Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas fumes during storage?

We're storing our bu in the garage and lately have noticed a gasonline smell at times. Is this normal? If not, I want to get to work on finding and fixing the problem.

I know the gas tank is vented and it could be coming from heating/cooling cycles but want to check to see if others have noticed this.

Thanks,

Mike

I've noticed small amounts of what you're talking about with every boat that I've owned & been around (okay, more than small amounts with the outboards :Wink: ). I don't even bother looking for a leak anymore as long as the smell isn't abnormally strong, it's just a common thing IMO caused by what you mentioned & the fact that the tank is vented. Usually I can't smell it unless I come around to the rear of the boat.

I wouldn't worry about it - jsut be sure to run the blower for a little while before you crank her up!

Tracie you are SO right about the outboards though - ALWAYS REEKED!!

JZ

...Tracie you are SO right about the outboards though - ALWAYS REEKED!!

You know, I grew up behind them so even now I know that's just the way it is. To this day if I get a whiff of 2 stroke fumes, I zone out a bit because the association with good times is so strong that I get pulled into memories of my youth. It doesn't matter if it's coming from a weed trimmer, the smell is close enough.

...Tracie you are SO right about the outboards though - ALWAYS REEKED!!

You know, I grew up behind them so even now I know that's just the way it is. To this day if I get a whiff of 2 stroke fumes, I zone out a bit because the association with good times is so strong that I get pulled into memories of my youth. It doesn't matter if it's coming from a weed trimmer, the smell is close enough.

I'm the exact same. In fact I sat in my friends 1966 Cheverolet truck, and the smell reminded me of the very first boat I ever went on.... It was the smell of gasoline and old vinyl... mmm. Crazy.gif

JZ

I leave all of my compartments cracked open. (I use an empty soda/beer can) I was just at the boat a couple of days ago, and there was no fuel smell anywhere.

If you leave your cover on the gas fumes are more pronounced as well. I tend to leave part of my cover cracked to allow better ventilation and avoid the fume build up.

If you leave your cover on the gas fumes are more pronounced as well. I tend to leave part of my cover cracked to allow better ventilation and avoid the fume build up.

Thanks for the tip! The boat is currently fully covered. I'll try cracking that a bit and see if it helps.