Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Fman LSV build - Larson Marine

Fman

1 hour ago, Fman said:

Maybe someone can answer this question on the G4, does it come pre-wired for speakers?  I was told it should, I know the G3.5 with a stereo delete does not have pre wired speakers, only if you order a tower speaker package from Malibu.  I am guessing PTM pre-wires the G4 regardless.

Yes. G4 is prewired. But you will have trouble getting another run of wire up there like you've done on past builds. The speaker wire is in that thick black sheath on the port side.  The starboard side has the LED wires running up it. As you can see, there's no room to get another run of wire in there (note where the channel gets narrow), and I wasn't willing to cut that sheath open in hopes of getting more in there. Also notice the rubber collar at the bottom of the pic. The only way to get wire in there would be to cut that rubber collar.  Problem is that it's fused to the rubber cord running straight up to the top.  It's a pulley system designed to manage the movement of the speaker wire from as you raise and lower the tower.  I am telling you, the engineering inside this tower is CRAZY!!  I recommend you don't mess with it.

20150218_210115_zps7kzd5kzv.jpg

So instead of running more speaker wire, you need to pop the top of the tower off and change the wiring to serial (it's parallel from the factory).  Here are few pics of this on my 2015 (with factory Rev8's).  I did it again on my 2016 which was a stereo delete boat, but I didn't take pics (same wiring in the tower). 

20150218_220857_zpshk4b3xz4.jpg

20150218_221350_zpsmaxhicxg.jpg

2242_zpsu3nsfapb.jpg

@shawndoggywill remember that I called him both times for help. He provided the following diagram that you will surely remember. It's been posted more than once.  

2221_zps7ykkyp1k.jpg

If you do this with those xm30.2 amps & the Surf 9's, you will be VERY HAPPY with the sound.  It's midbass like I've never heard from a tower speaker.  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, IXFE said:

Yes. G4 is prewired. But you will have trouble getting another run of wire up there like you've done on past builds. The speaker wire is in that thick black sheath on the port side.  The starboard side has the LED wires running up it. As you can see, there's no room to get another run of wire in there (note where the channel gets narrow), and I wasn't willing to cut that sheath open in hopes of getting more in there. Also notice the rubber collar at the bottom of the pic. The only way to get wire in there would be to cut that rubber collar.  Problem is that it's fused to the rubber cord running straight up to the top.  It's a pulley system designed to manage the movement of the speaker wire from as you raise and lower the tower.  I am telling you, the engineering inside this tower is CRAZY!!  I recommend you don't mess with it.

20150218_210115_zps7kzd5kzv.jpg

So instead of running more speaker wire, you need to pop the top of the tower off and change the wiring to serial (it's parallel from the factory).  Here are few pics of this on my 2015 (with factory Rev8's).  I did it again on my 2016 which was a stereo delete boat, but I didn't take pics (same wiring in the tower). 

20150218_220857_zpshk4b3xz4.jpg

20150218_221350_zpsmaxhicxg.jpg

2242_zpsu3nsfapb.jpg

@shawndoggywill remember that I called him both times for help. He provided the following diagram that you will surely remember. It's been posted more than once.  

2221_zps7ykkyp1k.jpg

If you do this with those xm30.2 amps & the Surf 9's, you will be VERY HAPPY with the sound.  It's midbass like I've never heard from a tower speaker.  

Ah perfect, thanks for those pics!...that seems pretty do-able.... I have always been a little confused on the series and parallel difference but that diagram definitely helps clear things up :)

14 minutes ago, Fman said:

Ah perfect, thanks for those pics!...that seems pretty do-able.... I have always been a little confused on the series and parallel difference but that diagram definitely helps clear things up :)

One thing I forgot to mention.  You're gonna have to pull out A LOT of bolts to remove those top panels on the tower.  When you put them back in you are supposed to torque them to 30 lbs.  That's the PTM spec.  So be sure to have your torque wrench handy!

1 hour ago, Fman said:

A great morning today we picked up the LSV :thumbup: pics don't do it justice... A big THANK YOU to Craig, Derek, Mike, James and all the guys at Larson Marine in Rancho Cordova! super stoked with the G4 and PTM racks.  My second set are on back order but should be in next week... now it is time to get to work on the EXILE stereo install! It is going to be a fun week! :)

20170318_115458_zpssmgarpzn.jpg

20170318_104026_zps8hung6ng.jpg

20170318_104611_zpsgw7qt1wc.jpg

Another guy that still likes carpet. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Great looking boat congrats. Let me know what you think of the surf 9,s. I will be running the exact same tower set up and amps as you. 

Lol, carpet is coming out...will be adding the deckadence mat sometime this year. Carpet is definitely more user friendly on the body while installing a stereo.  I am also really impressed with the G4 tower, and the PTM racks are a nice combo punch.  Hopeful the G4 also performs well out on the water loaded with boards.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Love the boat, but am SO jealous of the shop!

No joke...no folding of the tower, makes packing up and heading out that much faster...

With Zeppelin cranking today I made some progress on the lsv today:).  Was able to wire tower to series, mount surf 9s, paint grilles satin black, mount and polarity test all cabin speakers.  The new clamping system on the Surf 9s are awesome, it takes about 5 seconds to readjust them with no tools required.  IXFE was correct there are a lot of bolts in that G4 tower.....but oh the engineering, amazing to see how PTM designed that tower!

20170320_151217_zps0irnoy8n.jpg?w=480&h=

20170320_151256_zpsjfa9w4ww.jpg?w=480&h=

20170320_111506_zpsywuxgh6b.jpg?w=480&h=

20170320_085043_zpsd1ct1vqz.jpg?w=480&h=

20170320_173619_zpswzs8rfsn.jpg?w=480&h=

20170320_173607_zpsbp8hrtpf.jpg?w=480&h=

20170320_173544_zpsrssqvkua.jpg?w=480&h=

20170320_103231_zpspo4c4zjk.jpg?w=480&h=

Edited by Fman

And for anyone interested here is the sub enclosure I just ordered.  It is hatchback style and I think it's going to be a great fit for behind the kick panel.  Should clear the heater core --- 3/4", glued and stapled at 1.25 cu ft which is about prefect for the Exile 12" sub.  I might shoot it with some bedliner coating to water proof it.  Definitely will be mounted off the floor.  The qbomb hatchback style is no longer available :-(.  The hatchback style slopes in the back to clear the heater core.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33869_Atrend-12SAL.html

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

@Fman how come you don't just build a box?  You have the skills.

LOL, thanks Shawn although my woodworking skills are definitely not my strong suite.  Honestly, I just have no motiation to build one.  For $45 shipped to your door imo the boxes you can buy these days are pretty darn good quality.  It would probably take me a full day to build one and I am not sure it would even be of the same build quality.

• Like 1