Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 2017 seriously electrical failure

Just now, shawndoggy said:

If the switch is off and the lights stay on, then the lights are somehow connected to the batteries incorrectly.  Or the nav lights are running on magic.  But I always try to eliminate human error before conceding that it's just magic.

What if its 24K Magic in the air?

• Like 3

Send me your email I will send you the photos. I don't see how to upload them here. The only option is to use a URL.  but the photos I have are in my phone. I am in Mexico.  the lake is Valle de bravo.

Does anything else stay turned on when the switch is in the "off" position? 

I say that because, typically, right off the battery switch there is a 2AWG wire that feeds into the breaker panel and distributes power to the "house" side of the boat. Someone would really have to go out of their way to connect just 1 circuit in the way it's being described. So my intuition would tell me that the "house" side is wired wrong on the switch. That would cause everything accessory to remain usable with the switch off, though.

Nothing on these boats is magic. They're quite simple circuits.

Edited by boardjnky4
Just now, boardjnky4 said:

I say that, because typically off the battery switch there is a 2AWG wire that feeds into the breaker panel and distributes power to the "accessory" side of the boat. Someone would really have to go out of their way to connect just 1 circuit in the way it's being described.

board, maybe in Axis, but in my experience the system will not boot with batteries off, in which case, no accessory control.

Just now, shawndoggy said:

Hey, I never said it's NOT magic.  Just eliminate human error first.

What if he's dressed head to toe, so player?  Wearing Cuban links, designer minks, and Englewood's finest shoes...then what?

Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

board, maybe in Axis, but in my experience the system will not boot with batteries off, in which case, no accessory control.

That's what I'm getting at. NOTHING is supposed to work with the switch off except the auto-bilge. Regardless of Axis/Malibu. BUT, the "house" circuit could be wired wrong in the switch, causing it to bypass the switch. If someone puts it on the same terminal as a positive battery connection, then it would get power always.

See, what I'm saying is, it's unlikely that JUST the lights are wired wrongly.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 3

Well is not mandatory to attendt this topic. If you don't like it don't see it. Everything has been useful I apreciate the posible solutions and you have to consider that there a very few M235 outside. I want the boat to work properly.¡¡

When somebody else has at electrical problem with at m235 for sure that we are going to know well most of the wiring diagrams. ¡¡

2 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

There is a MASSIVE difference between the manufacturing process on ANY boat vs a car, not matter the brand.

I know that it's easy to compare the costs, but it's just not the same. I've toured the BMW plant in South Carolina and I've toured the Malibu plant in Tennessee. COMPLETELY different ballgame. Not even close.

Maybe the difference is that the BMWs are built by South Carolinians and the Malibus are built by Tennesseans!

http://www.movoto.com/guide/tn/things-only-people-from-tennessee-understand/

http://www.movoto.com/guide/sc/things-people-from-south-carolina-have-to-explain/

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

If the switch is off and the lights stay on, then the lights are somehow connected to the batteries incorrectly.  Or the nav lights are running on magic.  But I always try to eliminate human error before conceding that it's just magic.

Only issue with that is that the lights are plugged into a prefabricated harness. No individual wire it in hookup.

59 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I say that because, typically, right off the battery switch there is a 2AWG wire that feeds into the breaker panel and distributes power to the "house" side of the boat. Someone would really have to go out of their way to connect just 1 circuit in the way it's being described. So my intuition would tell me that the "house" side is wired wrong on the switch. That would cause everything accessory to remain usable with the switch off, though.

Nothing on these boats is magic. They're quite simple circuits.

Yep.

54 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

That's what I'm getting at. NOTHING is supposed to work with the switch off except the auto-bilge. Regardless of Axis/Malibu. BUT, the "house" circuit could be wired wrong in the switch, causing it to bypass the switch. If someone puts it on the same terminal as a positive battery connection, then it would get power always.

See, what I'm saying is, it's unlikely that JUST the lights are wired wrongly.

Yep.

1 hour ago, system55 said:

Send me your email I will send you the photos. I don't see how to upload them here. The only option is to use a URL.  but the photos I have are in my phone. I am in Mexico.  the lake is Valle de bravo.

Im enroute to come help you troubleshoot... I mean to upload pictures cause thats about all Im good for.  And boat driving...Im good at that too.

Wilson Watersports managed to drive a seat support screw through my CAN cable during their 20yr old stoner dude summer hire hack job few years back on my 247 and gave it back to me like they had no idea anything was wrong with it.

i had wierd electrical gremlins like you are describing.  The CAN cable to the equivalent of a spinal cord for everything electrical on your boat.

a competent marine mechanic can verify your CAN is in tact and not compromised in about 15-20 mins.  Any competent marine mechanic would prolly put this towards the top of the things to check when you have wide ranging electrical problems that are unexplained.

8 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Wilson Watersports managed to drive a seat support screw through my CAN cable during their 20yr old stoner dude summer hire hack job few years back on my 247 and gave it back to me like they had no idea anything was wrong with it.

i had wierd electrical gremlins like you are describing.  The CAN cable to the equivalent of a spinal cord for everything electrical on your boat.

a competent marine mechanic can verify your CAN is in tact and not compromised in about 15-20 mins.  Any competent marine mechanic would prolly put this towards the top of the things to check when you have wide ranging electrical problems that are unexplained.

While, yes, the harness is like the spinal cord, it is only on the boat side of an isolator switch.  

Nice boats. Very strange looking F150 though, those must be 54" swampers??

I think when the OP is talking switch off, he is talking about the key switch, not the battery switch. Everything runs through the central command on these new boats, sounds like it needs a re-flash or could be in need of replacement. 

1 minute ago, Falko said:

Nice boats. Very strange looking F150 though, those must be 54" swampers??

I think when the OP is talking switch off, he is talking about the key switch, not the battery switch. Everything runs through the central command on these new boats, sounds like it needs a re-flash or could be in need of replacement. 

negative.  see page 1, about 12th post.

Just now, Falko said:

By "selector switch" does he mean the light's switch, the key switch, or the battery switch?

Given he replied directly to my query about turning off the battery switch, I think he means battery switch.  Said dash was powered down (paraphrasing).

Yeah, I saw that, I was just wondering if he actually identified between the main key and the battery switch. The OP doesn't seem to have a great grasp of the electrical layout so I figured it might not be what we thought it was. If it was the battery switch powering down and things were still on, there is a big problem.