Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram 6.4

Falko

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Yup.  So the original thought was that the 2500 was for your wife to drive or you are keeping multiple cars/trucks insured for different purposes?  That is another one that never makes sense to me, car to commute truck to tow, pay for and insure them both.

Makes sense for me.  Car is my fun DD, truck is my family vehicle, long trips and tow vehicle.  Also allows me to have one vehicle down for repairs (waiting on parts).  Car gets better than the truck on fuel, but with 2x stock boost that I can't keep my foot out of + premium, the savings isn't that great in fuel. 

As a recent example, the wife had an exhaust clamp break on her Audi for no apparent reason (rest of the exhaust system looks great).  I was out of town on a business trip.  She drives the truck while I am gone until I can come back and spend the 20 minutes replacing the $16 clamp.  Or we could have not had a spare vehicle, as my car was at the airport.  She would have spent at least $300 at the dealer, spent a couple hours traveling back/forth taking it there and waiting and had to rearrange her schedule.  Having a spare car can make a lot of sense.

• Like 2

A third vehicle can make economic sense as well, though I admit it is tough to justify (I have the excel spreadsheets to prove it). I was able to pull it off, but I get reimbursed for mileage and drive a lot. So my case is a bit extreme but the numbers work for me so add me to the 3 vehicle camp. 

We have three and I'm not sure I want to see that spreadsheet. My two (pickup and daily driver) combined are still about half of my wife's vehicle. I do tend to buy used so that how i justify it, at least i've got myself convinced.

53 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

We have three and I'm not sure I want to see that spreadsheet. My two (pickup and daily driver) combined are still about half of my wife's vehicle. I do tend to buy used so that how i justify it, at least i've got myself convinced.

Plus when you have hoopties, it's good to have one in reserve.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

but not regarding the 6.4 gasser that is the subject of this thread.

Yep, I should have referenced this:

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:59 PM, oldjeep said:

I kind of wonder if this is why the new Cummins 5.0 is considered underpowered. It probably meets the emissions standards that these other smaller engines do not and hence can't quite make the power.

2 hours ago, Falko said:

I kind of wonder if this is why the new Cummins 5.0 is considered underpowered. It probably meets the emissions standards that these other smaller engines do not and hence can't quite make the power.

The cummins 5.0 makes more power than the ecodiesel.  It's just in a truck that weighs 1300 lbs more.  The cummins 5.0 in a ram or f150 chassis would be a whole different animal I think.

Not to mention that from what I've read, the Titan XD is classified as a heavy duty truck (8500+ GVWR) so it is subject to less stringent emissions standards than the light duty trucks.  

I thought the regulations really only concerned fuel mileage. The particulate counts and NOx requirements weren't that unrestricted. I could be totally wrong.

It's 66% bigger so I would expect the more power. It's just the articles I've read on it states it isn't powerful enough, probably more comparing to the real 3/4 diesels available. But what you state about the truck's weight is true, she's heavy. (and with no more hauling capability than the halves, but that is a different discussion)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here drive a Mega cab truck? Looked at one, she's big. Already too tall for most parking garages, but that extra length, is it a huge hindrance?

My daily is a lifted, quad cab long bed. Gave up on parking garages long ago. Gets tight when I take it to sf or parts of Oakland. You'll like the extra length towing. 

I understood the Megacab more before RAM went to the 4th Gen trucks with a full crew cab.  I am not sure what the advantage of it is now.  My crew has plenty of leg room.  I guess maybe the reeling back seat is what people like?  Personally, I prefer having a long bed.

The Mega Cab is awesome.  I am about to get my second one.  I went from mega cab to crew cab long bed dually.  I did miss the mega cab a couple times.  On long trips the rear seats recline just enough to be super comfy.  Plus you have a little bit of storage inside the cab. 

This will be my 4th Ram, and the big diesels hold thier value REALLY well for a vehicle.  Almost 3 years old 51,000 miles on it, and getting just over 82% of my original purchase price for it as trade in.  The 1500's don't hold up nearly as well.  You pay more up front, but you get it back.

I think Nissan has the 5.0 Cummins so choked up with emissions it can't breath.  The XD owners have an emissions delete jihad under way for someone to develop a kink free delete module that is plug and play, and then removable for warranty work.

numerous reports of qaqc issues on the 5.0'Cummins, false empty DEF codes won't allow truck to start, many cold (15degs and under) start issues and their info-tainment Bluetooth software issues.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 7:29 PM, DarkSide said:

The Mega Cab is awesome.  I am about to get my second one.  I went from mega cab to crew cab long bed dually.  I did miss the mega cab a couple times.  On long trips the rear seats recline just enough to be super comfy.  Plus you have a little bit of storage inside the cab. 

This will be my 4th Ram, and the big diesels hold thier value REALLY well for a vehicle.  Almost 3 years old 51,000 miles on it, and getting just over 82% of my original purchase price for it as trade in.  The 1500's don't hold up nearly as well.  You pay more up front, but you get it back.

Did you buy a MegaCab diesel?

It seems GM got brought back down to earth recently on sales... and brought the 1500 6.2L prices down...

You can find several 6.2L LTZ 4x4 Crewcabs in the $41-42k range.  I know a year ago those were a $45-$47k range.