Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Fman LSV build - Larson Marine

Fman

2 hours ago, wbama387 said:

Do you know where the speaker wires can be found when they come out of the tower? I am working on my system now and could now find them near the amp board.

Thanks.

My tower speaker wires were located at the base of the tower tucked up in the gunwale.  They were red and black.  The cabin speaker wire was run all the way to the amp rack area of observers compartment.

On 03/28/2017 at 10:41 AM, Chattwake said:

Fman, your boat is awesome looking!  Love the 23.

I've got a 17 23 LSV on order.  Spray date April 27.  Can't wait to get it!

@ChattwakeLooking forward to seeing the pics!  are you doing your own stereo system or going with factory WS setup?

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

I've used them ever since, and they actually make life easier, provided you successfully align the bolts to the holes on the amp board (hint: make the holes plenty big).  

It wasn't what I was planning on doing when I crawled under there, but I held the amp board in place and drilled through the board into the mounting ribs.  Moved the board out of the way and then widened the holes on the amp board and put the anchor bolts in. Worked great.  But holding it up while drilling was a trick to not move it.  Next time I'll do one hole at a time.  I also built some standoffs out of 1" starboard I had laying around so that the amp board wouldn't be compressing assorted cables and wires against the ribs.  I put the standoffs in places where they would align with the ribs.

44 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Like the assorted cables and wires behind my factory board??  Holy rats nest!  Most if it was well labeled though   

32286477-9AB2-4563-8DAC-1F3022DB6C3C_zps

Wow that is a lot of craziness going on there.  One wire at a time method!  what is your master stereo plan?

Edited by Fman

All I am doing is the new sub box and adding a WS420.  I got the 420 all wired and running last weekend (and got that amp rack remounted).  Hope to tackle the sub box this weekend now that I see how you made it fit. 

6 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

All I am doing is the new sub box and adding a WS420.  I got the 420 all wired and running last weekend (and got that amp rack remounted).  Hope to tackle the sub box this weekend now that I see how you made it fit. 

So you are bailing out on the 7" touch screen stereo controls?  still using the ws digital amps?

Edited by Fman

There is something to say about simplicity with an old fashioned eq.  I am a fan of them and how well they work.  And at least you can adjust your amps easily.  Call me old school but I like being able to tune the amp or adjust gains with a small screwdriver.  These new digital pre-set amps don't fit my style.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Fman said:

@ChattwakeLooking forward to seeing the pics!  are you doing your own stereo system or going with factory WS setup?

I am doing the full factory WS system this year. 

I'm slammed at work so I don't know how much time I'd have to install my own components this year.  I do wish I could get Rev10's instead of Rev8's.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:46 AM, IXFE said:

Yes!  I have used this method on my last two builds.  On my first build I used screws and didn't realize that a couple of them hadn't gone deep enough into the blocks.  About halfway through the season I found my amp board had fallen off and slid down to the bottom of the observer's compartment.  @shawndoggy may even recall a frantic phone call me from that night! He scolded me for not using hanger bolts on that first build.  I've used them ever since, and they actually make life easier, provided you successfully align the bolts to the holes on the amp board (hint: make the holes plenty big).  

7782E067-EF42-40FF-A724-AACEB7DC274D_zps

Anyone know the name of these?  Been searching online for them and coming up empty -- would much rather have them sent to my door than drive around town trying to find some SS ones.

5 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

Anyone know the name of these?  Been searching online for them and coming up empty -- would much rather have them sent to my door than drive around town trying to find some SS ones.

Hanger bolts.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:49 PM, Fman said:

Thanks for all the great feedback on our LSV, I am really excited about this boat!  I finished the stereo today so she is officially done!  The garage test is a 10+ I REALLY like the way these EXILE Surf 9's are sounding with the current wiring and power configuration.  I will need some real world water time behind the boat to get a full taste of them.  My son is 14 and he gave me the thumbs up today! :) The 12" sub in the Sonic box is pounding and sounding great...  that is a great box for this sub!  I have attached some pics of my recent progress.  I was also able to get the windows tinted 18%, if you live in the Sacramento area Rick at Island Glass is awesome, he has a mobile service at a reasonable price and uses a high end carbon tint.  His number is 530-321-3611.

I did use trex 2x4's for my base along with a rubber gator grip-ish material I had leftover from years ago, it worked great on the bottom of the trex base.  There is plenty of room even with a heater to fit the Sonic box, I did move the kick panel outward 3-4" which required trimming the carpet and there is plenty of leg room even with the kick panel moved out.  I placed the sub box to give me enough room on each side for 3 heater pull outs.  I was also able to match the Malibu power button for my on/off stereo which I think turned out good (thanks Shawn for the link).

And a big thanks to @Shawndoggy, @IXFEBrian, and Bill at Exile for helping me on some questions.  After two years I needed a little bit of a refresher and these guys are always a great resource.:thumbup:

20170328_092858_zps1h4eslew.jpg

20170328_092915_zps1m8sre2b.jpg

20170328_100453_zpschgoo7sx.jpg

20170328_203226_zpsqgjpzppt.jpg

20170328_131801_zpstmwieucm.jpg

20170328_162751_zpszqtnqccq.jpg

20170328_163804_zpsggpndlzu.jpg

20170328_161958_zpsnqspigqm.jpg

Did you put any insulation inside the box? Not sure if it's required but I know some boxes come with a white insulation. 

15 minutes ago, wbama387 said:

Did you put any insulation inside the box? Not sure if it's required but I know some boxes come with a white insulation. 

No insulation.  I have no idea what that would do using it or how it would change the performance.  Maybe someone with more knowledge could explain what the insulation would do.

I will say this box, Javelin amp and sub combo sound great, it hits hard and also sounds clean.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
Just now, Fman said:

No insulation.  I have no idea what that would do using it or how it would change the peformance.  I will say this box, Javelin amp and sub combo sound great, it hits hard and also sounds clean.

Yeah I am not sure what it is for either, that's why I thought I would ask. I just received the same box and will be putting my XS-12 in it powered by a SD6. 

Your system looks like it turned out perfect! I like how you moved the two heater outlets. 

Thank you it was a fun install.

You should be pleased with the Sonic 12 box, the Javelin sends 800watts @ 2 ohms to the sub.  I am not up to speed on Wetsounds components but I am sure it's going to be a great setup for you.

4 hours ago, Fffrank said:

I got mine at bolt depot.com 

12 hours ago, Fman said:

G4 is officially pimped, quad PTMs installed and ready to go!:thumbup:20170331_192846_zpsaur8voby.jpg?w=480&h=

You can store enough gear for a small army there, your overall set up really looks good.  Have you dropped her on Folsom yet?

8 hours ago, Fman said:

We were going to go yesterday but the 25 mph winds were brutal....so hopefully next week :)

I would hold off on folsom. Debris is as bad as I have seen it in 20+ years. The whole lake. 

Yeah I heard it is a mess...are they using clean up crews for the debris?  I have a spring ride trip planned for early May with friends coming from out of state.  Hope they get it cleaned up by then.

Edited by Fman

Article I saw said they prolly won't start til June when it's full. Then they'll use barges and tug boats to pull nets aroundthe piles and round up all the driftwood. I guess it's easier to round it up when it's floating rather than using a tractor to pick it up from the shore. 

WAwinegrapes
Just now, isellacuras said:

Article I saw said they prolly won't start til June when it's full. Then they'll use barges and tug boats to pull nets aroundthe piles and round up all the driftwood. I guess it's easier to round it up when it's floating rather than using a tractor to pick it up from the shore. 

Isn't Folsom State prison close by??  Make the convicts earn their keep!  Shaking the bush Boss!!  from Cool Hand Luke!

Edited by WAwinegrapes