Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

Man for those of us who are wannabe diy wrenches, how in the friggin world do you get impeller access with those l shaped tanks in the already too-small-for-anyone-but-a-hobbit rear locker holes?  

Not envying the mechanics on this one. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

:lol: I don't follow football at all so that may not work. I don't even follow the Cowboys and I'm not far from Dallas. But, I would think that most team's fans would follow their teams blindly through thick or thin. Most aren't fair weather fans.

He is a fair weather Michigan Fan what do you expect 

While not huge changes I think they have added some very good new features 

They just need to stop showing the maroon color scheme 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

In the past, when Malibu has released a significant upgrade like this (2009-2010 and 2013-2014) did it result in a high number of new, hold overs from the outgoing model? In this case, do you guys anticipate dealers having more 2017s than normal that they're trying to get rid of this coming off season?

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Man for those of us who are wannabe diy wrenches, how in the friggin world do you get impeller access with those l shaped tanks in the already too-small-for-anyone-but-a-hobbit rear locker holes?  

Not envying the mechanics on this one. 

On the LSV you can get to the impellor (as well as the oil change hose and filter) by lifting the rear seats and removing the bins.  I don't have to get in the boat to do most maintenance.  I do it from the platform

edit:  teamerickson beat me to it :)

Edited by pauley71
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Right but you guys don't have the tanks that take up the back/inside of the lockers?

plug changes / winterization?

Could be tougher. 

36159073615_aeba6fbfe0_b.jpg

• Like 3

It's a little frustrating that Malibu doesn't have a full on wakesurf boat.  Now I've been with Malibu for a long time, on my six or is it fith boat. Three 23 lsv's.    It's nice to see they are finally getting more freeboard so as not to take on rollers over the bow.  Plus my favorite, the electric riser seat.   But they are lame on the factory ballast tank capacity, and fill times.   With the new hull we should of seen unreal ballast numbers. Not a rep standing waist high in a compartment that could hold more ballast.  Other manufacturers are starting to surpass them in this category.  Making and all round boat just means it does everything mediocre. IMO.    I still like the look of this boat and I'm a long time Malibu fan, but I'm now starting to look elsewhere for my next purchase. IMO

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Capdoogie said:

It's a little frustrating that Malibu doesn't have a full on wakesurf boat.  Now I've been with Malibu for a long time, on my six or is it fith boat. Three 23 lsv's.    It's nice to see they are finally getting more freeboard so as not to take on rollers over the bow.  Plus my favorite, the electric riser seat.   But they are lame on the factory ballast tank capacity, and fill times.   With the new hull we should of seen unreal ballast numbers. Not a rep standing waist high in a compartment that could hold more ballast.  Other manufacturers are starting to surpass them in this category.  Making and all round boat just means it does everything mediocre. IMO.    I still like the look of this boat and I'm a long time Malibu fan, but I'm now starting to look elsewhere for my next purchase. IMO

Up until last week, I would have agreed with you about more ballast, but the thread on diminishing returns with respect to ballast has piqued my interest... 

maybe Malibu is on to something?

Edited by hunter77ah
14 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Stopping is the issue, not the power to get or keep the load moving.  

I wonder what amps will power the Rev 10's.    In all reality, this 2018 checks off a few of my pet peeves on my 2016 and moves it that much closer to being just perfect (at least for us), especially if the stock stereo performs.  Now, it probably isn't enough to make us upgrade though.    Next, we need to see the wave.    I assume it will be MXZ like out of the box, but in reality I can't outride the wave I have, so it won't be a reason to upgrade yet.  

This is your Rev10 amplifier for 2 sets of Rev 10s.    SynDx2.3 High Power   According to WS they push 2 sets of Rev10s pretty good, but not like the SD series.  Power is close to a SD2, but there are differences in the headroom, beefier components, and a couple other things.  

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN-DX23HP.html

14 hours ago, bamaboy said:

You would make a PERFECT Detroit Lions fan

Or a perfect Chicago Bears or Cleveland Browns fan :lol:

I love the looks of the new LSV. I like the deeper storage. The sun pad things are dumb IMO. I highly doubt they did anything to take care of the bow ballast issue to put out a nice surf wave. Regardless, this boat will be on my shopping list when the time comes to upgrade.

That's fine.   But just like making the response for tournament style slalom.  Malibu should come out with a Mack daddy surf only boat.  If you buy it you know what your getting into.

What's funny is all of this talk about Malibu not competing with the new "surf" boats out there. Like Malibu is falling behind? Or they aren't creating a surf-centric boat? I keep going back to the Southern Surfest results. It had 2 of the top 3 boats being a Malibu. And this event is called "SURFest"...not wakeboardfest, or slalomfest, or all-around-good-boatfest. The highest ranking boat was the 24MXZ, followed by the Centurion ri257, then the Malibu m235. There were 34 total riders, with 4 pro riders. I would say that is a pretty good sampling size of riders, and opinions. And the score was based upon 1) Wave Height, 2) Wave Push, 3) Overall Wave Quality, 4) Boat Build Quality, and 5) Overall Score. 

It will be interesting to see how the new LSV stacks up against the MXZ, and others, in regards to it's surf wave. I can only imagine it will compete with the best of them.

Edited by Anderson24
I suck at spelling and grammar

@Capdoogie, to be fair, different people want different things.   Which is why there are different boats and brands.   The 23LSV has been a staple because it does many things well.   I agree it would be interesting to see a Malibu surf monster, but Malibu at this point does not NEED to create one. 

@Fman giant surf boats can be VERY fuel efficient, and can ride and drive like a Cadillac.  

Same thing with design some will like edgy, others will like the more classic lines.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, these two designs are VERY different.  

IMG_20170725_075224_814-1173x1173.jpg

• Like 2

Ill argue counter to most on here and say that just about every boat out there today is surf-centric.  Not many companies give a s*** about the wakeboard wake anymore and honestly Im much happier with my wake than I am with most of the newer style boats.  If I go pro level ballast, sure newer boats have mine beat, but finding a nice wake thatll clean up decent at a slow speed, those days appear to be gone.

Truth be told I hope boats don't get too crazy when it comes to making bigger waves.

With more and more surf boats on my lake and bigger waves we're starting to see complaints from home owners.  I'm on an 840 acre lake so it's good size, but not huge.  There is a point where it becomes a problem on my lake.  Beat up lake shore, swamped boats, etc.  Irresponsible owners?  Yes.  In fact I went and talked to someone 2 weeks ago that swamped my dock riding to close to the shore.

It's sorta like those guys with jacked up diesels 'rolling coal' all over the place.  They give all diesel owners a bad name.  

3 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Anyone have an idea on what the draft is on this new LSV?  Im guessing its somewhere in the 30"+ range.

Website says 27" so no change 

13 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@Capdoogie, to be fair, different people want different things.   Which is why there are different boats and brands.   The 23LSV has been a staple because it does many things well.   I agree it would be interesting to see a Malibu surf monster, but Malibu at this point does not NEED to create one. 

@Fman giant surf boats can be VERY fuel efficient, and can ride and drive like a Cadillac.  

Same thing with design some will like edgy, others will like the more classic lines.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, these two designs are VERY different.  

IMG_20170725_075224_814-1173x1173.jpg

I've yet to be in any boat with 5000 lbs+ ballast that felt the same as 2000 lbs.  Maybe I need to get out more:)

6 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Anyone have an idea on what the draft is on this new LSV?  Im guessing its somewhere in the 30"+ range.

It would also be interesting to know the empty vs loaded draft.  On mine the website says 36" but it is actually over 45" when weighted with factory weight.