Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 G23 vs. 2017 24MXZ

Jennifer

Just now, Fman said:

If someone who has 5000 lbs of ballast in there boat sinks it and has placard of 2300 lbs max stamped on it would insurance co. even care? Or investigate the boat being over loaded?

That is an incredibly VALID point.  No idea, i know it is a way to exempt claims.  opening the abuse clause.

Just now, DarkSide said:

That is an incredibly VALID point.  No idea, i know it is a way to exempt claims.  opening the abuse clause.

Another reason to use water ballast instead of lead. Just hit drain while she's sinking before u jump ship or unscrew a ballast bag plug! Then no way to prove haha

11 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Another reason to use water ballast instead of lead. Just hit drain while she's sinking before u jump ship or unscrew a ballast bag plug! Then no way to prove haha

The ballast would probably fill up through the vent lines anyways. 

8 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Fastsigns.com the cheaper way to increase capacity!

Oh this is going to be $20 well spent. ... i will be ordering one for galactus... 

Capacity 18 passengers/ 4 riders

Weight:  1000 pounds above current.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

can't pump out ramfill

• Like 2

I pulled most of my warning stickers from my boat. I left the ones in in the lockers only because they say 75 pounds max. They make me lugh a little every time I see them. I want to draw a 0 at the end but just haven't done it yet.  

Guys were asking if you sunk your own boat with too much ballast and you exceeded the weights on your maximum capacities sticker would insurance deny the claim.  

Someone said remove the sticker.

I don't think the insurance cares of the sticker  is there or not.  I think they can look up the values.  However it would be tough to prove that someone over did it with water ballast.

Twenty years  ago, I was in a situation that required contacting the Coast Guard regarding the horsepower rating on the sticker.  They said that it was "just a recommendation" and that was it.  A bad insurance company would most certainly try to not pay if they could show the boat was overweight.

3 minutes ago, nlouthan said:

Twenty years  ago, I was in a situation that required contacting the Coast Guard regarding the horsepower rating on the sticker.  They said that it was "just a recommendation" and that was it.  A bad insurance company would most certainly try to not pay if they could show the boat was overweight.

I think most insurance companies good or bad might be reluctant to pay a claim if they felt the cause of the damage or sinking was the boat being well over the recommended weight. 

Pretty sure it all boils down to intent....anything unintentional is labeled an ACCIDENT, and that's why we have insurance, right folks?

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 3
26 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Hello! @NWBUand @IXFE and @DarkSide Wow!! What a robust discussion this has been!!  Y'all have been busy!!  

Well, I am happy to report we did surf last week.  Thanks for the unanimous recommendation!!!  It was a sunny day, Water and air temp were both about 64 degrees and with dry suits it was very pleasant, I would not hesitate to do it again!!  The husband and I loved surfing behind both boats.  The MXZ wave is as good as it looks!!!  It did not make our decision any easier.  Super long, nice and tall, more versatile settings, maybe not as firm but plenty of fun regardless.  And the G23 did not set itself apart as much as we expected it would or should for the price difference but it sure is a classy boat, still favor the storage in it.  

But... You could say we are leaning toward the MXZ... we really could use the room.  However, the rise of the bow when surfing would require me to have the driver seat nearly all the way up to see, and I'm not necessarily short for a woman at 5'6.  This is definitely not an issue we noticed when driving the G23.  Thoughts?  

As it stands we are waiting to check one final thing before a decision and that's to make sure a 24 ft MXZ would fit in our boat lift.  We are putting in a new lift regardless but the size of the slip with the new lift may limit us.  We feel confident it would but won't hurt to make sure!  

One final reason we are leaning toward the MXZ is the Waterski America crew, they have been very good to us in the 3 years we have had our Axis.  I have no doubt Buxton would be good too, everyone there has been very nice, professional, and made great efforts to offer a competitive price - but we may be a little partial to our friends at WSA.   

I'll be sure to let you know what the final decision is!  

SHE'S ALIVE!!

Jennifer, nice work on the demos!  It never fails.  Get these boats on the water and all the internet banter fades to the background.  Like you, I have demo'd both of these boats, and I would agree with your assessment... the G is in it's own class on the inside, and that's saying something because the new MXZ sure is nice inside too.  As far as bow rise, that's typical for Malibu / Axis... let me guess, you had PnP filled and running heavy with the wedge and no extra bow ballast, right?  That's a recipe for bow rise in any boat, including a 24' pickle fork.  On the other hand, the G23 has no wedge and doesn't require PnP bags in the lockers.  The more weight you add to the back of the G23, the WORSE the surf wave gets.  Hard to believe, but it's true.  So the G surfs with the nose down, which is nice.  

I'm glad you mentioned dealer... probably the most important (and overlooked) "feature" of any boat.  

Tough to decide.  But it's like I always say, "buy the one that you can't stop thinking about."  

Thanks for coming back and updating us.  I haven't ridden in/behind either of the boats you are considering, so I won't even try to offer help there.

What I will say is that the dealer makes a HUGE difference.  My '14 Malibu has spent more time back in the shop than I would like.  The only reason that I haven't traded out is because I really like the boat, but more importantly, my dealer has done a GREAT job of taking care of me.  Our season is short.  When something brakes, it is nice to know my guys will do everything they can to get me back on the water without missing a weekend.  Can't really over state the importance of that.

Thanks for coming back and updating us! I suspect the dealer had the Malibu set up with PNP bags in the rear lockers to get the wave you mention. The visibility over the nose of the boat becomes a big issue to the point of being borderline unsafe in several Malibu models. You have to add a bow bag to bring the nose down a bit. The problem there is you lose the bow seating and you have already lost the stern storage. My wife loved the G series complete lack of bow rise and massive storage. The question becomes is it worth the price difference. 

A mention on extra weight in the G. The wave gets better as you add weight to an extent. Once you sink the NSS tabs it then starts to get worse. The same thing happens if you sink the surfgates in a Malibu. The difference is the G series starts out with more ballast so that happens sooner. You can put a couple of bags in the back on the G. If you have a bunch of people you will find you don't want to fill them all the way.

The Malibu boat has in my mind a significant advantage stock over the G in that the engine is closed cooling. The G is raw water which surprised me. If you will ever be in brackish water it's a consideration.

2 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

The Malibu boat has in my mind a significant advantage stock over the G in that the engine is closed cooling. The G is raw water which surprised me. If you will ever be in brackish water it's a consideration.

The H5/H6 are both made from aluminum block, heads, etc. This allows open cooling.  However the heater will work WAY better on closed cooling.

4 hours ago, DarkSide said:

The H5/H6 are both made from aluminum block, heads, etc. This allows open cooling.  However the heater will work WAY better on closed cooling.

My G23 with the H6 seems to have a perfectly functioning heater.  Even at idle speeds.  It seems not worse than the ZR450 I had before it which had partial closed cooling.   It is as good as any heater in any boat I have owned.  I had to do the heater hose reroute mod to my 2006 Malibu so it would stay warm when idling.