Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram 6.4

Falko

17 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Except the small business owners in the oilfield that consistently pull 20k+ loads daily, we have three different contractors at our company that have tried the big three. None of them use the Ram anymore.

Of course they don't, that ecoboost is wayyyyy cheaper to haul those loads  ??? better check those guys hauling the 30k plus loads daily ?

On 5/18/2017 at 7:31 PM, MLBurns said:

Except the small business owners in the oilfield that consistently pull 20k+ loads daily, we have three different contractors at our company that have tried the big three. None of them use the Ram anymore.

Small business owners?  Like Hot Shot drivers?  I'll argue with you on that all day long. I'm sure I can't find it now (I'm at the lake) but I have seen data that RAM is the leader for Hot Shoters. 

Just look at what you see pulling those loads on the interstate. It's RAM. At least it is where I live and work. 

@bamaboy i am on my 4th Ram in 5 years.   Here is what i have learned.

2012 1500 laramie, crew cab, hemi.  Decent truck,  not great for pulling heavy. Ride and handling was nice. Resale sucked!

2012 2500 limited, mega cab, CTD.  Great truck!  Comfortable,  pulled boat like a boss.  Resale very good

2014 3500 laramie, crew cab, lomgbed dually.  Aisin tranny.  Pulled like a freight train,  ride and maneuverability sucked. Never short on power, fuel economy was poor. 10-11 MPG pulling the BU.  Resale was fantastic, 3 years,  54,000 miles, trade was 7k less than i paid in 2014!  

2017 3500 mega cab Limited, CTD 3.42  Best truck ever.  Ride is decent, i plan to change shocks then ride will be good.   RAM BOX is freaking awesome.  Holds all of your boat cleaning stuff, and still has plenty of other room.   Pulls my 257 like a boss 70 MPH up hill, without issue.  After having a mega cab, going back to crew cab was tough. Never again Mega cabs from now on.  The Laramie package is nice but, the limited is in a different league.  Fuel economy so far is decent,  17-18 normal,  12 towing the 257.  

@spikew919 maybe we can meetup on the water next month.... 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@bamaboy i am on my 4th Ram in 5 years.   Here is what i have learned.

2012 1500 laramie, crew cab, hemi.  Decent truck,  not great for pulling heavy. Ride and handling was nice. Resale sucked!

2012 2500 limited, mega cab, CTD.  Great truck!  Comfortable,  pulled boat like a boss.  Resale very good

2014 3500 laramie, crew cab, lomgbed dually.  Aisin tranny.  Pulled like a freight train,  ride and maneuverability sucked. Never short on power, fuel economy was poor. 10-11 MPG pulling the BU.  Resale was fantastic, 3 years,  54,000 miles, trade was 7k less than i paid in 2014!  

2017 3500 mega cab Limited, CTD 3.42  Best truck ever.  Ride is decent, i plan to change shocks then ride will be good.   RAM BOX is freaking awesome.  Holds all of your boat cleaning stuff, and still has plenty of other room.   Pulls my 257 like a boss 70 MPH up hill, without issue.  After having a mega cab, going back to crew cab was tough. Never again Mega cabs from now on.  The Laramie package is nice but, the limited is in a different league.  Fuel economy so far is decent,  17-18 normal,  12 towing the 257.  

@spikew919 maybe we can meetup on the water next month.... 

No one understands about mega cab till they actually own one. And yes for sure on the trip to smith. Already made plans with @ConnollyCrew to all meet up that weekend next month. We are going to smith also this month from 23rd to 29th. ?????? 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, bamaboy said:

I drove a power wagon today.  

My review?  Meh...

Power wagon is for a pretty specific list of needs/wants.  If you don't actually use them off road then having electronic swaybar disconnects, lockers and a winch are just more stuff to break that you will never use.

9 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Are there any changes coming for 2018? Those models will be out soon.

I'm torn right now.  

I hear the Duramax has some refinements coming in 2018.  Nothing major but some small fixes.  I also recently discovered this truck.  I'm in love with it with that sport bar deleted.  

2016-gmc-life-sierra-2500-hd-all-terrain

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

I'm torn right now.  

I hear the Duramax has some refinements coming in 2018.  Nothing major but some small fixes.  I also recently discovered this truck.  I'm in love with it with that sport bar deleted.  

2016-gmc-life-sierra-2500-hd-all-terrain

Agreed. Very awesome. I honestly don't know what is changing for 2018, Ram or GM. I just feel like they are both due for an update. Might be 2019 though.

'17 was a pretty big upgrade for the DMax--not that it really even needed it--and I doubt another big upgrade will come in 18 to the power train.  The real beauty of the DMax is that there have been no radical changes to it in years.  GM just keeps making small progressive tweaks to keep making it slightly better over time so no surprises and no reliability issues and no unintended consequences from big changes.  I hope GM keeps this strategy into the foreseeable future.  

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

'17 was a pretty big upgrade for the DMax--not that it really even needed it--and I doubt another big upgrade will come in 18 to the power train.  The real beauty of the DMax is that there have been no radical changes to it in years.  GM just keeps making small progressive tweaks to keep making it slightly better over time so no surprises and no reliability issues and no unintended consequences from big changes.  I hope GM keeps this strategy into the foreseeable future.  

Agreed. Same with their 1500 series trucks. I like knowing exactly what I bought and buying a gm truck right now you know what you are getting for many any years to come. I plan on keeping my truck for a long time and I know all of the new trucks are getting great reviews through 70-100k but I will probably surpass that by quite a bit. I drive A LOT.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, RyanB said:

Small business owners?  Like Hot Shot drivers?  I'll argue with you on that all day long. I'm sure I can't find it now (I'm at the lake) but I have seen data that RAM is the leader for Hot Shoters. 

Just look at what you see pulling those loads on the interstate. It's RAM. At least it is where I live and work. 

Come on out to the oilfields in west Texas and take a look for yourself, wont see nearly as many here. Hot Shot is all highway miles where the exhaust has plenty of time to regen.

2 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Not expecting a big upgrade.  Just a refinement to a brand new engine. I'm sure there are bugs to work out.  I've already heard of a couple

16 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Not expecting a big upgrade.  Just a refinement to a brand new engine. I'm sure there are bugs to work out.  I've already heard of a couple

That's a good point.  One of the reasons I bought the '16 this year instead of waiting for '17.  No surprises.  My next truck will be a left over, year-end close out '19 or '20 (assuming neither of those have a brand new engine).     

Edited by jjackkrash
21 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Come on out to the oilfields in west Texas and take a look for yourself, wont see nearly as many here. Hot Shot is all highway miles where the exhaust has plenty of time to regen.

I haven't been to Texas in a while.  But I can tell you that Halliburton runs a ton of RAMs in Colorado.  And the oil fields in the Dakotas and Wyoming have a ton of RAM as well.  

I am of the belief that all 3 of the trucks (regardless of 1500/2500/3500) are not much short of great.  Really can't go wrong with any of them.  That said, RAM has been very good to me.  If I were in the market today, that is what I would buy again.

Edited by RyanB

3 different trims:

1) laramie (ford lariat equivalent (actually better equipped)

2) laramie longhorn (king ranch equivalent, complete with belt buckle seat back storage clasps)

3) laramie limited (most plush, think ford platinum with more attention to detail and smoked ash steering wheel and trim)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, nyryan2001 said:

Someone on here said that the Limited trim is above the Laramie.... it must be a previous years option.  All I see is Laramie and Long Horn.

Where are you looking?

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2
Just now, carguy79ta said:

where does my 13 2500 Ram diesel outdoorsman fit in the pecking order?  my first non GM vehicle since teenage years.

specialty trim like rebel.  I don't think its offerred any more.  Kind of in between longhorn and laramie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2017 at 1:08 PM, jjackkrash said:

The L5P is basically a new engine. Only thing retained is the displacement

9 hours ago, leje0306 said:

The L5P is basically a new engine. Only thing retained is the displacement

Good to know.  I'm glad I stuck with the '16 until it sees some use.  I have not really looked into the specific changes (I did not realize they were that radical), but now I am curious.  

Edited by jjackkrash