Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 first day EPIC FAIL

potterm

4 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

He likes to do his stereo, his way. I don't see where you can fault him for that, especially in this context.

Hell, if I could order a vehicle with a stereo delete these days I would. I always redo everything anyways.

I'm not faulting him for doing his stereo his way.  I totally get it.  

I'm just recognizing the irony of being the first to complain about how bad Malibu stereos are (even to the point of almost wanting them to be terrible if you read his posts in that other thread) and then also be the first to defend Malibu (and basically call the complainer a troll) when someone asserts any other issue. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chattwake said:

I guess you could focus your discussions purely on the inboard towboat segment, and make more logical arguments, like how the warranties of MasterCraft, Malibu, Supra, Nautique, MB, etc. compare.  Well, you might not want to do that though because it doesn't fit your narrative (inboard sportboat manufacturers generally route drivetrain warranties directly through the engine manufacturer).  

For what it's worth, that doesn't apply for MC and Nautique. They both changed that a few years ago. Both of these companies now have fully factory backed warranty on the drivelines, AS WELL as all other components in the boat, even if they aren't manufactured by, or specifically for, their boats. 

With the drivelines of those two, I suppose it makes sense. MC has a loose association with Ilmore, and PCM is obviously now owned by CC. Obviously Malibu will have a similar situation when they start their own powertrain packages.

Where I used to get bit, was on things like stereo equipment, heater core, etc....things not manufactured by the boat company and would only have a 1 year warranty. These factory backed warranties are great for that stuff. And it should be noted that Malibu has also stepped it up big time in that regard. They are also now backing almost all of that kind of stuff. Stereo is all covered, as well as almost all optional equipment.

There has been this race to have the industry's best warranty, in the last few years. It is a great benefit to us all. Malibu might have been a little late to the punch, but they have caught up.

nonetheless, my main point, is that seperate warranties for the drivelines are a thing of the past in the towboat industry.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
Just now, shawndoggy said:

I'm not faulting him for doing his stereo his way.  I totally get it.  

I'm just recognizing the irony of being the first to complain about how bad Malibu stereos are (even to the point of almost wanting them to be terrible if you read his posts in that other thread) and then also be the first to defend Malibu (and basically call the complainer a troll) when someone asserts any other issue. 

Well, they weren't exactly the best in the past, lol.

They sound pretty good now but if he is like me he wants better!

35 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

There is some irony in the attitude when you don't trust Malibu to install a stereo tho, right?  I mean I'm pretty sure you already see the WS stereo to be a debacle in the making... so it's "Malibu is great and does most everything right and can be trusted and QAQC is good and Malibu will do right by you...." except as to the stereo?

You're right Shawn. I'm a hypocrite. And feel free to make up more quotes and attribute them to me. 

I'm lost as to who was called the troll? Was it the OP or me? I made pics of heater clamps not in place and metioned cuttings and zip ties and etc,....   but I assume malibu don't mind my taking pics and putting ona forum? I mean honestly if they did mind, would that send it out to public that way?  

Just food for thought ? 

Just now, spikew919 said:

I'm lost as to who was called the troll? Was it the OP or me? I made pics of heater clamps not in place and metioned cuttings and zip ties and etc,....   but I assume malibu don't mind my taking pics and putting ona forum? I mean honestly if they did mind, would that send it out to public that way?  

Just food for thought ? 

I sure didn't call you a troll, or anybody else for that matter. I also didn't defend Malibu. I said the entire industry sucks. I also predicted somebody would call me out for being biased... and I was right.  Just didn't expect it from a somebody I consider a friend. 

This is why I rarely post anymore here and why I hesitated to post at all in this thread. It's not worth it anymore. Some guys clearly don't want to hear what I have to say anymore. 

• Like 3

@spikew919 it just rubs some folks wrong, when they hear others having issues they can't relate too.  Or thier paycheck depends on them not agreeing with it.

Even if you have been here a while, when you start to discuss the extent of your issues, the tables turn QUICKLY.   Same story, from the same people. your using it wrong, the issues are self inflicted, etc.   It is what it is.  This group still has a wealth of good information.

@bamaboy I have the record for worst gel ever!  My 2014 had voids big enough to stick your finger in. 

Edited by DarkSide
48 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

For what it's worth, that doesn't apply for MC and Nautique. They both changed that a few years ago. Both of these companies now have fully factory backed warranty on the drivelines, AS WELL as all other components in the boat, even if they aren't manufactured by, or specifically for, their boats. 

With the drivelines of those two, I suppose it makes sense. MC has a loose association with Ilmore, and PCM is obviously now owned by CC. Obviously Malibu will have a similar situation when they start their own powertrain packages.

Where I used to get bit, was on things like stereo equipment, heater core, etc....things not manufactured by the boat company and would only have a 1 year warranty. These factory backed warranties are great for that stuff. And it should be noted that Malibu has also stepped it up big time in that regard. They are also now backing almost all of that kind of stuff. Stereo is all covered, as well as almost all optional equipment.

There has been this race to have the industry's best warranty, in the last few years. It is a great benefit to us all. Malibu might have been a little late to the punch, but they have caught up.

nonetheless, my main point, is that seperate warranties for the drivelines are a thing of the past in the towboat industry.

Looks like Chattwake needs to update his knowledge too :)

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

There is some irony in the attitude when you don't trust Malibu to install a stereo tho, right?  I mean I'm pretty sure you already see the WS stereo to be a debacle in the making... so it's "Malibu is great and does most everything right and can be trusted and QAQC is good and Malibu will do right by you...." except as to the stereo?

All jokes aside........I am pretty sure IXFE installs his own stereos because of the economics in play.....He can install a much better system for half the price of the factory stereo?  

I am sure after tearing my system apart that Malibu takes the same care and attention to detail on the stereo installs as they do the rest of the build......Everyone's factory stereos are flawless and perfectly tuned right?

• Like 2

Actually, no, I don't need to "update" my knowledge.  Most people, including me, know that CC owns PCM and MC is affiliated with Ilmore (which explains why those companies internalize the drivetrain warranty coverage).  However, other manufacturers in the inboard sportboat industry route their warranties directly through the engine manufacturers (Supra, Moomba, Malibu, Tige, MB, etc.).   This is why I said "generally"  (as opposed to"always") towboat manufacturers route warranty claims through the engine manufacturer.  

Edited by Chattwake
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@spikew919 it just rubs some folks wrong, when they hear others having issues they can't relate too.  Or thier paycheck depends on them not agreeing with it.

Even if you have been here a while, when you start to discuss the extent of your issues, the tables turn QUICKLY.   Same story, from the same people. your using it wrong, the issues are self inflicted, etc.   It is what it is.  This group still has a wealth of good information.

@bamaboy I have the record for worst gel ever!  My 2014 had voids big enough to stick your finger in. 

Unfortunately in this case the main issue that drove the OP to post was the users fault......as he hit something in the water..........other points have still been valid though.

On 4/11/2017 at 10:48 AM, jjackkrash said:
On 4/11/2017 at 8:19 AM, RedOwl said:

Dumb ?

Do dealers have a Malibu-required checklist to complete when they take delivery of a new boat from the factory? Is there some sort of '200 point checklist' they MUST go through to satisfy their obligations as a Malibu dealer, or is it up to each dealer to set their delivery and inspection routine?

3811901.jpg

49 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Unfortunately in this case the main issue that drove the OP to post was the users fault......as he hit something in the water..........other points have still been valid though.

This is why I specifically tagged spike, the issues on his new M235 are PURE  quality control.  There were actually a couple of new M235 in this thread.   

It's all good!  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I sure didn't call you a troll, or anybody else for that matter. I also didn't defend Malibu. I said the entire industry sucks. I also predicted somebody would call me out for being biased... and I was right.  Just didn't expect it from a somebody I consider a friend. 

This is why I rarely post anymore here and why I hesitated to post at all in this thread. It's not worth it anymore. Some guys clearly don't want to hear what I have to say anymore. 

Oh good grief @IXFE I hope you know I'm just busting your balls. 

1 hour ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

All jokes aside........I am pretty sure IXFE installs his own stereos because of the economics in play.....He can install a much better system for half the price of the factory stereo?  

I am sure after tearing my system apart that Malibu takes the same care and attention to detail on the stereo installs as they do the rest of the build......Everyone's factory stereos are flawless and perfectly tuned right?

Half the price if the value of the installer's time is zero.  If he billed his hourly rate, methinks he's probably upside down?  I know I am always in for 2x the hours I think it should take.  That's the real myth of the "its cheaper to do stereo delete" concept.  It's really not cheaper if you're going to pay a pro to install everything.  

As far as the tune issue -- the WS DSP setup SHOULD result in quality, replicatable (sp?) tunes across all boats without the need to have an expert tune the stereo at the end of the assembly line (something NO boat manufacturer seems to want to do).  They're even building in the capability to have that tune adjusted to accommodate re-purposing stuff (like taking that 4ch amp to a bridged 2ch).  We all seem to live with the fact that our engines come with a rigid factory tune, right? 

Flawless?  please define.  

• Like 1

Half the price if the value of the installer's time is zero.  If he billed his hourly rate, methinks he's probably upside down?  I know I am always in for 2x the hours I think it should take.  That's the real myth of the "its cheaper to do stereo delete" concept.  It's really not cheaper if you're going to pay a pro to install everything.  

with that logic im getting Ducked at home for all the non boat stuff ive done.

• Like 2
On 4/10/2017 at 6:56 PM, Murphy8166 said:

I'm shocked..... shocked that the usage of EPIC FAIL is still alive and well.  I thought we ushered that 2015 term out last year.

Lot of good info in this thread about how to handle your business...

Lol

Just now, Stevo said:

with that logic im getting Ducked at home for all the non boat stuff ive done.

Ha, well maybe when malibu does come out with the kit-boat edition and just piles a bunch of stereo equipment on the floor when you get the boat it'd be an apples-2-apples comparo?

Ha, well maybe when malibu does come out with the kit-boat edition and just piles a bunch of stereo equipment on the floor when you get the boat it'd be an apples-2-apples comparo?

do i still get to keep the screws and zip ties then? 

1 minute ago, Stevo said:

do i still get to keep the screws and zip ties then? 

of course.  I'd expect nothing less than a coffee can full of random nuts and bolts and zip tie clippings for you to pour in the bilge yourself.  And of course a sheet of "void if romoved" stickers for your amp gains.

• Like 2

of course.  I'd expect nothing less than a coffee can full of random nuts and bolts and zip tie clippings for you to pour in the bilge yourself.  And of course a sheet of "void if romoved" stickers for your amp gains.

naturally

19 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

As far as the tune issue -- the WS DSP setup SHOULD result in quality, replicatable (sp?) tunes across all boats without the need to have an expert tune the stereo at the end of the assembly line (something NO boat manufacturer seems to want to do).  They're even building in the capability to have that tune adjusted to accommodate re-purposing stuff (like taking that 4ch amp to a bridged 2ch).  We all seem to live with the fact that our engines come with a rigid factory tune, right? 

Flawless?  please define.  

flaw·less

ˈflôləs/

adjective

adjective: flawless

without any blemishes or imperfections; perfect.

"her brown flawless skin"

synonyms:perfect, unblemished, unmarked, unimpaired; More

whole, intact, sound, unbroken, undamaged, mint, pristine, picture-perfect;

impeccable, immaculate, consummate, accurate, correct, faultless, error-free, unerring;

exemplary, model, ideal, copybook;

inerrant

"a flawless performance"

antonyms:flawed

without any mistakes or shortcomings.