Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram 6.4

Falko

1 hour ago, nyryan2001 said:

Gotcha.  So the AISIN is the top tranny for the Ram.

Yeah, but when you go to a 3500 you lose the super cushy ride of the RAM 2500.  

If it was just a tow vehicle I would say go for the 900/aisin but if it is a daily driver, I wouldn't

56 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Yeah, but when you go to a 3500 you lose the super cushy ride of the RAM 2500.  

If it was just a tow vehicle I would say go for the 900/aisin but if it is a daily driver, I wouldn't

Get a ram 2500 mega cab longhorn or limited. And don't look back.  Get the 3.73 gears or 3.42's whichever you want have had both. And unless you are pulling 22k like I used to when I used to pull a caterpillar, d5k Lgp dozier on a gooseneck trailer. And that was just the dozier, trailer weighed 6500.  

Between the 2 gear ratios the 3.42 gets marginally  better mileage. Then delete that biatch and get 24.5 mpg on highway figured with pen and pass anyone you want with 550 hp at rear wheels. But turn Down to maybe 40 hp extra to tow with and more aggressive Jake brake. The 4 way csp switch and efi love to tune with.  ?????? I get 13 to 14 towing m235 full of gear and fuel on low setting but still baby tranny at shift points till get it moving, since I have 3.42's and 35" tires on this truck. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Get a ram 2500 mega cab longhorn or limited. And don't look back.  Get the 3.73 gears or 3.42's whichever you want have had both. And unless you are pulling 22k like I used to when I used to pull a caterpillar, d5k Lgp dozier on a gooseneck trailer. And that was just the dozier, trailer weighed 6500.  

Between the 2 gear ratios the 3.42 gets marginally  better mileage. Then delete that biatch and get 24.5 mpg on highway figured with pen and pass anyone you want with 550 hp at rear wheels. But turn Down to maybe 40 hp extra to tow with and more aggressive Jake brake. The 4 way csp switch and efi love to tune with.  ?????? I get 13 to 14 towing m235 full of gear and fuel on low setting but still baby tranny at shift points till get it moving, since I have 3.42's and 35" tires on this truck. 

you can't get 3.73 gears on the 2500.  It only comes with 3.42 gears

What year is your RAM @spikew919?

Edited by bamaboy

@bamaboy mine is a 2015 and had 3.42's but there were ones with 3.73's out there. My 2015 3500 srw had 3.73's but after 7 trips to service in 5 months with same pop in steering column, that dealerships mechanic being hard headed and not replacing column,  dodge eat that megacab longhorn, and traded me even on this one. They eat 27,000 miles and tires wore slam out.  How is that for QC @nyryan2001 ?

And my mothers 2500 is a 2014 mega cab with 3.73's.  

Are you sure they don't offer that ratio? Or dealers just don't stock them that way. 

Was told that about 4.10 with Manual Tranny in 99, but I ordered 3 quad cab duallies  that day and they put the 4.10's in them ????

29 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

@bamaboy mine is a 2015 and had 3.42's but there were ones with 3.73's out there. My 2015 3500 srw had 3.73's but after 7 trips to service in 5 months with same pop in steering column, that dealerships mechanic being hard headed and not replacing column,  dodge eat that megacab longhorn, and traded me even on this one. They eat 27,000 miles and tires wore slam out.  How is that for QC @nyryan2001 ?

And my mothers 2500 is a 2014 mega cab with 3.73's.  

Are you sure they don't offer that ratio? Or dealers just don't stock them that way. 

Was told that about 4.10 with Manual Tranny in 99, but I ordered 3 quad cab duallies  that day and they put the 4.10's in them ????

I'm sure 

you can't even build one on the website with 3.73

26 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I'm sure 

you can't even build one on the website with 3.73

That's crazy, be worth a call to dealer.  Bet they will order whatever you want in it. 

54 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

That's crazy, be worth a call to dealer.  Bet they will order whatever you want in it. 

LOL.  I'm telling you buddy.  They don't even make one in 3.7 gears.  Trust me...I checked

28 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

LOL.  I'm telling you buddy.  They don't even make one in 3.7 gears.  Trust me...I checked

You can get 3.73 in a 5.7 or 6.4L 2500, just can't get it with the diesel

3 hours ago, bamaboy said:

This truck don't exist, but went to dealer, and waited over a month. Back in 2008, and here it is still. What we haul our fifth wheel toy hauler with ? Not a great pic but that's a mega cab with long 8' bed 

IMG_4109.jpg

Edited by spikew919

nyryan 800 is nice but not enough.  I like hp and tq tho.  my TA has 582 cid BBC 779hp and 730 ft lbs weighs about 3200 lbs.  

Spike, I am going to delete my biatch (2013 Ram 69rfe 800 ft lbs) who did you use with the efi live?  only had the truck for a month and am researching.  would prolly do the delete myself

20 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

nyryan 800 is nice but not enough.  I like hp and tq tho.  my TA has 582 cid BBC 779hp and 730 ft lbs weighs about 3200 lbs.  

Spike, I am going to delete my biatch (2013 Ram 69rfe 800 ft lbs) who did you use with the efi live?  only had the truck for a month and am researching.  would prolly do the delete myself

Did delete myself. Put 5" full stainless afe exhaust. Turbo back. Already had the efi live that I tuned my Duramax with. So I upgraded it to do cummins also. And used HPP to do tuning. He is really good and can help your shift points.  And added a csp 4 switch. Only sucky part is you have to by a bully dog gt and unlock cable to unlock ecm. But well worth it to me in the long run. Gained literally 3 mpg highway. From 21.5 stock to 24.5 now ?? Figured with pen at fuel pump. My favorite is I have a 90 gallon tank in need of my truck plumbed in so I can go over 2000 miles without stopping to fill up. Wife hates that ??

6 hours ago, bamaboy said:

You got me to thinking about my moms mega cab, so I just went and checked, my dad had the dealer swap the gears, was not from factory like I thought. has 3.73 gears. It has 5th wheel prep package but they have never pulled anything more than a tongue pull trailer with it.  

I actually have a set of 3.73 gears that will fit the rear that come out of my Duramax when I changed out to 4.56 gears. The rears will work but don't think the front will in the rams.  

Just so things are clear with anyone reading this thread:

ANY 2013+ 2500 or 3500 Ram SRW with a Cummins comes with 3.42 axle ratio

the 3500 DRW can be ordered with 3.43, 3.73 or 4.10

can only get the Aisin transmission in the 3500

I really wanted a 2500 for the coil rear suspension, but I will never own a 68RFE transmission. So, I picked up a 2015 3500 SRW 4x4 with an Aisin and factory air bags. Rides good unloaded and auto levels when hooked to a trailer/boat. 

8 hours ago, spikew919 said:

This truck don't exist, but went to dealer, and waited over a month. Back in 2008, and here it is still. What we haul our fifth wheel toy hauler with ? Not a great pic but that's a mega cab with long 8' bed 

IMG_4109.jpg

Who did the long bed conversion?

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

I wish I could put the new Duramax/Allison in a RAM 2500 from the factory.  3.73 gears.  Best of both worlds!

Lots of folks would argue with you on that one.  I'd take a Cummins/Aisin over a Duramax/Ally any day of the week.

With a 6.7/68 combo 3.73 and 35's are about perfect. There's lots of parts/programming for the 68, not so much for the 69. Have a revmax sig 550 68 in my 08 and it's bad a$$.

So back to the 6.4.

other than terrible gas mileage (Fuelly reports 11-14 avg mpg) which I believe is reasonable (5.7 Tundra is 13-15)..... do folks trust this engine/tranny to go 200k+ miles trouble free?

18 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

So back to the 6.4.

other than terrible gas mileage (Fuelly reports 11-14 avg mpg) which I believe is reasonable (5.7 Tundra is 13-15)..... do folks trust this engine/tranny to go 200k+ miles trouble free?

I would have no reservations.  

But I also put a much higher premium on enjoying the truck, features, interior, fit, and looks than pure longevity.  After doing both, I'll gladly trade a few thousand in repairs in exchange for driving something I like over a tank that I hate.  

9 hours ago, RyanB said:

Lots of folks would argue with you on that one.  I'd take a Cummins/Aisin over a Duramax/Ally any day of the week.

KS conversion out of west Texas. Really good guy  named cadel, back in 08 he was one of the Only ones doing it that dodge would still warranty frame and everything ??

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

In terms of the 2500, that engine/tranny combo isn't available but it should be.

Leave me alone and let me make my frankentruck in peace!

22 hours ago, RyanB said:

Except the small business owners in the oilfield that consistently pull 20k+ loads daily, we have three different contractors at our company that have tried the big three. None of them use the Ram anymore.

46 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

Except the small business owners in the oilfield that consistently pull 20k+ loads daily, we have three different contractors at our company that have tried the big three. None of them use the Ram anymore.

Yea, pretty sure I've read this at some point on every forum I've ever been a part of about each of the big three...

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

Yea, pretty sure I've read this at some point on every forum I've ever been a part of about each of the big three...

Uncle Rick Loves Ford owners.  Jussayin

9 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Elaborate.... why not?  And which do they go with now?