Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

26 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

What's funny is all of this talk about Malibu not competing with the new "surf" boats out there. Like Malibu is falling behind? Or they aren't creating a surf-centric boat? I keep going back to the Southern Surfest results. It had 2 of the top 3 boats being a Malibu. And this event is called "SURFest"...not wakeboardfest, or slalomfest, or all-around-good-boatfest. The highest ranking boat was the 24MXZ, followed by the Centurion ri257, then the Malibu m235. There were 34 total riders, with 4 pro riders. I would say that is a pretty good sampling size of riders, and opinions. And the score was based upon 1) Wave Height, 2) Wave Push, 3) Overall Wave Quality, 4) Boat Build Quality, and 5) Overall Score. 

It will be interesting to see how the new LSV stacks up against the MXZ, and others, in regards to it's surf wave. I can only imagine it will compete with the best of them.

IIRC, the SURFest example kinda proves his point though........ Half of the boats were sacked up well above what they come with out of the box........ not an accurate comparison at all.

3 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

IIRC, the SURFest example kinda proves his point though........ Half of the boats were sacked up well above what they come with out of the box........ not an accurate comparison at all.

The M235 had a BIG bow bag if i remember, and the 24MXZ had a crap ton of lead.  Not that i am opposed to extra ballast :-)   Having it all come from the factory is nice, and takes away the "abuse" clause in warranty claims. 

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

It would also be interesting to know the empty vs loaded draft.  On mine the website says 36" but it is actually over 45" when weighted with factory weight.  

Holy crap... I would be hitting more stuff :( That is one thing that concerns me with getting a new boat, they draft a lot more. Depending on the day, I have 1.5 - 2.5 ft showing for depth on the malview for getting in and out of the boat ramp. My friends G does it regularly.. but I am already going through with a puckered butt and bumping throttle in and out of gear.. or just plain pushing it out... luckily it is sand bottom...

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

While I agree it's cool to say "out of the box"...fact is...if it surfs, it surfs. I am allowed to put 900's in my lockers, so I do. It makes it better. It's cool that some boats don't need it. But the surfest was judging the waves. Do we discount the fact that the MXZ was #1 because it had bags (Not sure if it did or not, but I imagine it did)? Well, can we discount the ri257 from #2 because of how heavy it is to tow? It's a funny game where we try to discount the fact that these boats produced what was voted as the best boat/wave. Some people would rather fill some pnp bags...than buy a diesel tow rig. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Anderson24 said:

While I agree it's cool to say "out of the box"...fact is...if it surfs, it surfs. I am allowed to put 900's in my lockers, so I do. It makes it better. It's cool that some boats don't need it. But the surfest was judging the waves. Do we discount the fact that the MXZ was #1 because it had bags (Not sure if it did or not, but I imagine it did)? Well, can we discount the ri257 from #2 because of how heavy it is to tow? It's a funny game where we try to discount the fact that these boats produced what was voted as the best boat/wave. Some people would rather fill some pnp bags...than buy a diesel tow rig. 

I think what was meant was some boats were there bone stock, i.e. out of the box, and others ran a boat load of extra weight.   I  too find these reviews interesting but I really want to see one event where ALL are set up by enthusiasts.  However even then the waves will be different based on individual likes/dislikes.  I like Firm/Steep, other riders like softer/mellower, so there really is no "best" because of that.   The good thing is EVERYONE is making better than they were even a couple years ago. 

Anyway, 23LSV should have another good year.   There are some great new features, so all good. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Holy crap... I would be hitting more stuff :( That is one thing that concerns me with getting a new boat, they draft a lot more. Depending on the day, I have 1.5 - 2.5 ft showing for depth on the malview for getting in and out of the boat ramp. My friends G does it regularly.. but I am already going through with a puckered butt and bumping throttle in and out of gear.. or just plain pushing it out... luckily it is sand bottom...

I had to add 8' of dock this year to get my lift deep enough.  Much more draft and Ill be having some real issues. 

6 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I think what was meant was some boats were there bone stock, i.e. out of the box, and others ran a boat load of extra weight.   I  too find these reviews interesting but I really want to see one event where ALL are set up by enthusiasts.  However even then the waves will be different based on individual likes/dislikes.  I like Firm/Steep, other riders like softer/mellower, so there really is no "best" because of that.   The good thing is EVERYONE is making better than they were even a couple years ago. 

Anyway, 23LSV should have another good year.   There are some great new features, so all good. 

Totally get that, and maybe I misunderstood. But my original comment was that there a lot of people here complaining that Malibu doesn't make a "Surf" boat. That they are falling behind, and/or people are jumping ship to other brands. My point was that "Look! Malibu is making a boat that surfs with the best (in fact multiple boats)". Why can't we trust the Surfest results? It seems way more logical than trusting pictures, or internet forum talk. Surfest had like 9 or 10 boats there, a pretty good representation. I can't imagine anyone bringing their boat there (whether is was a personal boat or a dealer boat) and saying "I'm gonna run this thing to make a mediocre wave". Those boat owner's knew what they were getting into...their boats were being judged. I don't know about you, but if I knew my boat was being judged I would have it DIALED. But maybe one person's dialed is totally different than someone elses. I know the T23 wasn't using the wedge (crazy in my mind, but maybe that's how they feel their wave is best). There will never be a "standard" that can be addressed to make everything fair (ie ballast, bags, wedge etc). But the scores have got to have some weight to them considering the process.

I completely agree with you, that these waves are only getting better and better. I can only imagine the new LSV will be better than the previous model year. But for some reason I don't think it will be better than the 24MXZ or M235.

do any of your actually believe the DRAFT specs? i have yet to find a boat that is accurate. How do you have a strut angle change and go from a 15" prop with hardly any clearance to a 17" prop with good clearance but draft is the same. are they actually measuring to the bottom of the props?...AND when the prop tip is fully down (not between blades)? lets not even mention start up depth with bow rise etc.. 

And lets be honest about draft vs needed depth...quite different. 

Draft specs ...at best....  are no tower, no speakers , no gas, no people, no options, possibly no batteries in the boat! ha. ok you get the point.

My 2016, 25lsv requires about 40" water depth at the sandbar for moderate "safe level", (top of my swim shorts) for a small level of safety keeping the prop from hitting the hard bottom in any slight wave. at 40" depth i have a few inches incase a wave comes by but i would hit bottom for sure if a roller came by. 

a 2017 has to be a good 4-5" more depth just in simple math.

the RI-series...yikes.. you probably aren't taking them to the sandbar anylonger or will need a dingy to get into shallow waters. granted some of you have sandbars where NO waves come by... 

I kind of like the traction bad area in the center of the rear seat. Lets everyone know to use that area to step on, so only that cushion needs repaired in 5 years. I would think that seat is the last one to get filled. Maybe the center of the sundeck pads could have been executed better, but as someone who has to replace their vinyl this year, I'd much rather have a designated, durable walking area. And I want the best of both worlds: a soft place to lay on as well. A A removable cushion that you can stow under the huge storage of the side seatss when doing water sports is probably the best.

I don't think anyone goes to one of the events with a mediocrity intention.  However there are dealers who will not add extra weight, you get what you get.  

@The Hulk you are forgetting most of these big boats have similar weights empty.  So draft at the sandbar wouldn't be that different if you drain your ballast first.   Yes 5-7" but shouldnt be as dramatic of a difference as your thinking. 

24mxz won by .2 only by interior. Wave not so much compared to th ri257. My scources also said the 24mxz was weighted were the 257 was not and 257 still won hands down for surf wave in southern and other head to head test.   Ri257 is arguably the best surf wave out.

• Like 2

I have taken a few surf sets now behind a 2016 23 LSV and it has 1100# bags in the rear lockers. We run all factory ballast full, wedge halfway (4 clicks down?), 10.8 mph, NO BOW SACK, 450 engine. The crew is usually only 3-4 people and no one in the bow. Yes it is running around 4,000RPMs, but that wave is MASSIVE. For surfing and wakeboarding. After surfing this boat a few times, I've wondered what everyone needs all this bow weight for. Yes there is bow rise, but that could be taken away by wedge if we wanted. I don't think running at 4,000 RPMs is terribly high. My 22VLX with 550's in the back, 450, similar settings runs around the same settings as well.
My point is, I don't see the NEED for all this bow weight in a 23 LSV, especially if you're just running the normal 550# plug n' plays. The wedge is super nice to balance out the weight and an easy fix. Anyone else have this experience or do you all think I'm crazy?

18 hours ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

ID00272708_3.jpg

Sorry to ruin everyone's fun, but this is a custom color metallic. It'd have to be a custom order boat with custom metallic/gel coat. Their new colors are available on boat builder. Cherry Wine (regular & metallic) & Gunmetal Charcoal metallic are the two new colors and then they tweaked the "Malibu Green" as well.

18 minutes ago, Capdoogie said:

And now that the 2018 ri237 has same hull, I here the wave it is identical to ri257. Will be demoing that boat in the next week

When you demo the boat take a really good look at all the wiring, through hull fittings, hose clamps and general build quality. The last one I looked at over a year ago did not impress me. I handed the dealer a  handful of screws and washers I picked up as I looked through the boat. No zip ties however! To be fair the boat I looked at five minutes later was a G23.

36 minutes ago, Capdoogie said:

24mxz won by .2 only by interior. Wave not so much compared to th ri257. My scources also said the 24mxz was weighted were the 257 was not and 257 still won hands down for surf wave in southern and other head to head test.   Ri257 is arguably the best surf wave out.

Won by .02 not .2 

MXZ had a 4.82, RI had a 4.80 and the M235 had a 4.62 then the G23/5  had 4.54 and 4.56.  

But a win is a win.  

53 minutes ago, Capdoogie said:

This is the funny part. "Hands down"

They should have just put the ri257 as #1 then because of that. What were they thinking having people vote on those 5 criteria of a surf boat? Crazy people.

If it was voted on as "firmest" wave...yes the Ri would have narrowly beat out the MXZ based upon those scores. But they took 5 categories into consideration. With "Boat Build Quality" as the only non-wave specific category. 

Personal opinions are exactly that, personal. This was a group (34 people) of personal opinions. And it averaged out in the end. And just think about .02 difference...that's not that much. Maybe if they put 1000 more pounds in the Ri then it would have received .02, or maybe even .03 points higher than the MXZ. But the point is this...that Malibu is competing with the best, if not beating the best surf boats out there (based upon personal opinions).

And FYI, my personal opinion of the Ri257 is that it is a surf monster. @DarkSide has an unreal boat and surf wave. It is, in my opinion, one of the best boats I have ever personally surfed. 

I don't mean to discredit any opinions out there for or against all of these boats. I am just trying to get past the over-sensationalism of some of these posts and let the people speak!! 

Edited by Anderson24
1 minute ago, Anderson24 said:

This is the funny part. "Hands down"

They should have just put the ri257 as #1 then because of that. What were they thinking having people vote on those 5 criteria of a surf boat? Crazy people.

If it was voted on as "firmest" wave...yes the Ri would have narrowly beat out the MXZ based upon those scores. But they took 5 categories into consideration. With "Boat Build Quality" as the only non-wave specific category. 

Personal opinions are exactly that, personal. This was a group (34 people) of personal opinions. And it averaged out in the end. And just think about .2 difference...that's not that much. Maybe if they put 1000 more pounds in the Ri then it would have received .02, or maybe even .03 points higher than the MXZ. But the point is this...that Malibu is competing with the best, if not beating the best surf boats out there (based upon personal opinions).

Can someone please tell me how many "surf specific" boats there are... I can't even use all the fingers on one hand.. I am not counting a boat with the word surf on the side due to the fact it has a surf system... true surf specific boats.. I think of 3 - 4... Centurion, MasterCraft just released one, HeyDay, and maybe Ski Supreme... Tige claims surf specific.. but they are still designed for wake boarding as well... Out of all of those... Centurion is probably the only surf specific boat.. I would put the Ski Supreme in there as well.. but the one I demoed was a pain to do anything with (surf tabs had no gauge on them to show how far deployed or if fully deployed/retracted that it does not count in my book.

I live in one of the top 10 biggest cities in US... and there is not Centurion dealership for 300 miles.... so I am not going to even bother (although I tried, but the dealer ship cancelled my demo so I won't even bother with them anymore....

So topic is 2018  23 LSV... Malibu's TOP selling and the industries TOP selling boat... Why take your TOP selling boat and make it surf specific...

Also... as @DarkSide stated... and it so true.. there are different brands and different models to appease different peoples taste...

I can't wait to demo a new 23.. I think I might have finally found a reason to upgrade ;)

I have my concerns... Have to buy a new tow vehicle and draft.. but if G23 can get out.. I should be as well too 

Not sure theres really such a thing as "surf specific" anyway. Cuz it would surely do a good job wakeboarding if its good for surfing. I mean look at the "slalom" boats out there surfing now cuz of shaper gates. When Todd was with Centurion he used to tell us they didnt need to add things like wedges and gates cuz they made their hull right for surfing to begin with - uh ok.

Can you fish for catfish from a bass boat?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Brad B said:

Not sure theres really such a thing as "surf specific" anyway. Cuz it would surely do a good job wakeboarding if its good for surfing. I mean look at the "slalom" boats out there surfing now cuz of shaper gates. When Todd was with Centurion he used to tell us they didnt need to add things like wedges and gates cuz they made their hull right for surfing to begin with - uh ok.

Can you fish for catfish from a bass boat?

The malibu creates a more ballanced low speed wake.   I can get either side clean at slow speeds but not both at the same time, to change clean sides is a couple seconds, without moving people or weight. which is fine because your generating small(ish) low speed wakes for beginners.  The BU is better at symmetry.   My wake doesn't become symmetrical until around 22-22.5. 

However as for fishing for cat fish from a bass boat....."spear" fishin from a wakeboat is more fun

20170704_205010-2016x1134.jpg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Capdoogie said:

So... did Malibu change the wet running side of the hull or just taller freeboard

We may never know the answer to that question. Does it matter?  I mean honestly, even if they told you, "Yeah, we tweaked the running surface" what would you do with that information?  How would you know if that was good or bad?  

• Like 3