Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 23LSV - stock ballast

Monkeybutt

36 minutes ago, IXFE said:

For a guy who just spent 6 figures on a boat you sure don't sound like you did any research. 

if you had you'd have found this rather easily...

I'd expect the dealer to educate the customer. At least manage their expectations.  If I was selling them a boat I'd be clear that the waves kinda pinner unless you sack it all the way out.  

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, Shastasurf said:

I'd expect the dealer to educate the customer. At least manage their expectations.  If I was selling them a boat I'd be clear that the waves kinda pinner unless you sack it all the way out.  

Do you consider PNP to be sacked all the way out? I basically view PNP as standard ballast now. Hardly any boats leave the lot without it. I agree the dealer should have said you need PNP, but we don't know what happened. 

Just now, Shastasurf said:

I guess that depends... will you trust the kid at Best Buy to fully educate you on your next PC or TV purchase?  Or will you educate yourself?

if you were buying a $100k car would you ask for a demo first?  Or hang on every word the dealer did it didn't tell you?

I love my dealer and all... however I've always lived by these words: TRUST BUT VERIFY

• Like 2
Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

Do you consider PNP to be sacked all the way out? I basically view PNP as standard ballast now. Hardly any boats leave the lot without it. I agree the dealer should have said you need PNP, but we don't know what happened. 

We know he's bummed and had higher expectations

Just now, IXFE said:

I guess that depends... will you trust the kid at Best Buy to fully educate you on your next PC or TV purchase?  Or will you educate yourself?

if you were buying a $100k car would you ask for a demo first?  Or hang on every word the dealer did it didn't tell you?

I love my dealer and all... however I've always lived by these words: TRUST BUT VERIFY

I wouldn't trust a dealer to save my life.   So yes I would fact check em like it was an investigation.  I'm just saying if the guy knew the wave was a toe biter with stock ballast, he wouldn't be disappointed.

I just don't want monkeybutt to get too bummed out about his purchase based on his experience behind the boat with stock ballast.

Put our bags in the boat, and you can have a very fun surf experience without the hassle of visible bags or portable pumps. If you're willing to have one bag up in the front of the boat (or comfortable using lead), you can have a VERY good (one of the best available) surf experiences behind this boat.

Report back once you've got the additional weight in the boat.

If you cannot manage Steps 1 & 2 then you won't enjoy Step 3. In that case I suppose you're left with...

Step 4:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/

lol ... well I think I'll get there ... the bags are in a box outside of my office ... now I better find a few minutes sometime tonight to put them in.  I'll get there and your setup is nice - I did see that post before you linked to it but was hoping that it would be somewhat decent without ;-)

Shame on your dealer for not ordering your boat with PnP????

he did (or I did as we put it together after the test run) but the plug and play setup doesn't include the bags - only the plumbing if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1
Just now, Monkeybutt said:

... but the plug and play setup doesn't include the bags - only the plumbing if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, that is correct. Dealer can supply bags if they/you want, but the option from the factory is just for the plumbing.

now I better find a few minutes sometime tonight to put them in. 

Get em in and get out there tonight! Its supposed to rain around our area the next few days.

Say, I just got my 250# of lead wake in the other day. Next time we meet up to ride I can bring them with and you can play around with them if you want to see what they can do for the new boat.

and to calm thread/tone down a bit - no I don't regret the purchase ... and it's running fine compared to what others have experienced in the last few days ... it's not the most common situation I'm in - I took delivery directly and got the boat ready by the marina I went to before - the dealer wasn't involved beyond testing and putting in order.  They checked everything out 2 weeks ago to get it ready and so far I'm good and cool ... I obviously was spoiled with gravity fed ballast before - just can't beat the speed of that ... but the starboard was always better than port one so loaded another 500 in the locker so I could enjoy it as much as my peeps ...

and to say - there's hardly ever more than 5 people in the boat - in the future more dogs than people likely ;-) but they don't want to be in the bow ... except when we're coming home so they can fight over who's first out of the boat ...

so I guess I'll put another order in with wakemakers for the bow ballast and hard plumb that in ... no big deal - have been drilling holes into my Epic from day 1 - what's one more?!

Edited by Monkeybutt
spelling
8 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

so I guess I'll put another order in with wakemakers for the bow ballast and hard plumb that in ... no big deal - have been drilling holes into my Epic from day 1 - what's one more?!

I'd like to come and play with the dogs.... and help you out with this. Would be nice to get some hands on knowledge. 

31 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

Get em in and get out there tonight! Its supposed to rain around our area the next few days.

Say, I just got my 250# of lead wake in the other day. Next time we meet up to ride I can bring them with and you can play around with them if you want to see what they can do for the new boat.

I doubt I'm getting enough time tonight to put them in and ride - dock isn't in yet so have to tow.  I know you're itching to get out and so do I but it was cold yesterday ... thought my ears fall off but will text you when I get ready to put them in

Edited by Monkeybutt
missing answer

I doubt I'm getting enough time tonight to put them in and ride - dock isn't in yet so have to tow.  I know you're itching to get out and so do I but it was cold yesterday ... thought my ears fall off but will text you when I get ready to put them in

What was your lake temp? Big lake was 50 two weekends ago. Pretty chilly. I'll have our boat back from the shop in about 10 days. Will probably get wet the next 60degree day after that.

ahopkins22LSV
45 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

Where do you boat? Chances are there is a crew member near by that would be willing to help dial the wave in too

4 hours ago, Monkeybutt said:

That's the TMC way, 

Drill Baby Drill...

Edited by Stevo
I
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, Monkeybutt said:

we were going with the factory default setup of 10.6mph first - but slowing down brought the nose further up.  Correct - still gotta get used to wedge position - sorry.

well that's the sad part - the pic looks good but the wave was poor.  My previous Epic had a better wave evenly listed with the gates installed and it would have been lighter than the Malibu being fully loaded.  I'm absolutely aware that displacement is everything ... but the wave was bad - there's nothing to sugarcoat.

Wow I jus traded my 14 epic on a 16 23lsv and threw some older 540# in back lockers with stock full. Wedge 2 clicks from deployed at 10.8 and was way better wave. Never had the tabs on my epic but could never get much of a pocket. Lots of push but short pocket. I'm ordering 750 for rear lockers n I'll throw a 540 in bow if i have a light crew. That's the set up in my salesmans boat and huge meaty surf wave and a massive solid wake. 

• Like 1
On 4/17/2017 at 0:43 PM, Monkeybutt said:

yesterday finally the first day to actually play with the boat and not just putting hours on it (not that I would have waited much longer anyway but felt that after 4 hours nothing broken - see other threads) let's see what else is working ... or not.

IMG_42431_zpskgjgmjha.jpg

well - seriously disappointing - skim surfboard - barely 10 feet behind the boat - 0 and I mean ZERO push.  Setup was all stock ballast full - no pnp - wedge in the lowest position to get the bow up - 2 people in the boat.  If bow wasn't up - there was no push.  Tried listing it by emptying the opposite tank but that didn't help.  Didn't empty front ballast but could try that sometime this week.  Glad I prefer to wakeboard but this was disappointing.  I have already ordered the PNP ballast from wakemakers but haven't plumbed it in yet.  So what did I do wrong if anything?  Will the PNP fix all that?

Me an A20, and yes the pnp will make much better if you go big- I run 850 tears, 950 front, 3. 150s to lower nose and create list, plus stock and full wedge. The sorry difference between goofy and regular on Malibu axis( so much diff that I went goofy after 2 weeks of owning the boat when I 1st set it up for the wife and saw it, wow) , I have a very nice regular wave, but it's push will never equal the goofy, made it very good with 4000 lbs of water fuel and wedge.  I believe to be its best I should not list as I do for goofy enhancements and leave it dirty and not clean from surfgate spray and it was better but then I tried cleaning it up with a list which that did do - but I believe I lost push when I cleaned it up.  Next time out I'm going to quit semi emptying the goofy locker and go barge again and stay flat, that's when it had the most push.  My fuel consumption had been dramatically better since I started listing. 

Edited by granddaddy55

2017 23. Wakemakers 770's full, all hard tanks full, 1000 lb bow triangle 90% full. Still going to add a coupe hundred more pounds of lead in rear lockers. 

Doesn't @ibelonginprison?? Have pretty hair?? ???

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@ConnollyCrew Speed and wedge settings?

Ahhh , yes. Speed 10.8-11, wedge 3 clicks from all the way deployed. Just left of center looking at your touch screen.I vary speed a bit based on RPM, try to keep it at 3800 max. Yes, I need a little more prop, not much just a little more.

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 2

Update from OP ... so pnp installed - no proper venting yet but using the kinetic air vents mentioned in another post which worked actually great but removed them before draining ... surf wake is day and night compared to before but was stupid enough not to purchase the divider reinforcements - bending already ... so another order from wakemakers to come ... could prolly do some channels myself from stainless steel but price may just be the same ...

rpm was around 3400 ... anticipated worse so pleasantly surprised.  Stereo has given out today - stuck in 'starting up' position ... hope I have more luck tomorrow as I also pulled out the breakaway safety cable ... seriously stupid move on my part to lift trailer off the hitch and not unhooking rest ... so I'm in for another trailer repair. ... just hope that I'm getting to launch tomorrow.

45 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

Update from OP ... so pnp installed - no proper venting yet but using the kinetic air vents mentioned in another post which worked actually great but removed them before draining ... surf wake is day and night compared to before but was stupid enough not to purchase the divider reinforcements - bending already ... so another order from wakemakers to come ... could prolly do some channels myself from stainless steel but price may just be the same ...

rpm was around 3400 ... anticipated worse so pleasantly surprised.  Stereo has given out today - stuck in 'starting up' position ... hope I have more luck tomorrow as I also pulled out the breakaway safety cable ... seriously stupid move on my part to lift trailer off the hitch and not unhooking rest ... so I'm in for another trailer repair. ... just hope that I'm getting to launch tomorrow.

So cliffnotes, you are happy now that pnp is installed?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

So cliffnotes, you are happy now that pnp is installed?

Almost - it just takes forever compared to gravity ballast ... ?

Bow rise wasn't that bad - used to that from the Epic ... compared to someone else's picture the swim platform was underwater when the bags were full - just 2 people in the boat.  Might have a drone with me today so some footage to follow

• Like 3