Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Fumes while skiing

We should be out tomorrow, so if you are up there, keep an eye out for us.

Softball Tourney on Tuesday night

Just out of curiosity, have you checked with a doc about the headaches? Skiing is considerably more strenuous than softball in a short burst of activity. If it were me, I would consult a physician to make sure it's not a more serious problem.

Where are the headaches? If it's in the rear/neck area, you could be getting a tension headache/pulled/cramping kind of muscular headache. If it's somewhere else, I have no clue... :)

Call Doc is on the To Do list for today

Headaches are immediate and they are the very top/crown area, Thanks for asking

Are you getting your ski on and ready while the blower and/or motor is running? That's probably where you're getting the most fumes from. Maybe try getting ready with the blower and motor off then get in the water and swim away from the blower hose before turning the blower on.

Good call because I can't even stand to sit there. I used to sit there all the time on our 89 Nautique, but the single exaust port sat lower in the water. I don't even recall if the port rose out of the water while skiing, but I know I can see both of them while behind the Bu

My mom suggested nose plugs in case it is simply a sensitivity to the smell of it. Wouldn't that look great. :lol:

Good call because I can't even stand to sit there. I used to sit there all the time on our 89 Nautique, but the single exaust port sat lower in the water. I don't even recall if the port rose out of the water while skiing, but I know I can see both of them while behind the Bu

My mom suggested nose plugs in case it is simply a sensitivity to the smell of it. Wouldn't that look great. :lol:

Dont let the looks of a nose plug sway you. I started wearing one until I was up out of the water because I was slamming pollen-filled water up my nose and then had congestion for 2 days. I just have it connected to my vest and pull it off as soon as I'm on top of the water.

I really dont think that what you are experiencing is from the exhaust when you are behind the boat tho.

I'll gladly give you a pull next week if you can wait. I'm heading to Boston tomorrow AM for the rest of the week and the weekend at Caesars is no fun.

With the I/O, the wakes aren't as good, but you'll know very quickly if it's CO related or skiing related.

My boat is still down due to a hole in the exhaust hose or I would give you a pull. I hope to be back on the water by Sunday if all goes well with shipping. I can't believe how hard it is to find parts in this town. You would think someone would have a few feet of exhaust hose in stock... Cry.gif

Maybe you need to invest in some turndown exhaust tips if that turns out to be the problem.

Maybe you need to invest in some turndown exhaust tips if that turns out to be the problem.

I was wondering if they cut down on the smell. Good luck in your repairs. You would think that with 6 different inboards available in town that they would have had the hose. If I don't get out behind someone's before next week, I will let you know. Thanks. Heading to the Dr. now

I'll gladly give you a pull next week if you can wait. I'm heading to Boston tomorrow AM for the rest of the week and the weekend at Caesars is no fun.

With the I/O, the wakes aren't as good, but you'll know very quickly if it's CO related or skiing related.

Thanks to you too. I will see what works out. I wonder if I can get up behind an I/O? Last time I tried I nearly drowned :) We can give you a pull too.

You'd probably be surprised - I'm not the lightest of people (~230) and don't have an issue getting up behind it on a skinny stick. If it works out, I'd really like that. Let us know.

Get a tune up(plugs/wires) and an injector service...I bet you have a miss and are not burning all your gas up.

Also, if you wakeboard and load up on the ballast, your exhaust will be lower in the water when you start out :-)

Just got back from the Doc and he gave me a couple of samples of migrane meds to take about a half hour before I ski. I am going to give that a try and then if that does't work I am going for the nose plug.

Rover--I think we may try the service idea too before going on our last big trip for the year.

Weinrdog- Next week starts school so it's going to get real tight on time quick. We have been going up late on Sunday afternoons to Caesars and it hasn't been too bad just before sunset. Mostly ski boats. Monday we have a school thing so maybe Tuesday if you're not up for Sunday. Wed is soccer, but Thurs could work too.

Let me talk to my wife about Sunday afternoon/evening. This week is the last week I can do it before mid Sept.. After that it's lake, then golf, then son's surgery, then lake.

Depending on what she says I may have to have arrange a few others in the boat for spotting.

Tue/Thu are my 'parenting' evenings with my 18mo old & a lake outing after work/school ends a bit too late for him.

Know anybody in a Fire Dept? They have portable CO detectors. They might not let you take one skiing..... but maybe let you test out around your hull at idle and in the boat while underway.

Also, has been said...... fumes from your exhaust "should" be different than any air being blown out your engine compartment by the blower..... unless you also have an inboard exhaust leak.

As for the "pleasure head-ache"..... sounds interesting. Maybe that's what my wife means when I make an offer and she says she feels a head-ache coming on. I will now give her the more thorough explanation. Hopefully will end up with a new result. I may owe you big time on this one!!!