Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereos in boats. Anyone else not see the real need?

sunvalleylaw

5 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Is this too loud? 

I was getting down to that!  That's it I'm ordering a tower and speakers, very soon. 

• Like 3

Been down this road before with sleds.  Now we have DNR out with decibel meters looking for aftermarket exhaust.  Never underestimate the power of do-gooders to shut you down if your noise is disturbing them.  There are disturbing the peace laws on the books in most municipalities that will start being enforced.  Just because it's a public lake doesn't mean you get to be as loud as you want.  Roads are public too and people are cited for loud exhaust and stereos all the time.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Been down this road before with sleds.  Now we have DNR out with decibel meters looking for aftermarket exhaust.  Never underestimate the power of do-gooders to shut you down if your noise is disturbing them.  There are disturbing the peace laws on the books in most municipalities that will start being enforced.  Just because it's a public lake doesn't mean you get to be as loud as you want.  Roads are public too and people are cited for loud exhaust and stereos all the time.

Our lake home owners association bought the local police a decibel meter for use in closing down the early morning open exhaust bass boat group.  I suppose they could use it to police tower speakers too but that has not yet been an issue - fortunately.

• Like 1

on my stereo Pac 3 in my Axis with 2 pairs of rev 410's it is awesomely loud at 600 ft away.  don't play it that loud very often.  we usually play the most about 60% volume.  which is still pretty loud.  I think I have a 700 amp WS pushing the Revs and 1000 amp pushing the subs and inboats.  all WS

On 4/22/2017 at 10:40 PM, darrink said:

+1  Never understood why one tuber needs glass while 10 other skiers and or wakeboarders just want to get in a couple good sets on it. There should be a tubing and jet ski section in the middle of the lake.

Never understood why one surfer/skier/wakeboarder needs music while 10 other lake-enthusiasts just want to get some peace and quiet with their family, friends and fish. There should be a music section only in the middle of the lake.

Edited by RedOwl

Here's the text on boat noise levels taken from the NH Boating Handbook (and laws). While this refers to engine/muffler noise, it's not a stretch to imagine Marine Patrol using this to enforce decibels levels from a stereo. 

Mufflers and Noise Level Limits

All vessel engines must be equipped with an effective muffling device or underwater exhaust. The noise level of any motorized vessel must not exceed these limits.

Stationary test limit: 

• 90 decibels for engines manufactured prior to January 1, 1991
  • 88 decibels for engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1991

Moving test limit as measured on the “A” scale and from a distance of 50 feet:

• 84 decibels for engines manufactured prior to January 1, 1991
  • 82 decibels for engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1991

It is illegal to own or operate a vessel that exceeds the decibel limit. A vessel may be equipped with a switchable device that will reduce the exhaust noise level in compliance with the decibel limits.

Edited by jstorerj

Bottom line for me on this is acting reasonably, and a little bit of the golden rule.  (Though the golden rule may need to be viewed through the other person's point of view at times).  If we act reasonably, and are not jerks about whatever (exhaust noise, stereo noise, hours of operation on the lake, etc. etc. etc.) then the law does not have to get involved.  If we police ourselves, there is more room for personal discretion (100 decibels is ok in the middle of the reservoir with no one around but not ok right off shore near someone's yard can be one example) where  as if the police have to enforce something, it is across the board, no exceptions, no discretion.  and it still may not solve a problem.  Now, getting people to act that way (with discretion, with consideration) is not always easy.  But I advise it.  It starts with our own actions.

The only place I would blast my HLCD is in lake havasu, where it's socially exceptable. We will usually link up another wakeboat and play music for everyone at copper canyon. I have a good playlist that is upbeat and every age group can listen too so everyone enjoys it. I have never once had anyone complain. Most people there actually want to join us. 

Then again it's havasu. 

• Like 2
On 4/19/2017 at 0:06 PM, CJAY said:

I agree public lakes bring out the best and worst in people, and you tend to have a higher percentage of inexperienced boaters.  Around here the public lakes are small to boot, feels like you're taking your life into your hands every time you go out past 10am, hence why I'm also on a private lake.   Trying to get any water sport done on a public lake past 10am is futile

Truth.  I grew up in the midwest, and lakes were big, and generally people were fairly courteous, or at least not close enough to be quite as dangerous.    For me, the only suitable lakes within reasonable distance are Carter and Horsetooth.   I wont go near Carter on a weekend at all, and HT is completely shot by 9:30 or 10, at least for skiing.  It is narrow, and deep, so it is pretty much impossible to keep the lake from becoming a chop fest.    My strategy has been EARLY, or weekdays.  Traditionally I will be in the cove by 10:30 at the latest.  Sorry for stereotyping, but the idiot quotient is also frighteningly high on weekends on either lake.    Im hopeful that with the new boat I will be able to use MORE of the day for watersports, mostly surfing.   Once I do go back to the coves, I will only have the music loud enough to entertain MY guests. 

I dont know about other places, but there also seems to be an increased sensitivity to noise around here, and people are taking it to local government as well as the courts to solve.   Drives me nuts, but there is a group here that bought their homes near the local airport, and now have decided that the skydiving business that operates there is too noisy.   They are suing to quiet the planes (primarily by shutting down the business through ridiculously restrictive regulations, or if that fails, shut down the airport altogether).  Fortunately, so far they are losing... including their first appeal, but are now taking it to the state supreme court.   The case "against" them is pretty strong... they moved in near the airport, long after it was there.    BUT... in the case of noise on the lake, I could see local residents and/or noise sensitive boaters trying to get laws on the books to quiet the stereos.   Personally, I would rather find ways to share the lake in a friendly way before things come to that, but I am not at all confident that will ever become reality.

17 hours ago, JeffC said:

Truth.  I grew up in the midwest, and lakes were big, and generally people were fairly courteous, or at least not close enough to be quite as dangerous.    For me, the only suitable lakes within reasonable distance are Carter and Horsetooth.   I wont go near Carter on a weekend at all, and HT is completely shot by 9:30 or 10, at least for skiing.  It is narrow, and deep, so it is pretty much impossible to keep the lake from becoming a chop fest.    My strategy has been EARLY, or weekdays.  Traditionally I will be in the cove by 10:30 at the latest.  Sorry for stereotyping, but the idiot quotient is also frighteningly high on weekends on either lake.    Im hopeful that with the new boat I will be able to use MORE of the day for watersports, mostly surfing.   Once I do go back to the coves, I will only have the music loud enough to entertain MY guests. 

I dont know about other places, but there also seems to be an increased sensitivity to noise around here, and people are taking it to local government as well as the courts to solve.   Drives me nuts, but there is a group here that bought their homes near the local airport, and now have decided that the skydiving business that operates there is too noisy.   They are suing to quiet the planes (primarily by shutting down the business through ridiculously restrictive regulations, or if that fails, shut down the airport altogether).  Fortunately, so far they are losing... including their first appeal, but are now taking it to the state supreme court.   The case "against" them is pretty strong... they moved in near the airport, long after it was there.    BUT... in the case of noise on the lake, I could see local residents and/or noise sensitive boaters trying to get laws on the books to quiet the stereos.   Personally, I would rather find ways to share the lake in a friendly way before things come to that, but I am not at all confident that will ever become reality.

Have you tried Glendo yet?  It's still a little early to head that way, Late June Early July are when it gets nice, but that lake is great and way better than Horse tooth and carter

I havent... but the cul de sac crowd has been talking about a trip up there for the eclipse in August.   I have heard that it is really nice, pretty sure that is on the agenda this year one way or the other.   We have also been talking about trips to big Mac, and of course Powell.     Powell is probably the place I MOST want to go to, but that takes some pretty serious planning.

1 minute ago, JeffC said:

I havent... but the cul de sac crowd has been talking about a trip up there for the eclipse in August.   I have heard that it is really nice, pretty sure that is on the agenda this year one way or the other.   We have also been talking about trips to big Mac, and of course Powell.     Powell is probably the place I MOST want to go to, but that takes some pretty serious planning.

Yeah our lake has a 35 day quarantine if we go anywhere else, so we don't get to do our trips with our boats anymore, except powell at the end of the year every year.  We used to do glendo a lot.  Due to the shape of it you usually find good water somewhere on it.  Powell is awesome and takes serious planning, we have a time share in Sept down there

On 4/23/2017 at 7:57 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

Is this too loud? 

Once I get my boat back, I'm going to do the same install!  Did you use the stock tower speaker wiring?

On 4/13/2017 at 8:46 PM, sunvalleylaw said:

I see a lot of threads here about sound systems in boats.  Call me a curmudgeon (get off my lawn!!) or whatever, but I just do not see the big appeal.  Plus, given how sound carries on water, to me it is rude to blast whatever you want to hear all the way across the lake. If you need tunes, it might be nice to try to keep it to the vicinity of your own boat. Though I recognize others may really like having tunes, and they have a right to do so, imposing ones' tunes on everyone else isn't all that cool.  

For myself and tunes (I love music BTW) though I don't mind some boat tunes during breaks from skiing (and for that, I will just use my iPhone and a UEBoom2), I prefer the sounds of the boat, the sounds of the water on the boat, birds, fish jumping etc.  

Anyone else with me?  

I get what you are saying, but you are in a very small minority.  I think it just depends on how you use the boat.  We are always moving and we like some tunes.  We keep our tunes loud enough for our boat and not the whole lake (which is just being respectful, IMO).  

Most folks around my lake see wake boats as a way to carry more beer and stereo equipment...not wake sports. I see them every weekend parked in a cove partying more than I ever see them doing anything on the water.  They really should just get a pontoon, but its much cooler to have a flashy wake boat.

• Like 2
On 4/24/2017 at 2:28 PM, kx250frider617 said:

Then again it's havasu. 

Life is different out there.. and I love it. Trying to get the GF to move out there once we get hitched

10 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Once I get my boat back, I'm going to do the same install!  Did you use the stock tower speaker wiring?

No sir, mine was not prewired. They had to be pulled.

Stereo is important to me, but not as important as the wake my boat throws.  I dropped a pretty penny on my stereo and it's plenty loud, but I have friends who constantly add to their systems every year and take out ballast for batteries and subs.  I can't compete stereo wise with them, but for some weird reason when we surf they always want to be on my boat....

• Like 3