Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

Don't forget that they fixed the location of the showerhead, it's no longer on the gunnel where everyone puts their foot to step in to the boat. Now it's on the starboard transom next to the cup holder; the mixer valve moved a bit, but it's still in the starboard storage locker/engine hatch. The mixer should be in the storage tub under the back seat but then the tub isn't removable. (don't call the storage tubs a cooler, there isn't any insulation).

I've replaced the entire shower system that came in my '15 23 LSV. The pump was installed upside down at the factory so it was sucking air and never moved water, the mixer valve fittings aren't NPT threads (they're British BSP and Malibu used cross-threaded plastic fitting to try to make it work), the mixer connection hose inner diameter was too small for the showerhead, the showerhead didn't have enough hose to reach the swim platform...

I'm using an impeller pump (reversible, just like many of us use for ballast), a Moen mixer valve, and a "real" hand shower. It's all installed in the storage tub and works much better than the factory setup with no "extra" holes drilled in the fiberglass/gelcoat.

33 minutes ago, Cory said:

They are changing the power plant in 2019.  Why mess with the tranny and prop this year...

Uhhh....to win over a G23 owner who will be comparing the performance of the two.

JK, It's a new design with stated dry weight iof 5300 pounds! Malibu already sources the powertrain and running gear for 2 other models, so why not at least offer it as an upgrade? 

44 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I'm kinda sad to see the carpeted seat bases go. And I agree with @thtrog... this boat should have 17" prop. I absolutely love it in my 25 LSV that only weighs 300lbs more than this new 23

They are adding gator step on the side are they not? At least as an option? The gator step on side is super nice 

Had the opportunity to surf and slalomn behind the 18 LSV with a crew of 10 this afternoon on Norris.  I was surprised with how much different the push of the surf wave was in all PW2 variations vs the 2016 LSV.  Night and day different.  Very impressed.  All 7 riders were equally impressed with the surf wave.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WakeSet Cincy said:

Had the opportunity to surf and slalomn behind the 18 LSV with a crew of 10 this afternoon on Norris.  I was surprised with how much different the push of the surf wave was in all PW2 variations vs the 2016 LSV.  Night and day different.  Very impressed.  All 7 riders were equally impressed with the surf wave.

What about the ski?

On 7/28/2017 at 7:59 PM, WakeSet Cincy said:

What motor?

Here's the wake hull, skiing at 30 MPH with 3 people on the boat.  Wedge in stow, no ballast or lead.

You're not going to be blazing a course, but for open water, recreational skiing for fun, it was just fine according to the skier.

• Like 3
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:33 PM, IXFE said:

I'm kinda sad to see the carpeted seat bases go. And I agree with @thtrog... this boat should have 17" prop. I absolutely love it in my 25 LSV that only weighs 300lbs more than this new 23

exactly my take ... my old Epic had no protection - first thing which ended getting dinged up by handles, cooler etc.  At first when comparing the boats before buying the 23LSV - I was worried about water accumulation due to the dogs (they don't use towels too much) but have to admit that now after 4 months of use and now 105 hours - much better than the previous boat - no gel coat damage etc. and this includes also the top portion where the seat rests on.  Now the seadek material on the side is debatable - carpet does the same thing to protect from anything except that the carpet won't show damage but seadek will ... the way it looks now is that the seat cushion is right on the gel coat - so no protection there - coolers and other items will leave their marks quickly, sand will scratch it up ...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, martinarcher said:

After you decide how much delayed convergence you want to run to get the best wave with a particular hull why would you want less convergence (smaller, less powerful wave)?

Lots of reasons....on the G at least.  

NSS can be adjusted from 5 to 0.  5 would be minimally deployed.  0 is all the way deployed.  

I have run the NSS at about 2-3 many times for certain tricks where I want a less aggressive wave.  For example, surface tricks like a 360 or shuv it.

Maybe SG is different from NSS in this aspect?  IDK.  However, they are both horizontally deploying tabs that create delayed convergence.

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, WakeSet Cincy said:

Ski wake was not a forgivable as the 2016 hull.  Still fine for the recreational slalomn run.

Interesting.  I have 2016   23 LSV diamond hull and do like the ski wake.  Very interested in the 2018.  As a comparison I regularly ski my buddy's 2014 X30 and the ski wake is slightly larger than mine but very soft.  Just skied and surfed a 2018 XT23 (my buddy a hardcore MC guy) and the ski wake was hard as  rock.  Like hitting concrete.  BUT the surf wave had a lot more push and was impressive.  I still prefer a SG wave but you could surf just as far back as on my Bu which was alway a gen 2 shortcoming *(pun intended) in my opinion. 

51 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Lots of reasons....on the G at least.  

NSS can be adjusted from 5 to 0.  5 would be minimally deployed.  0 is all the way deployed.  

I have run the NSS at about 2-3 many times for certain tricks where I want a less aggressive wave.  For example, surface tricks like a 360 or shuv it.

Maybe SG is different from NSS in this aspect?  IDK.  However, they are both horizontally deploying tabs that create delayed convergence.

27 minutes ago, wakebrdr94 said:

I think most people forget the wedge does this for adjustability.  

The wedge on the LSV and the center tab on the G series do similar things just opposite.  More tab means more lift, i.e mellower wave, the wedge adds drag. i.e. more wedge is more aggressive.  

So i will agree with, @bamaboy @The Hulk that additional adjustment could be good, but it is not required.

• Like 3

Perhaps NSS & NCRS adjustibility changes the game for each surfer.  #gamechanger.

To help anyone looking at a 2018 23 LSV who has never been on a Malibu with surfgate & power wedge 2, moving the wedge to different positions has a large impact in how steep the wave is & how much push.  Put a 300 pounder back there & then put someone half their size, you'll see the lighter rider do nothing but stand on their back leg.  Adjusting the wedge will tune the wave for rider preference.  Fortunately, the driver doesn't need to worry about making these changes.  The surfer can do this as well as adjust speed up or down 2 mph with the surf band, trigger their own transfers & even adjust the volume of tower speakers.  

• Like 3

Yes the wedge historically also creates a need for bow weight.  Except in the 25 or so it seems.  

So you can use it to adjust the steepness of your wave but at the expense of your bow.  

No free lunch.  

Maybe the new ones don't need bow weight.  IDK.  Haven't been in one. 

Edited by bamaboy
14 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Yes the wedge historically also creates a need for bow weight.  Except in the 25 or so it seems.  

Maybe the new ones don't need bow weight.  IDK.  Haven't been in one. 

You haven't been in a 17 25 lsv? I must be high then:biggrin:

Just now, Pnwrider said:

You haven't been in a 17 25 lsv? I must be high then:biggrin:

I meant the 2018s.  2017 is sooooo last year.  

But yes you were high..... For a week straight.  ?

• Like 2

Good job on the ski, but no beginner or intermediate skier is going to slalom with that wake....Not recreational and definitely not in a course.  They simply won't have the technique for it.  Let's just admit that this is not a ski boat... not knocking the boat at all.  It's just not what it was designed to do.