Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram 6.4

Falko

I've read the Ram 2500 is a bit of a harsh ride. The older ones did have a wandering issue when driving but they have that worked out now I hear. I'd like to drive one, I really like the Rams. I'll probably get a 1500 as my next truck once baseball subsides and the utility of the Avy is no longer needed. There's a lot about this truck that I am not caring for which I've experienced in previous GM's. But the utility of the body is second to none for what I need right now. I really wanted the 2500 6.4 but in all honesty can't justify the poor mileage for all the more truck I need.

17 minutes ago, Falko said:

I've read the Ram 2500 is a bit of a harsh ride. The older ones did have a wandering issue when driving but they have that worked out now I hear. I'd like to drive one, I really like the Rams. I'll probably get a 1500 as my next truck once baseball subsides and the utility of the Avy is no longer needed. There's a lot about this truck that I am not caring for which I've experienced in previous GM's. But the utility of the body is second to none for what I need right now. I really wanted the 2500 6.4 but in all honesty can't justify the poor mileage for all the more truck I need.

Harsh ride? - the current 2014 and up coil sprung version?

On 5/9/2017 at 8:47 PM, Murphy8166 said:

Within 72 hours I drove a Ram 2500 MegaCab, F250 Lariat and Chevy LTZ...  Diesels

Within the first 30 seconds of driving the F250 which was an hour after driving them Ram - I leaned over to my wife and said - I'll go truckless before I buy a Dodge Pickup...

Thought the Chevy and Ford were vert comparable except Ford has about 2.5" more room in the back...

All three trucks were from $56,500 to $57,500

That's exactly the same thing I said to my wife about Ford. 

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Harsh ride? - the current 2014 and up coil sprung version?

Yes. Of course very subjective and not my personal view as I haven't had a chance to drive one. You have to always weigh the pre-conceived winner scenario playing into the butt dyno equation. You would think with the ability to have variable dampening with the coil springs that the ride would be pretty decent.

27 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I've driven all 3.  The 2017 F250, 2017 RAM 2500, and 2017 Chevy Silverado 2500.  

The ram was probably the smoothest ride IMO.  Also has a really nice interior.

However, the power of the new Duramax and to a lesser extent the power stroke can't be ignored.  They are straight beast mode.  

Combination of power, looks and the right deal are putting me back in a Chevy.  Going to pick up later today.  Will post pics.  I just realized this is the first brand new vehicle I've bought for myself.  

I think if I were buying a diesel I'd do the same thing.  I much prefer the Ram to any other choice in a gas engine, but the dmax is just so quiet.  Looks wise I'd take a GMC over the chev, but looks are a subjective thing.

38 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I've driven all 3.  The 2017 F250, 2017 RAM 2500, and 2017 Chevy Silverado 2500.  

The ram was probably the smoothest ride IMO.  Also has a really nice interior.

However, the power of the new Duramax and to a lesser extent the power stroke can't be ignored.  They are straight beast mode.  

Combination of power, looks and the right deal are putting me back in a Chevy.  Going to pick up later today.  Will post pics.  I just realized this is the first brand new vehicle I've bought for myself.  

I am a MOPAR fan, but I think in a 2500, I the Chevy may be the best option.  Without the HO engine and Aisin transmission, the 2500 RAM gives up a lot of power to the other two.

That said, I think all of the Big 3 make a very good truck, wether it is in 150/1500 flavor or the HD variety.  Really isn't a bad choice out there.

Edited by RyanB
  • Like 1

I have a '16 GMC DMax, and I love the truck: very, very quiet (especially after I matted the doors and upgraded the stereo) and plenty of power.  I would suspect the upgraded '17 is a freaking beast.  Congrats!

Edited by jjackkrash

OKay so I bailed on the Chevy.  I got cold feet and I really wanted the midnight edition. 

I'm all over the map now.  I went and drove the RAM again and I can't get over how smooth it is compared to the Chevy with the off road package.  It rides like a 1/2 ton. 

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

OKay so I bailed on the Chevy.  I got cold feet and I really wanted the midnight edition. 

I'm all over the map now.  I went and drove the RAM again and I can't get over how smooth it is compared to the Chevy with the off road package.  It rides like a 1/2 ton. 

A Ram 1/2 ton rides like a car.  Never driven a 2500, does it ride like a ram 1500 or a Chevy 1500.

Am I the only one who finds fords seats very uncomfortable? They just seem so wide and work truckish.     I find the Chevy to be one of the most comfortable trucks out there. 

3 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Am I the only one who finds fords seats very uncomfortable? They just seem so wide and work truckish.     I find the Chevy to be one of the most comfortable trucks out there. 

Mine are fine.  They are just as comfortable as both my prior Yukon Denali's were, maybe slightly more because Ford's are more adjustable and you can get them were you want them.  

My wife said the same thing when I first got the Ford, but once she got them adjusted she loves them.  My BMW 550 was the same way.  A lot of adjustment options and it took some time to get them perfect.  Thank god for memory with the seats.

17 hours ago, oldjeep said:

A Ram 1/2 ton rides like a car.  Never driven a 2500, does it ride like a ram 1500 or a Chevy 1500.

If you blindfolded me and put me in my RAM 1500 with coils and the RAM 2500 with coils, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference

15 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Is the Ram 2500 coil springs also?

yes, it is. 

The offroad package on the 2500 comes with bilstein shocks that make it even better.  Given the fact that this is my daily driver too, I leaning back towards RAM.  FIRST WORLDS!!!

bama, I don't know for sure that both are still offerred but there is a high output and a low output version of the cummins.  get rambox, haha.  They're all nice, but I must say I've now put 100k on 2 latest gen dodges (1500s) and nary a hiccup that I can recall.  Old school POC dodge reputation is long over.  

Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

bama, I don't know for sure that both are still offerred but there is a high output and a low output version of the cummins.  get rambox, haha.  They're all nice, but I must say I've now put 100k on 2 latest gen dodges (1500s) and nary a hiccup that I can recall.  Old school POC dodge reputation is long over.  

@85 Barefoot, my understand is there are 3 versions of the Cummins.  The LO is an option on the manual transmission Cummins, then the HO is an option on the 3500 only.  

The middle output is the 800 torque or so that 99% of the RAMs have BICBW

I had some electrical gremlins in my 1500 that were fixed under warranty.  Mechanically?  flawless

I have had all three, the powerstroke, the Duramax/Allison combo, and the rams. Of the three ram,and that sweet Allison tranny are only options. Ford is out, imo fords engineers tend to wayyy over think and make things complex that should not be that way.  If you go ram get the air ride rear suspension. You will never look back, I was skeptical when I first got mine, but driving my dads 2014 with coils and my 2015 with air suspension. Mine definitely had the pusher rode, and also can put trailer jack down on trailer and press u button to deflate and comes off ball and drive away. Then when back back to trailer with deflated. Just press and Airs back up and hooked up with almost no turning handle on trailer jack.  And I also had 2015 longhorn megacab 3500 single rear wheel, do not do that if it has leaf suspension. Harsher ride than my older duallies had. 

Love the Duramax Allison combo. But the cummins is getting better mileage and I love the lower end power. Duramax had to wound out pretty good to get a big load to moving. 

And ask service techs at all dealers or one that sales all 3 brands. Likely to tell you they have never replaced a cummins engine,  But have replaced many of the other 2 brands. 

Just my .02. Happy hunting 

Edited by spikew919
8 hours ago, bamaboy said:

@85 Barefoot, my understand is there are 3 versions of the Cummins.  The LO is an option on the manual transmission Cummins, then the HO is an option on the 3500 only.  

The middle output is the 800 torque or so that 99% of the RAMs have BICBW

I had some electrical gremlins in my 1500 that were fixed under warranty.  Mechanically?  flawless

To get the HO version of the Cummins, you are correct in that you need to go 3500.  And the upgraded Aisin transmission. 

I don't know what the breakdown is, but I do know that a large % of the 3500s have the upgrade.  I am happy with my 2012 3500 with the 68rfe transmission, but if I were buying today, I would go 3500 HO.

Edited by RyanB
23 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

385/865 for the 3500

370/800 for the 2500

which tranny is the Allison?   AISIN for a 2695$ up charge ?

Can't get an Allison in a dodge.  You can switch it out pretty easily yourself tho ??