Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereos in boats. Anyone else not see the real need?

sunvalleylaw

Tunes can set a great vibe when someone is riding....especially when someone is killing it.  We try and be courteous to others around us but I can also recall full tilt on volume knob watching a rider throw inverts.....you just can't beat that!:)

Surfing is a little better and easier on the ears because you don't need to play the stereo near as loud when your wakeboarding.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

That concept, and captain's speakers in general, sounds to me like rock band monitors for the band.

It really doesn't have to be a "big" system to sound *amazing* for personal listening.  In a tiny boat like yours, a three channel amp (or four channel with two channels bridged to a sub) powering just a single pair of good 6.5's for el capitan, and a modest 10" sub in a small sealed box would sound amazing at conversational (and louder) levels but would by no means project meaningfully outside of the boat.  I mean literally you could do this for $500 or less (probably much, much less if you're willing to scrounge up used stuff).  

• Like 2

When they used to put the speakers up on the dash, they made for a great sound-stage.  You don't really hear the rear speakers in a Response since they fire across the boat at each other, but you get nice sound from the dash speakers if you fill in the lows with a sub.

I've been doing it on the cheap for a number of years with just a powered sub (Infinity Basslink).  That combo alone sounds surprisingly good.  If you're at the sand-bar, anchor with the bow facing outwards.  Reflection off the windscreen is almost as good as tower speakers, plus the platform makes a handy place to set your beer.

• Like 3
Just now, Stevo said:

2F8BCEB4-BB75-48EA-97EC-B1A6831C3184_zps

why wait

Who's Al??  

We should go bump that other thread.  I want to trash on Oregon some more.  (jk.  Ducks are ok when they are not in the vicinity of Huskies).  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
15 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

I see a lot of threads here about sound systems in boats.  Call me a curmudgeon (get off my lawn!!) or whatever, but I just do not see the big appeal.  Plus, given how sound carries on water, to me it is rude to blast whatever you want to hear all the way across the lake. If you need tunes, it might be nice to try to keep it to the vicinity of your own boat. Though I recognize others may really like having tunes, and they have a right to do so, imposing ones' tunes on everyone else isn't all that cool.  

For myself and tunes (I love music BTW) though I don't mind some boat tunes during breaks from skiing (and for that, I will just use my iPhone and a UEBoom2), I prefer the sounds of the boat, the sounds of the water on the boat, birds, fish jumping etc.  

Anyone else with me?  

DITTO.

I foot, so it's kinda pointless anyways. 

• Like 1

A good zone control helps inmensly as well.  It is nice to be able to listen to music while cruising and not blast 1/2 mile across the lake, same thing when towing it is nice to turn up tower, without having the cabin speakers blasting everyone inside the boat.  

Completely agree on time and place.  

• Like 2

I guess I fall into the 'old-fart' category here. Prior to joining TMC, the thought of big speakers and high dollar equipment in a boat, let alone for the guy being towed behind the boat, hadn't crossed my mind. As a rule, I've always turned the radio down when towing someone. It helps me avoid distractions and allows for easy communication with the spotter, you know, just as you turn down the radio in your car when navigating a new town. That said, I am in the process of trying to figure out how to get crisp clean audio to play within the confines of the old Sunsetter when crossing the lake or stopping to eat lunch. 

There are only a few boats on my local lake that have impressive external stereos. They generally hang out at the beach and drink excessive amounts of beer during holiday weekends. (kidding, sort of)

12 minutes ago, Tags said:

something tells me i need to increase the ridiculousness of my post titles........

3 pages in 16 hours :cry:

Right?

All for loud stereos. If its not quiet hours or a private lake, you can not tell me what to do. I am not endangering you with my boat cranking tunes as we pull someone. Will you pull up to me in your old gramps boat and tell me to turn it down while the guy riding behind my boat is having a good time riding and jammin? I'll take down my tower speakers if you buy my crew some waterproof headsets. You bet we will still be heard across the lake yelling at the rider to stop being a chicken tho...

I imagine this forum setting in caddyshack.

22 minutes ago, Tags said:

something tells me i need to increase the ridiculousness of my post titles........

3 pages in 16 hours :cry:

Oh I don't know. :) I like this thread.  It puts just a little tension into the conversation.  Enough that folks don't get defensive about their lifestyles, but still adequate to spur a lively two-way discussion.  I had no idea about band monitors until @sunvalleylaw told us about them for instance.  That's a neat thing for me to go learn about now.  I wish I had the talent to be a musician, I think I would have liked the potential to tinker.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Slurpee said:

Oh I don't know. :) I like this thread.  It puts just a little tension into the conversation.  Enough that folks don't get defensive about their lifestyles, but still adequate to spur a lively two-way discussion.  I had no idea about band monitors until @sunvalleylaw told us about them for instance.  That's a neat thing for me to go learn about now.  I wish I had the talent to be a musician, I think I would have liked the potential to tinker.

Yah, that was what I was referring to a few posts ago.  I took a risk, but I thought it would work out ok.  Things can get kinda testy once in a while in the College Football thread, but most seem to handle the back and forth fine, and with good humor.  And it is fun and lively as you say!  I learned in this thread too.

I am just a Dad garage musician, so I don't have any fancy wedges or monitors. And I don't know that I would call myself talented.  But it is fun to play live with others when you can. And it is nice that you don't have to go deaf to be a musician any more.  And yes, the tinkering can be endless. Amps, effects pedals, PA systems, mics, which guitar with which pickups, etc.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
5 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Ok, I'll piss some more people off now.  (not really meaning to do that, just shooting the s***e :) ) Same thing goes for Harley exhausts.  We live in a small mountain town and Harley riders love to come through here on the way to some pretty sweet touring roads.  The exhausts on those things do not seem like they should be legal.  I am glad you enjoy your 2000 pound vibrator.  But I really don't need to enjoy it with you. ;) 

(if I did ride motorbikes, I would be dirt biking, or on a sport bike.)

So, your THAT guy....Babies cry and you complain..

• Like 2
Just now, ConnollyCrew said:

So, your THAT guy....Babies cry and you complain..

Nah.  I don't mind crying babies.  Had three of my own.  A newborn infant's cry is actually very nice.  So new.  

8 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

consider it jealousy.........i can't buy this much thread activity :lol:

• Like 1

Trollesque?  I don't have pink hair standing straight up.    :)

But really, it seemed an interesting topic of discussion, involving the right to expression and self-entertainment as compared to the right to have some peace and quiet in a natural environment.  (And secondarily the practicality of large sound systems in a marine environment.)  Different people draw the line in different places.  I personally enjoyed the discussion, from all, no matter the point of view expressed. 

Trolls.jpg

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

What's going on in here?!?!? :lol:

my opinion on this.......

Lots of Home owners are gonna cry about boat noise, and wakes. Then fire up their leaf blower and hold it to the pin, blowing leaves into the lake and neighbors yards.

Lots of Fisherman are gonna complain about boat noise and wakes as well. They will also go out and cut all the balls on the slalom coarse because they caught a fishing line on it...... then fire up their boat at 4am and hold it to the pin, zig zagging around the lake and waking everyone up.

Lots of Tubers are gonna whine because they aren't liked by anyone at all, or they are in a bad mood already because a wake boat went by while they were having their morning coffee, before heading out, and was blasting music 50' off shore. Then they will load up a 5 person tube with the loudest screaming kids they can, and hold it to the pin, while zig zagging the entire lake and make everyone second guess any decision on being near the lake that day.

Lots of wake boat owners are gonna always get blamed for all noise complaints, wakes, traffic, attitude, etc........ but I feel that, while they might blast some tunes.........they don't whine, complain, and cry all the time. And I don't care what music is playing. There is nothing that hurts my ears more than a whining, crying, or complaining, resident/visitor that made a concious decision to live at, or visit, a PUBLIC lake!!! 

Just because it isn't your cup of tea, it doesn't mean that others can't enjoy it. We all make noise, get over it!! :)

just my opinion

edit- on thing I don't think is cool..... if you are going to blast your music on a public lake, don't blast explicit material. Keep it clean for the kids, and church folk. 

I can respect that you have your opinion. I tend to see it as a golden rule thing, by comparison.  There will always be a jerk.  But you don't have to contribute to the problem.   But, seeing as morals are not legislated, if you are going to blast whatever, be prepared to hear the "F the Police" stuff coming back at you.  Just how it goes.  BTW, I do not condone, nor listen to, such music.  But, once one opens the door . . .

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 1