Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Most common source of water in the blige, new boat

Lees23

Sounds like a fitting from the hard tank to your pnp bag has come loose.  I've seen that happen, which explains why the water presented itself after filing the pnp bags.  Let me ask you this, did you notice the pnp bags deflate at all after they were filled, or did you pump them out before checking.  I usually fill my stuff pretty tight and leave the hatches open to make sure the bags don't bunch up.  I remember one time, after getting everything full, I went to grab a jacket and noticed one of the bags was not as full as it had been.  I also noticed some water in the bilge.  I drained everything, unscrewed the cover over where the pnp fill hose dips down into the hull near the rear of the starboard compartment and, sure enough, the fitting leading into the hard tank had pulled loose. 

25 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

Sounds like a fitting from the hard tank to your pnp bag has come loose.  I've seen that happen, which explains why the water presented itself after filing the pnp bags.  Let me ask you this, did you notice the pnp bags deflate at all after they were filled, or did you pump them out before checking.  I usually fill my stuff pretty tight and leave the hatches open to make sure the bags don't bunch up.  I remember one time, after getting everything full, I went to grab a jacket and noticed one of the bags was not as full as it had been.  I also noticed some water in the bilge.  I drained everything, unscrewed the cover over where the pnp fill hose dips down into the hull near the rear of the starboard compartment and, sure enough, the fitting leading into the hard tank had pulled loose. 

This is very possible.  I watched them fill didn't really pay attention to them emptying.  

Sometimes the threaded connection between the hard tank and the elbow that feeds the pnp bag hose can come loose.  Just put some pvc cement on it and tighten it up.

Verify that your crossover hose fitting on your exhaust manifolds are tight.  Considering you were moving or engine was running when you took on water makes me think this.

Edited by electricjohn
On 13/04/2017 at 6:36 AM, Lees23 said:

It was pretty much right as I took off.. I was stationary while filling so if is coming from the ballast system it had 7-8 min to leak/spray while the bags were filling. 

A lot of good suggestions on checking for loose connections etc, which is most likely the issue here - and excuse me if this is "Captain Obvious" (?) - but from the scenario described that sounds like what I get sometimes (ie a fair amount of water in the bilge but nothing is leaking or loose).  What we have tracked it down to is if you slow down too fast and let the wave hit the back of the boat, water comes in the rear air vents(on my 2015 VLX it is in the middle between the rear flip up cushions).  Given the lowest part of the hull (on these boats) is actually the middle, when you then take off again the bow rise pushes all the water to the back of the boat - which could be enough to trigger the auto bilge pump.  As a side note, this (brackish river) water coming in that vent is what has caused my blower pump to go faulty as it is directly below it...  

3 minutes ago, PeteOOXXOO said:

A lot of good suggestions on checking for loose connections etc, which is most likely the issue here - and excuse me if this is "Captain Obvious" (?) - but from the scenario described that sounds like what I get sometimes (ie a fair amount of water in the bilge but nothing is leaking or loose).  What we have tracked it down to is if you slow down too fast and let the wave hit the back of the boat, water comes in the rear air vents(on my 2015 VLX it is in the middle between the rear flip up cushions).  Given the lowest part of the hull (on these boats) is actually the middle, when you then take off again the bow rise pushes all the water to the back of the boat - which could be enough to trigger the auto bilge pump.  As a side note, this (brackish river) water coming in that vent is what has caused my blower pump to go faulty as it is directly below it...  

I am pretty cautions of this from my much smaller MC.  It's a good thought but I am pretty sure it isn't the cause as I got the auto-bilge warning before I stopped with the tanks full.  

On 4/11/2017 at 9:10 PM, Lees23 said:

So I finally took my boat on the lake tonight.  I had to flip a PNP ballast that was installed the wrong way and then wanted to fill the bags to make sure everything filled okay.  As soon as they filled I decided to take a peek at the wake (with no surfer and no wedge) at surfing speeds.  As soon as I came to speed I got a "auto bilge" warning.  After 30 seconds of looking at each wake I emptied all ballasts.  We sat for a bit, I pulled the drone out for 5 min and then we took another cruise.  I got another auto bilge warning.  When I put the boat away I pulled the center access and had 5-6" of water in the bilge.  I checked all PNP fittings and all were tight and locked.  There didn't appear to be any water near them. Both plugs were tight. 

This has to be coming from tje ballast system right?? If not from PNP the where from?  Ideas of places to look?

Some times the upside down u trap with a pressure vent hole is bad the one under the dash, you can sometimes hear it leaking into the puddle your talking about, happens during fill and overflow of pnp, but 5 to six inches after bilge running auto, at least on my a20 it will be less inches, maybe deeper on your boat, sounds like it could also be a thru hull leak, try a dry run with valve handles for ballast closed (4) and check then.  If dry has to be ballast and the trap is a big suspect , you also have the rear ones (2) on back of rear seat back as well

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I would also check my bags for seam failure or defects 

Bags are dry.  I think it was just the extra weight that cause water to come in faster.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

Bags are dry.  I think it was just the extra weight that cause water to come in faster.  

Apologies, I am the dbag with tower speakers that doesn't read before I reply. ???

Glad you found it!

Edited by ConnollyCrew
Just now, ConnollyCrew said:

Apologies, I am the dbag with tower speakers that doesn't read before I reply. ???

Glad you found it!

All good!! Dbag here too!!!

11 hours ago, onwi said:

So you're saying I should actually go and read the stereo thread..... So many inside jokes are buzzing over my head.

Cliffs:

One of the posters called everyone that uses their tower speakers a Dbag. 

On 4/23/2017 at 1:33 PM, Lees23 said:

Do you use your tower speakers?  Fall in line, please. 

Just curious, if my tower speakers have lights that flash to music do I have to get in line twice?

• Like 1