Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 G23 vs. 2017 24MXZ

Jennifer

6 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

This is not some new Centurion strategy guys.  This has been their strategy for YEARS.  And dare I say, they've been the foremost surfboats out there for that entire time period.  It's just an exposure thing now.  Centurion has had healthy growth for a while, it's not just the Ris.  

Were they really the best surf boats out there before the Ris?  I have admittedly never surfed one but I recall reading repeated mixed reviews of prior models.  

The Ris seem to be the first models that have unanimously blown riders away.  BICBW...

• Like 3

Baws characterizes things pretty accurately   

All my point was was that this surf-centric focus is nothing new from centurion, nor that their waves were arguably always the best, but that was about it.  

On 12/2/2016 at 1:33 PM, shawndoggy said:

Hahaha back in the day @bamabonners accused me of being an MB plant (after having purchased a 'bu and put 160 hours on it.... all part of my elaborate plan of infiltration!).

What are you, an elephant or something?!  hell of a memory you have there @shawndoggy  LOL!!  I just didn't know you then...

3 hours ago, wheelman said:

I wouldn't say it's one dimensional however it definitely is marketed for surfing. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2T1vryjt0U

not a bad wakeboard review. 

Wheelman, please watch every waterski or wakeboard mag review of every boat and provide a link that was any less glowing than that.  

Bonner knows not to bite the hands that feed it.  You must not have been around when correct craft pulled out of the boat tests.  

Have you ever wakeboarded a centurion?  

17 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Wheelman, please watch every waterski or wakeboard mag review of every boat and provide a link that was any less glowing than that.  

Bonner knows not to bite the hands that feed it.  You must not have been around when correct craft pulled out of the boat tests.  

Have you ever wakeboarded a centurion?  

Yes I've wakeboarded behind a centurion and pulled many pros behind one also. I have no illusion that a review is biased. All I was trying to show is that it is rideable and with the cats and higher speeds you can get the wake to clean up.  It is definitely not a boat for a beginner to wakeboard behind and nowhere near on par of many other wakeboard wakes. 

Great, it's "rideable".  Ironically, the exact same word I would have used for centurion wakeboard wakes. 

...but not one dimensional?  What other dimension does it so well in your opinion?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

But... now can it pull tubes from the tower like a G? ... More fun roped up to a tower! I must say I'm jealous of the G's  tower ability to do this..  the kids behind the G's get more air ! Haha

5 hours ago, DarkSide said:

One more observation,  keep in mind there are people willing to pay this same money for a cobalt because it says "SURF" on the side.

im actually surprised you didnt go this route and become the first to properly ballast one up!

Make no mistake i am still intreagued by a 28-30'er.  I think there are so many possibilities there.   However i am ready for hopefully a very active surf season with minimal down time.  I am not saying trouble free, as that is unrealistic, but minimal down time.  The 1:1 ratio of lake days to shop days does not work.  I suspect adding a few thousand pounds to a cobalt/chappie would stress things that have never been stressed.

To clarify one thing posted earlier on this thread PNP bags are not included in the approved boat payload. If your boat has a 2200 lb payload and you have two 800lb PNP bags in the back your legal load is 600lbs.

1 hour ago, Sailvi767 said:

To clarify one thing posted earlier on this thread PNP bags are not included in the approved boat payload. If your boat has a 2200 lb payload and you have two 800lb PNP bags in the back your legal load is 600lbs.

Bingo!  You got it!  

This is true for boats that do not have bags shipped from the factory.  

Here is where it gets confusing, PNP is an option, but that option includes PLUMBING ONLY!  So any bag would count against your rating. 

Some boats have PNP options, where bags are included, in these the bags DO NOT count against your weight limits.

17 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I always viewed this plate as a guideline rather than anactual rule . 

It is a guideline because it isn't required in boat 20' or greater.  NMMA is just some non-gov't association that I can't for the life of me figure out why boat builders even care about being a part of.  I've never heard a boat owner care whether their boat had a NMMA plate on it or not.

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

It is a guideline because it isn't required in boat 20' or greater.  NMMA is just some non-gov't association that I can't for the life of me figure out why boat builders even care about being a part of.  I've never heard a boat owner care whether their boat had a NMMA plate on it or not.

Anyone ever notice that when you buy a new boat there is a fee to NMMA?

My last boat had an 82 dollar charge to "NMMA grow boating surcharge".  So we are the ones paying for it....

• Like 2

It is a self imposed guidline, not a "legal" issue.  The thing is its also basically completely arbitrary, the certification is based on what, the manufacturer submits for Certification.  

Example Chappie ssi 277 is just a little bigger than 25LSV  (277 swim platform counts in length)  and it is Yaght certified, so no weight limitations!    

So the only reason BU has a low limit is BU submits for lower limits.  

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

Anyone ever notice that when you buy a new boat there is a fee to NMMA?

My last boat had an 82 dollar charge to "NMMA grow boating surcharge".  So we are the ones paying for it....

A friend told me u can argue and opt out of the national go boating fund.. doubt the nmma one though