Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake plate


Recommended Posts

My Malibu dealer is not open yet.  So I thought I would ask here.   

Im looking at a few Malibu Txi.  Is it possible for a Malibu dealership to install the wake plate bracket?   

some of the txi I'm looking at don't have the bracket and I would like the wake plate on it.   

I assume it's also easy for the dealership to install the three brackets on each side for a Bimini?

Thanks for advice   

 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Yes, that is a simple dealer install, same with the bimini.

 

Only thing that would be a pain is the lack of a swim platform door so that you can get at the wedge pins unless you are talking about retrofitting a power wedge, in which case you need to make sure that the dealer can wire that up and turn on some feature of your dash controls.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
Link to post
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Only thing that would be a pain is the lack of a swim platform door so that you can get at the wedge pins unless you are talking about retrofitting a power wedge, in which case you need to make sure that the dealer can wire that up and turn on some feature of your dash controls.

True.  Power wedge would be a lot more complicated.  A manual wedge (floating wedge) is simple - 4 holes thru the hull to mount the plate, and bolt on the wedge to the plate.  Actually an easy do-it-yourself.  If I was doing it, I'd start a thread "how do I mount my wedge plate?" or something, some guys will walk you right thru it.

Accessing a wedge from a platform without the door isn't terrible, but yes you absolutely DO have to get in the water to lower it (if a manual wedge) and to stow it.  If you want to do it without getting in the water, then like oldjeep said you need the swim platform door installed, or the power stuff.

Link to post
5 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

True.  Power wedge would be a lot more complicated.  A manual wedge (floating wedge) is simple - 4 holes thru the hull to mount the plate, and bolt on the wedge to the plate.  Actually an easy do-it-yourself.  If I was doing it, I'd start a thread "how do I mount my wedge plate?" or something, some guys will walk you right thru it.

Accessing a wedge from a platform without the door isn't terrible, but yes you absolutely DO have to get in the water to lower it (if a manual wedge) and to stow it.  If you want to do it without getting in the water, then like oldjeep said you need the swim platform door installed, or the power stuff.

Knowing how bad the pins can stick on my inlaws LXI, I don't think I would want to hold my breath long enough to do it from the water ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to post

you should try it on mine! its really not hard once you know how to do it.  Then again I played water polo for years so I can stay under water longer than the average person. You actually have to get all the way under water to release mine.
 

0703151434_zpsxa7cxlxb.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Just now, oldjeep said:

Knowing how bad the pins can stick on my inlaws LXI, I don't think I would want to hold my breath long enough to do it from the water ;) 

You don't need to even get your head wet, it's actually very easy to do while in the water.  That's how mine was for years - no swim platform door, before I bought the new platform with the door in it.  I think twitchee2's platform is just a bit longer than most!

Link to post

Awesome thank u all for the advice and input.  Yes I would do the manual wedge.  Great community here at the Malibu crew   

Now just have to convince my wife about purchasing a Malibu txi (I'm leaning towards 2015, 2016.   Not sure about the 2017).    I already have two buyers wanting buy my 1997 mastercraft prostar 205 (it's a great boat) and they are willing to wait for it.   

Thank you again

moski

Link to post
11 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

True.  Power wedge would be a lot more complicated.  A manual wedge (floating wedge) is simple - 4 holes thru the hull to mount the plate, and bolt on the wedge to the plate.  Actually an easy do-it-yourself.  If I was doing it, I'd start a thread "how do I mount my wedge plate?" or something, some guys will walk you right thru it.

Accessing a wedge from a platform without the door isn't terrible, but yes you absolutely DO have to get in the water to lower it (if a manual wedge) and to stow it.  If you want to do it without getting in the water, then like oldjeep said you need the swim platform door installed, or the power stuff.

I have driven the boat on forgetting the wedge, if you were going to drop rope and pull immediately you could launch with it I assume? And then drive it on if you forget 

Link to post
On 11/16/2016 at 1:16 AM, granddaddy55 said:

I have driven the boat on forgetting the wedge, if you were going to drop rope and pull immediately you could launch with it I assume? And then drive it on if you forget 

Yep, it's behind and higher than the running gear, so trailering in/out with it up/down is not an issue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
11 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Yep, it's behind and higher than the running gear, so trailering in/out with it up/down is not an issue.

I've done that too.  It's easy easy to raise and lower in the parking lot.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 11/15/2016 at 1:00 PM, oldjeep said:

Knowing how bad the pins can stick on my inlaws LXI, I don't think I would want to hold my breath long enough to do it from the water ;) 

That's why I silicone wd40 spray  lube them at home once a month and work the buttons, mine were semi frozen/stuck my 1st time out reaching through door and had to over time figure out which finger to use with thumb using one hand only that was strong enough thru trap to work it no problem now that I lube.  I do the same thing with front and back of prop and retaining nut in hopes that my next year prop change won't be so hard, you actually see the wd penetrate the seams between prop, shaft and nut as well, use it on my 7 pin connector and truck receiver plug and all locks on tongue and receiver that get wet, they stay easy working free with little or no rust in our brack  water  and the wd using sparingly sucks right into crevices or lock key mechanisms great stuff for marine environment 

Water Dry 40 silicone 

original madr for military in world war 2

Link to post

Depends on how hany you  are, I beleive you may just be able to reach the bolts from inside the transom with a long extention socket.

Otherwise, if the tank needs to be removed for access there would be a few hours work.

Side panel, rear lounge, ski locker base, fuel pump from tank (could not removed the fuel line from the pump with the fittings used), then the tank.

Then the reverse once the wedge is installed.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...