Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GM 5.3 v 6.1L - Experience?

Soon2BV

11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

A test drive where you had to sign something?  Here they just toss you the keys

No one just tosses you the keys here.  They get a photo of your drivers license, a copy of your insurance, and you sign a waiver.  No getting around it.

The vehicles I buy for my wife, they send someone with you. The vehicles I buy myself are usually around back with the keys in them...

• Like 2
On 5/14/2017 at 8:02 AM, oldjeep said:

A test drive where you had to sign something?  Here they just toss you the keys

Same here! Never have I had to sign anything or show anything when  test driving a vehicle.

Shoot we buy vehicles at work often (I know, slightly different) where I just show up at the dealer, the fleet manager meets me at the car and hands over the keys, and I drive away...they email over the paperwork a few days later. It's the only way to buy a car! :)

My '16 5.3L is strong, but it's programmed for mileage.  It's not like my Titan which I had programmed.  That thing would take off like a rocket at 1/4 throttle.  5.3L with 8 speed requires a bit of pedal travel to tell it you mean business.  Goes pretty well once convinced though.  8 speed keeps it right in the torque band nicely.  I do have the occasional clunkiness at low speeds, mostly crawling parking lots and such.  Notice it'll also spool if I start the truck and put it right into gear.  Tends to sit and spin a little before the clutches all lock up.

I didn't get the 6.2L because of the premium requirement.

10k miles on it.  Average speed is 48 MPH.  Average MPG is 18.7.

On 5/14/2017 at 10:36 PM, RyanB said:

No one just tosses you the keys here.  They get a photo of your drivers license, a copy of your insurance, and you sign a waiver.  No getting around it.

Yep. I basically had to sign stating that the truck was not a gift to me, i had to bring it back, and if i didn't within the number of days agreed i owed them for someone coming to get it. 

Regarding a purchase, still up in the air.  I drove a nice 6.2 with the tow package, but it has the big mirrors and they are right in the line of vision left and right for my wife - so not a good safety choice.  We can swap them out but its $500 for the parts.  

22 hours ago, Soon2BV said:

Yep. I basically had to sign stating that the truck was not a gift to me, i had to bring it back, and if i didn't within the number of days agreed i owed them for someone coming to get it. 

Regarding a purchase, still up in the air.  I drove a nice 6.2 with the tow package, but it has the big mirrors and they are right in the line of vision left and right for my wife - so not a good safety choice.  We can swap them out but its $500 for the parts.  

I've got a set of the standard size fully loaded mirrors I swapped off my 2015 Sierra Denali when it had less than 200 miles... I'd trade them to you in a heartbeat for another set of tow mirrors.

I have a 2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L, I love the truck.  I run regular fuel all the time except in the summer when its hot and I'm planning to tow the boat or anything else fairly heavy then I fill up with premium.  If the truck does start to detonate or "ping" the knock sensor should detect it and retard the timing resulting in less performance, that why its labeled as Premium Recommended and not Premium Required... At my altitude with my driving habits I've never noticed any detonation or real differences in performance when I switch fuels. 

My 24 MXZ, loaded up with gear and full of fuel on its triple axle trailer weights close to 8000.  The 6.2L pulls it great.  We test drove some Yukons I brought home from work for my wife, and I tested them out towing the boat, the 5.3L with Max Tow package was OK, but coming from my 6.2 truck it felt really sluggish.  Below is a post I put up on another thread...

We're also preparing to replace my wife's Acadia as her lease is about to end.  We want to get something a little bigger and with the capability to tow the boat and our snowmobile trailer so were not always required to take my truck when we go up north or need to tow.   Luckily I work for GM and occasionally have the opportunity to bring home vehicles.  So i did a little testing with the Yukon/XL/Tahoe/Suburban.   Everything but the Denali has the 5.3 V8 and 6-spd trans and there is the option to get the 3.08 or 3.42 gears (3.42 only comes with Max Towing or Z71 packages)   My boat/trailer are pretty heavy but I would strongly recommend getting the 3.42 gears.   I tested both options and the 3.08 gear-set with the 5.3 engine struggled pulling my 24MXZ.  My truck is a Sierra Denali with the 6.2L, 8-spd, and 3.23 gears (Same as Denali FS SUVs) and it pulls the boat Awesome, the 5.3L 6-spd Yukon with 3.42 gears pulled it just OK IMHO...  

• 2 weeks later...

I am probably buying a Sierra 1500 Crew with the 6.2L.  Drive the 6.2 and the 5.3, and even with no trailer i can tell such a difference.  The 2017 Crew also has the option of a standard bed (6-1/2') in the crew cab (was only the short option - 5') and i found one i really like with the 6.2 and the longer bed.  maybe pictures soon .... 

6.2, 8 speed, 3.42 axle

Edited by Soon2BV
1 hour ago, Soon2BV said:

I am probably buying a Sierra 1500 Crew with the 6.2L.  Drive the 6.2 and the 5.3, and even with no trailer i can tell such a difference.  The 2017 Crew also has the option of a standard bed (6-1/2') in the crew cab (was only the short option - 5') and i found one i really like with the 6.2 and the longer bed.  maybe pictures soon .... 

6.2, 8 speed, 3.42 axle

For some reason I'm unable to PM you.  Anyways, check out Laura GMC before you buy.  Tend to have pretty nice markdowns.  Looks like the Denalis are on sale.  http://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_Denali-Collinsville-IL/2885461943

or one with standard 6.5' box

http://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Standard_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_Denali-Collinsville-IL/2995399903

Edited by UWSkier
ahopkins22LSV

I do miss my 6.5' bed but not as much as I thought. The additional cab space is worth it. I really didn't even look for a 6.5' crew cab because I'm not sure I could fit that, our boat and my wife's jeep at my house. 

6 hours ago, UWSkier said:

For some reason I'm unable to PM you.  Anyways, check out Laura GMC before you buy.  Tend to have pretty nice markdowns.  Looks like the Denalis are on sale.  http://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_Denali-Collinsville-IL/2885461943

or one with standard 6.5' box

http://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Standard_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_Denali-Collinsville-IL/2995399903

I get the GM Employee pricing, so the price is basically set.  My current truck actually came from Laura - my local dealer did a trade because the 6.2 was very difficult to find when i got this one. 

3 hours ago, Soon2BV said:

I get the GM Employee pricing, so the price is basically set.  My current truck actually came from Laura - my local dealer did a trade because the 6.2 was very difficult to find when i got this one. 

Still worth a look.  When I bought, there were discounts that took us below employee pricing.  Not sure if that's the case with current incentives.

Looking forward to pics!  :)