Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

one ton

racer808

As an aside, I took my cousin for a ride in my truck last night and she asked me why I went with a gasser this time.  I just laughed as said, no, this is a Duramax, and her jaw dropped because she is used to her older one that actually sounds like a diesel and she could not believe how quiet it was.  

29 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

How much do you need?  If you need 7K or more, I am not aware of anything short of a full sized SUV that will tow 7k pounds.  Without looking up specific ratings, off the top of my head, you are looking at (if properly equipped) Touareg, Durango, Cayenne, Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban, Grand Cherokee, Armada, Escalade, Expedition, Land Cruiser, and I think one or more of the Range Rovers.  

My boat and trailer is 6k dry.. add 70 gallons of gas and gear it's pushing 7k.

My wife won't drive a tahoe (we had a yukon denali and she hated it).

9 hours ago, racer808 said:

Thinking about maybe checking out this place in TX, they got some good prices on trucks.  I assume they are all fleet work vehicles.  Anything to watch out for on these vehicles?  

http://www.texasdieselstore.com/2006-GMC-Sierra-2500HD-SLT-Killeen-TX/6004276

I am not a Chevy guy, but I know there are those that think the LBZ was the best Duramax engine made.

Personally, I can't see paying that much for a 11 year old truck with over 150,000 miles.  As was said, with incentives, I think you can get into a new diesel for upper $40s or lower $50s.  Which is a lot more money, but you get a brand new truck, more power, full warranty.

17 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

2015 is 6600# with factory tow package, IIRC.  2017 is 7700# with factory tow package.  

Ours is 6800# ..... the boat is 6300# full of fuel and gear on the trailer. 

It would be interesting to use a new one pulling more weight. The piece I am always concerned with is stability...... the wheelbase of the Q7 is probably pushing it for a 23lsv but it does a great  job..... If I hooked a newer lsv the dynamics could be totally different with the extra weight. I admit I do get a couple of comments a year from people saying how can that pull that. I tell them.... better than the escalade it replaced. 

the touregs and cayenne have a shorter wheel base which could be more challenging. I can't say enough good things about the 3.0l Diesel in these vehicles 

So here's a dumb question, I have an old GMC 2500.  It runs decent enough, it's my lake beater we keep at the lake to launch the boat from the beach & store crap in.  Do you think if I Put a 5th wheel hitch on it that thing would be enough to tow a 5th wheel around the property till I buy a new truck?  

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I would say that just about any full size truck would be adequate to move most 5ers "around the property".

Out of curiosity, what lake are you guys on?

Empire.  I am trying to get on one of the other lakes that dont run out of water but unless you know someone it ain't gonna happen.  I love the people at Empire though

@racer808  Lots of the private lakes in Colorado are tough because of the water issue.  I have some friends that have been on a waiting list for one of the Wellington lakes for like 15 years.  And I think they have moved up 2 spots on the waiting list.

9 hours ago, RyanB said:

@racer808  Lots of the private lakes in Colorado are tough because of the water issue.  I have some friends that have been on a waiting list for one of the Wellington lakes for like 15 years.  And I think they have moved up 2 spots on the waiting list.

Where do you usually go or do you belong to a lake?

15 hours ago, racer808 said:

Where do you usually go or do you belong to a lake?

We trailer a bunch.  For 2017 we will do 4-6 Powell trips.  I just booked Blue Mesa for July 4th.  Mid-June we will be at North Sterling.  We will also do trips to Steamboat Lake, Big Mac and Glendo.  And probably some day trips to Horsetooth.

Honestly, with the exception of Powell, we get bored going to the same lake more than a couple weekends.

8 hours ago, RyanB said:

We trailer a bunch.  For 2017 we will do 4-6 Powell trips.  I just booked Blue Mesa for July 4th.  Mid-June we will be at North Sterling.  We will also do trips to Steamboat Lake, Big Mac and Glendo.  And probably some day trips to Horsetooth.

Honestly, with the exception of Powell, we get bored going to the same lake more than a couple weekends.

We do too.  We like to,go every weekend so we mostly stay local which is what makes having the private lake better.  If I could do Powell or Seminoe every weekend I'd be all about that.  I do like sterling, tent camping was very hit or miss and once down right dangerous.  We're on the fence right now about resigning with empire getting a trailer or not doing either.  But the public lakes on Saturdays are just down right dangerous.

2 hours ago, racer808 said:

We do too.  We like to,go every weekend so we mostly stay local which is what makes having the private lake better.  If I could do Powell or Seminoe every weekend I'd be all about that.  I do like sterling, tent camping was very hit or miss and once down right dangerous.  We're on the fence right now about resigning with empire getting a trailer or not doing either.  But the public lakes on Saturdays are just down right dangerous.

We go just about every weekend as well.  Just willing to drive a little further to get away from the Front Range crowds.  My distance threshold for a weekend trip is about 250 miles one way.  That gets us to areas where you can actually have fun being in the water in the weekend.

Sometimes we will do back to back weekends at the same lake.  When we are able to do that, we leave the truck and RV either at the lake, or in the case of North Sterling, somewhere near the lake.  That way we save some time/gas $ as we take two vehicles to the lake.

I see the draw of a private lake. Less crowds, leave the RV there and have it set up when we get there.  I just don't know of any lakes that we personally would be happy doing that at.  I am jealous of some of the other parts of the country that have really nice, big lakes that would be an option for that.  One major drawback of Colorado.

Edited by RyanB
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

We go just about every weekend as well.  Just willing to drive a little further to get away from the Front Range crowds.  My distance threshold for a weekend trip is about 250 miles one way.  That gets us to areas where you can actually have fun being in the water in the weekend.

Sometimes we will do back to back weekends at the same lake.  When we are able to do that, we leave the truck and RV either at the lake, or in the case of North Sterling, somewhere near the lake.  That way we save some time/gas $ as we take two vehicles to the lake.

I see the draw of a private lake. Less crowds, leave the RV there and have it set up when we get there.  I just don't know of any lakes that we personally would be happy doing that at.  I am jealous of some of the other parts of the country that have really nice, big lakes that would be an option for that.  One major drawback of Colorado.

I think you'd like Empire aside from being at the same lake, it's as big if not bigger than Jackson & a busy Saturday means 12 boats & everyone respects the other persons space, sometimes there's no avoiding each others wakes though in the surf lines where it's deepest, but the 10' & under has miles of space for boarding.  The only time I've ever had any issues is the guys with I/O's from the other side of the lake and even then it is minimal & they didn't get that close, they just messed up my glass.  No jet skis allowed that's one big thing!  We do hit other lakes at times, I just get up there really early for decon & when returning to Empire I just show the owner the tag so he knows we're clean.  I love the community aspect & getting to know new people, drinking beers in the evenings & walking around meeting the others.  It's nice to get home Friday, grab my back pack, some food head up there & be on the water early, the rest of the place no one gets up before 10 so you have it to yourself all morning

Sounds like fun.  But you hit on one of the other disadvantages - the ANS decon BS.  I don't think I have ever had a decon that took less than 40 minutes.  That is actually a reason we have backed off Glendo, having to decon when we get back.  Now we only do Glendo either right before or right after a Powell trip.

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Sounds like fun.  But you hit on one of the other disadvantages - the ANS decon BS.  I don't think I have ever had a decon that took less than 40 minutes.  That is actually a reason we have backed off Glendo, having to decon when we get back.  Now we only do Glendo either right before or right after a Powell trip.

Well, I'm a bastard for this, but I only visit the clean lakes soo, with the hard tanks I don't say anything about my sacs, we're done in 10 or 15.  I do get pissed that that they run the engine forever waiting for water to expel cause they're using 120 degree water and takes a bit.  Makes me nervous and I've snapped at the people a few times,. 

5 hours ago, racer808 said:

Well, I'm a bastard for this, but I only visit the clean lakes soo, with the hard tanks I don't say anything about my sacs, we're done in 10 or 15.  I do get pissed that that they run the engine forever waiting for water to expel cause they're using 120 degree water and takes a bit.  Makes me nervous and I've snapped at the people a few times,. 

My decons have all been just with my hard tanks.  And they still take forever.  And usually, it is Dumb and Dumber doing them.  Each following a different procedure than they did last time.  Not a fan.

On 12/30/2016 at 7:58 PM, RyanB said:

My decons have all been just with my hard tanks.  And they still take forever.  And usually, it is Dumb and Dumber doing them.  Each following a different procedure than they did last time.  Not a fan.

Oh thats right, yours are still in the boat hosed in.  I have the gravity tanks so they just blast water in, watch it flow right back out.  So I don't blame you one bit, I would've dealt with that with my Bu

On 12/22/2016 at 5:19 AM, racer808 said:

How reliable are the dodge ram 2500/3500 cummins engines, or gas for that matter?  I had an 08 ram 1500 before my 2014, granted I got rid of it at 65k miles but truck was solid & this ones been solid too.  What are the previous years when the dodge drive train was crap?  So many options out there now that I'm looking

I quite often pull 25K+

I had an 08 Ram 3500 SRW. 253k miles, Had one transmission at 92k by dealer. This truck saw a 12' enclosed trailer about 60% of the time I had it, Also had a Gooseneck with a Mini Ex about once a week. 

I have now upgraded to a 14 Ram SRW 3500. I have 70k on the clock with no issues. Only the normal minor recalls.

My 3 Fords before 03 250, 04 350, 06 350. Not one went over 75k. The 03 was gone at 33K, The 04 went at 75k, and the 06 only made it 55k.

On 12/22/2016 at 4:18 PM, RyanB said:

Interesting.  I don't think I have ever seen the 5.7 in a 3500.  I think that would be a very tough sell.

It was, especially crew cab 2wd.

I have one, the dealer basically gave it to me. It set on the lot for 18 months I only purchased it because of the $. It has a utility bed and is not all that bad.

However, Employees drive it. If I had to drive it daily. It would have already been sold.

I love my diesel.  

16 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Word has been out on that one for a little while.  Honestly, I am surprised that the Alison can take that output.  Everything that I have read alluded to the Alison already being at the limit of it's power capacity.  

Either way, I am pretty sure that your Duramax was under-rated.  It has won every head to head towing comparison I have seen for several years.

Just now, RyanB said:

Word has been out on that one for a little while.  Honestly, I am surprised that the Alison can take that output.  Everything that I have read alluded to the Alison already being at the limit of it's power capacity.  

Either way, I am pretty sure that your Duramax was under-rated.  It has won every head to head towing comparison I have seen for several years.

As blasphemous as this sounds, I honestly don't need any more power.  I can tow 14K over the passes at 70, and I don't tow any heavier than that.  And I could always chip it if I wanted to, but I think the 2016 has the perfect balance of power and durability.  

Also, I buy on three year cycles, so this will give some time to see if all that power tears up the rest of the truck, and I won't have to pay a brand-new-engine premium next when I pick up an 18 or 19 three years from now.   

5 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

As blasphemous as this sounds, I honestly don't need any more power.  I can tow 14K over the passes at 70, and I don't tow any heavier than that.  And I could always chip it if I wanted to, but I think the 2016 has the perfect balance of power and durability.  

Also, I buy on three year cycles, so this will give some time to see if all that power tears up the rest of the truck, and I won't have to pay a brand-new-engine premium next when I pick up an 18 or 19 three years from now.   

Totally agree with your observations.  My '16 duramax has about 18k miles on it now and it's been flawless.  The powertrain is excellent and while Ford or Dodge claim better specs in one aspect or another, the duramax/allison combo always does well in any head to head comparison.

Edited by tjklein