Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Zealand 22VLX arrives and on the water

Fman

He said it felt like the gate was not engaging enough, wave was washy and not clean, this is why we are going down the road of the gates possible not extending outward to full extension.  Hopefully I can get someone to do a quick measurement of how far they should be extending outward.

Fman, I'm being serious about this...was he surfing the correct side?  We all know more than a few people whose impression is that you surf on the gated side.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

If I remember right the gates only open 22 degrees. I can't get to my storage until next week but if you have not got the measurements by then, I will run out there and get them for you.

Just to piggy back on others comments about the pics, the gates look like they are opening to me.

His setup was the rear wakemaker bags 100% full (950 lbs), full hard tanks, wedge 4 clicks up 10.8-11.2 mph.  He just felt like the boat was not feeling the same when gate was deployed with his 2013 vlx.  He did mention the wakeboard wake was money.  I am confident we will get the bugs ironed out for him, I always thought the surf wake was great on this boat, but I ran rear bags about 70% (like vince) and had a couple people sit in the bow.  I also explained to him the new pw2 foil is larger and more aggressive than the older power wedge, putting it at the 4 setting is super aggressive.

First thing is to confirm the gates are actually fully extending out and they are calibrated properly.

Could he see without standing with that setup?  Holy smokes that sounds arse heavy.

(also glad to hear that others also run "light" in the rear to get a good wave... IMHO the wakemakers bags are too big unless you are completely maxing out your bow weight)

8 minutes ago, Fman said:

His setup was the rear wakemaker bags 100% full (950 lbs), full hard tanks, wedge 4 clicks up 10.8-11.2 mph.  He just felt like the boat was not feeling the same when gate was deployed with his 2013 vlx.  He did mention the wakeboard wake was money.  I am confident we will get the bugs ironed out for him, I always thought the surf wake was great on this boat, but I ran rear bags about 70% (like vince) and had a couple people sit in the bow.  I also explained to him the new pw2 foil is larger and more aggressive than the older power wedge, putting it at the 4 setting is super aggressive.

First thing is to confirm the gates are actually fully extending out and they are calibrated properly.

IMG_0200_zpsp3ycgnc7.jpg

IMG_0202_zps1xhnrx70.jpg

Here you go, measurement from end of gate to swim platform is 16".  Looks normal to me from the pics.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Could he see without standing with that setup?  Holy smokes that sounds arse heavy.

(also glad to hear that others also run "light" in the rear to get a good wave... IMHO the wakemakers bags are too big unless you are completely maxing out your bow weight)

Yeah I did mention if you run those rear bags max full you definitely need the 700lb bow bag filled to the brim.  My 2013 he purchased only had the 600 lb sumo bags, so he was used to filling up those bags max full, the WM bags are a different animal.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, t a said:

IMG_0200_zpsp3ycgnc7.jpg

IMG_0202_zps1xhnrx70.jpg

Here you go, measurement from end of gate to swim platform is 16".  Looks normal to me from the pics.

Thanks dude I appreciate it, will email them these pics to him right now :-)

8 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

This x 100...

The first time I demo'd a 22 VLX it was with lots of rear weight, wedge, etc. and no bow weight.  it was no bueno.  And as Shawn says, the bow rise was redic. 

There's a reason I run a bow triangle in my LSV's (although the need is less as the boat gets longer).

• Like 2

Yep after reviewing the pics the gates look fine to me as well.  I believe it was simply incorrect ballast and wedge configuration.  I am surprised the boat would even reach 11.2 with that much transom weight.  I do believe he was not aware of the extra capacity of the wake maker bags in comparison the 600 sumos, in addition to the larger pw2.

I have emailed him a better recipe, will report back.  Thx for all the input, definitely want him to be 100% satisfied with the boat.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
On 12/6/2016 at 5:55 PM, bamaboy said:

I sold my boat to some dude name Shawn a couple years back.  Guy would call me like every day.  I finally had to tell him....Listen bro, I'm not interested!

So lemme get this straight... Shawndoggy bought not one but TWO boats from TMC members?? :fingerwag:

ahopkins22LSV
On 12/6/2016 at 3:19 PM, Fman said:

Yep after reviewing the pics the gates look fine to me as well.  I believe it was simply incorrect ballast and wedge configuration.  I am surprised the boat would even reach 11.2 with that much transom weight.  I do believe he was not aware of the extra capacity of the wake maker bags in comparison the 600 sumos, in addition to the larger pw2.

I have emailed him a better recipe, will report back.  Thx for all the input, definitely want him to be 100% satisfied with the boat.

Good to hear the gates are working correctly and it was my suspicion that he was just too heavy in the rear. Let us know how it worked out!