques have a bunch of different adjustments, and I've seen some REALLY bad waves as a result of too much tinkering.

If you want to change the wake, change the ballast, speed or wedge. That's more than enough adjustment. Or just stop complaining because wakesurfing is lame anyway :lol: jk. but seriously, your wave is probably good. Don't overthink it.

Edited by boardjnky4

The adjustability of surfgate would only be good for someone who actually knows how to set it up properly and use it. The people who want a idiot proof wave will favour from the current system. 

Look at Tige's taps 3 system for example, there are some amazing waves coming out of them and also some crappy ones too.

ahopkins22LSV

The regular wave is much improved on the new mxz hulls and m235. I suspect the new 23lsv, t22 and a24 will follow that trend. I suspect there is still a 4th boat going to be released yet. Have you guys above surfed any of the new hulls?

@UWSkier no changes to the TXi that I know so they are minor if any. They just released a brand new boat what more do you want? :lol:

@Cory I hear ya on the engines. You should get your wish in the upcoming years. Luckily the Response has stuck with GM! :) 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi