Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

2018 23lsv isn't doing it for me. Like ixfe, I've had 6 Malibu last one 15 23lsv.   Will be demoing the new centurion 2018  ri237 and ri257 soon.  Might be headed to the darkside. Lol

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Capdoogie said:

2018 23lsv isn't doing it for me. Like ixfe, I've had 6 Malibu last one 15 23lsv.   Will be demoing the new centurion 2018  ri237 and ri257 soon.  Might be headed to the darkside. Lol

The 23LSV is the oldest hull now and since the most recent redesigns (MXZs, 25) have all made nice improvements, I'm expecting the 2018 23LSV to come through as well. Sounds like local dealer will get one at the end of July or early August, at which point I can go do some research for the crew.

So here's the venting,  being that the 23lsv is  supposedly their best seller.  And I'm on my third!  why don't we have some form of walk thru,  alla  m235 or  g23. Just bandaid rubber padding On back covers and rear seat, who wants to sit on that.  Cooler should be accessible. Not under you pax rear ends.  Why are the rear surfgates not adjustable, most other manufacturers have more adjustability.  In today's surfcraze era,  these boats or at least a few in malibus line should be surf only specific. Like their  slalom tow boats.  Meaning no need for 400 plus pound bags in front cushions to get nose down and wave longer.  Super fast dedicated pumps for each ballast area and pnp sacs.  Etc.    I'm sure I'm missing a few points but I'm feeling better now that I ranted a little. Lol

On 7/14/2017 at 3:09 PM, Capdoogie said:

Look at the Supra first.....Better boats ....edit.... Skiers has lost its mind.. new tower is ugliest thing I have ever seen... but another Malibu or Nautique

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Look at the Supra first.....Better boats 

The same guy that made the Supra really good, is the guy doing the helmets now.  Just with less restrictions, which is why they are not the same as your used to seeing.  Pre 2016 i couldn't agree more, 2018 not so much. 

@Capdoogie demo as much as you can.   Look at construction, open the bilge and look for gifts.  No one boat is right for everyone, get what fits you the best. 

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Look at the Supra first.....Better boats 

I've surfed a few Supras, not impressed. At all. "Autowake" is helpful, but I still prefer a surfgate wave.

1 hour ago, Sixer said:

I've surfed a few Supras, not impressed. At all. "Autowake" is helpful, but I still prefer a surfgate wave.

How did you have them weighted and what boat was it? I'm not saying it is RI257 good but SG and SE if properly weighted are REALLY GOOD.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, DatTexasBoy said:

How did you have them weighted and what boat was it? I'm not saying it is RI257 good but SG and SE if properly weighted are REALLY GOOD.

SE 550, and SA 550.  Both with 6-8 adults, I think 950's in the back.  Wave was good, don't get me wrong.  I just really prefer my Surfgate wave.  Not just by a little.....

On 7/14/2017 at 5:38 PM, DarkSide said:

The same guy that made the Supra really good, is the guy doing the helmets now.  Just with less restrictions, which is why they are not the same as your used to seeing.  Pre 2016 i couldn't agree more, 2018 not so much. 

@Capdoogie demo as much as you can.   Look at construction, open the bilge and look for gifts.  No one boat is right for everyone, get what fits you the best. 

I should have said, If you want to wakeboard look at the Supra. 

You can wakeboard just fine, with the new hulls.   Even beginner, it's just not as well as some.  Remember same guy as did old Malibus, and recent Supra's designed these. 

This is 17 MPH, with 1000 pounds of lead and 4 people on board.  The down side is you only get super clean on one side.  You can switch which side is clean on the fly in about 2 seconds using CATS.  You can create a good symmetrical ballasted wake at 22+

20170702_122923_zps0as4fgg7.jpg

11 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

You can wakeboard just fine, with the new hulls.   Even beginner, it's just not as well as some.  Remember same guy as did old Malibus, and recent Supra's designed these. 

This is 17 MPH, with 1000 pounds of lead and 4 people on board.  The down side is you only get super clean on one side.  You can switch which side is clean on the fly in about 2 seconds using CATS.  You can create a good symmetrical ballasted wake at 22+

20170702_122923_zps0as4fgg7.jpg

A wakeboard boat will clean up Both sides with no manual switching needed it weight is distributed. The RI is a surf boat, and a damn good one. Nothing ugly, just what it is.

• Like 1

I will not disagree that there are NUMEROUS boats that would be a much better choice for the dedicated wakeboarder, i am just pointing out that if you want to wakeboard occasionally they will do a decent job.   

For the wakeboard centric, the Supra or LSV would definitely be better!

Not to take over thread, but now that the surf craze has taken the boating world over. It's time for a surf specific boat.  Meaning it does one thing great, surf.  If you want to wakeboard or ski by a different model.  .   No xtra ballast bags needed, ls3 or LSA engine to pull the weight,  quick fill. Etc.

On 7/16/2017 at 10:18 AM, Capdoogie said:

Not to take over thread, but now that the surf craze has taken the boating world over. It's time for a surf specific boat.  Meaning it does one thing great, surf.  If you want to wakeboard or ski by a different model.  .   No xtra ballast bags needed, ls3 or LSA engine to pull the weight,  quick fill. Etc.

You mean like a Centurion?

On 2017-07-16 at 8:18 AM, Capdoogie said:

Pretty sure it's already out there. 

• Like 2

Focus people! :)  link posted to LSV and we are still talking Centurion (which means they are doing something right)

what we know so far (I think)

New hull

L shaped ballast tanks like MXZ

"Hybrid" walk through transom

MXZ style glove box 

Bow cubbies gone (more like MXZ construction for entir hull?))

Cupholders on outside of transom like 22VLX

Base 6.2L still available, so Malibu didn't deem additional weight enough to put the 450 inas standard

New colors available

• Like 3

If, and I stress IF, I was thinking of upgrading this off season and I surf almost 100% of the time what are the major reasons I would buy a 2018 23 LSV over a 2017 22 MXZ hold over (assuming I could find one I liked)?

Also, I do really like the Centurions but I really love the Malibu dealer here in Portland, AWS. I would stick with Malibu because I want to stick with them.

I thought I should add a little info:

- I spend most of my time the Columbia River which can get choppy (current 23 LSV handles it very well)

- 23' seems like just about the perfect length for me

- We typically have people with us so total in the boat is 4-6 adults and 4-5 children under 7 and we primarily sit in the cabin and not in the bow.

- I Surf regular

Edited by CharlieBeaU
add a few things
41 minutes ago, CharlieBeaU said:

If, and I stress IF, I was thinking of upgrading this off season and I surf almost 100% of the time what are the major reasons I would buy a 2018 23 LSV over a 2017 22 MXZ hold over (assuming I could find one I liked)?

Also, I do really like the Centurions but I really love the Malibu dealer here in Portland, AWS. I would stick with Malibu because I want to stick with them.

I thought I should add a little info:

- I spend most of my time the Columbia River which can get choppy (current 23 LSV handles it very well)

- 23' seems like just about the perfect length for me

- We typically have people with us so total in the boat is 4-6 adults and 4-5 children under 7 and we primarily sit in the cabin and not in the bow.

- I Surf regular

Tough choice. I was hoping the lsv redesign was going to be mxz in the back and lsv in the front. I like the walkthrough on the mxz, but not the bow (we spend most of our time in the cabin area). I get Malibu wants to be able to justify the price delta between the two. 

Just now, Pnwrider said:

Tough choice. I was hoping the lsv redesign was going to be mxz in the back and lsv in the front. I like the walkthrough on the mxz, but not the bow (we spend most of our time in the cabin area). I get Malibu wants to be able to justify the price delta between the two. 

Me too. I love the walk through. The more I look at the new LSV's sundeck and rear seat the less interested I get. Maybe we'll get the walk through on the 2022 23 LSV.

On 7/14/2017 at 7:49 PM, Sixer said:

SE 550, and SA 550.  Both with 6-8 adults, I think 950's in the back.  Wave was good, don't get me wrong.  I just really prefer my Surfgate wave.  Not just by a little.....

THIS BOAT NEEDS THE 1400 LB ENZOS......the SICKNESS

• Like 1