Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Me Boat = Project Time.

BenUrbanski

Ok so what brand/size of Ballast.  Are they basically all the same, or does everyone prefer certain brand/pump over another.   Any recommendations of what to start with/add later.  THinking of ordering dual 500lbs, or dual 750lbs, and a 370 for ski locker.  Think I need more ballast up front?  Any

OK so I ordered PP on Thursday at 11:20.  At 11:55 I received email with tracking number and Fedex delivered Friday afternoon.  Pretty impressed with the customer service so far, they packaged and send out in 35mins, and delivered overnight.   So time to install tonight, should I install in right Speedo gauge, in middle and move tach over to one side?  Anybody want to have an opinion?  Was thinking would look best installed in the middle, but in right gauge would be the best for using. 

newboat7(perfectpassbox).jpg

• Like 1
formulaben
On 5/9/2017 at 7:29 AM, BenUrbanski said:

So time to install tonight, should I install in right Speedo gauge, in middle and move tach over to one side?  Anybody want to have an opinion?  Was thinking would look best installed in the middle, but in right gauge would be the best for using.

I went with right side for ease of use.

• Like 2

@BenUrbanski:  before you commit, sit at the helm and do the ergonomics test by pushing the buttons.  You will discover, mounting to right is easiest for access, as noted above.  That is also the standardized location for speed control.

• Like 1

Ok so I finally got some time to install perfect pass, pulled dash out and this wire is loose, assuming it goes to empty male prong on right of EMS. Wire is orange/black. Just wanted to make sure there was no reason it was disconnected

IMG_4679.jpg

Random guess, it connects to an alarm buzzer that was annoying to previous owner.  Check around under dash area for a buzzer and see if orange/black wire feeds it.  My Echy has an alarm that goes off after a few seconds if ignition is left in on position w/o engine running. 

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2

Finished PP install(took about 2 hours, still have to clean up wires), now before I put dash back together was going to change bulbs to led as 2 are burnt out anyways. Anybody changed them to blue or something vs white. And how does everyone route GPS pick wire onto dash? Drill hole, through speaker or antenna opening? And who unplugs there auto blower?

IMG_4691.jpg

formulaben
13 hours ago, BenUrbanski said:

Ok so I finally got some time to install perfect pass, pulled dash out and this wire is loose, assuming it goes to empty male prong on right of EMS. Wire is orange/black. Just wanted to make sure there was no reason it was disconnected

No way to be positive, but my generic Malibu wiring code cheat sheet says it's a bilge pump switch from circuit breaker. 

Malibu Boats Wire Harness Color Codes

• Black Ground
  •  Gray Tachometer
  •  Brown Water Temp.
  •  Tan/Blue Engine warning buzzer
  •  Purple Ignition power from Lanyard Switch
  •  Purple/White Ignition Switch Accessory Power
  •  Purple/Black Ignition Power from Key to Lanyard
  •  Red 10 Ga or 6 Ga Battery +12 Volts to breaker buss
  •  Red 16 Ga MMDC from Docking Light CB
  •  Yellow/Red Starter Solenoid from key
  •  Light Blue Oil Pressure
  •  Dark Blue Lights
  •  Orange /Black ECM Data Link from engine
  •  Pink Fuel Sending unit/Gauge
  •  Yellow Blower
  •  Brown/Red Auto bilge-power from breaker
  •  Orange/Black Bilge pump switch; DC from C/B
  •  Orange/Yellow Blower switch; DC from C/B
  •  Orange/Green Heater power from C/B
  •  White/Purple Stereo Memory-power from C/B
  •  Orange/Gray Light switches- power from C/B
  •  Orange/White Horn switch-power from C/B
  •  Orange/Purple MLS midship-power from C/B
  •  Orange/Blue MLS Rear Port-power from C/B
  •  Orange MLS Rear Starboard from C/B
  •  Orange ACC plug-Power from C/B
  •  White/Orange Horn-power from switch
  •  Blue/White Interior lights-power from switch
  •  Green/White Seat Heater-power from C/B

@formulaben:  Do you happen to have that cheat sheet in pdf / excel / word format?  Would you be willing to share?

@BenUrbanski:  you can run a auto bilge pump test by simply opening up the bilge pump and lifting up the float (simulating water in the bilge) to verify it turns on automatically.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:13 AM, BenUrbanski said:

New to site as I just picked up my first boat.  Got this new to me, 1997 SSLX two weeks ago in Minnesota for a decent buy I think.  Boat has 700 hours on it but has been very well maintained/cared for.  Boat is all original interior, gel coat still shines, and trailer has brand new bearings and rims/tires.  This boat is going to be a family/friends boat and will be pulling beginners through to advanced in all sports (Hopefully).  So here is a list of things that need to be done, and a list of things that I am interested in doing.  Will be looking for feedback/direction on lots of things I'm sure. 

Need to be Done. 

Bilge needs replacing as I did test and is partially seized

1 Speedometer doesn't work

Thinking of Doing/Tackling:

Adding Marriage Saver Speed Control (Perfect Pass or Readysteady) -  would love feedback here

Upgrading Stereo (Has Original Tape Deck) :lol:

Ballast of some sort for wakeboarding and surfing (who has a sunsetter with a good surf setup?)

Build or Buy Wake Shaper (Probably build a DIY one to start)

Add 1 more Tower Rack

Buy Boom for beginners/kids???

Add Depth Finder

Add Heater

NewBoat.jpg

NewBoat3.jpg

NewBoat4.jpg

NewBoat6.jpg

Well maintained is an understatement, it must have been garshe kept in a hot garage which helps dry the boat, must have also been covered with a fan?? That is impressive 

• Like 1