Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Garage Help

bamaboy

As said, raising the garage door height is the best option.

Next best, get yourself a cheap set of 14" rims.  Measure how much clearance lowering the air pressure did for your height.  Now get a tire with a diameter that will put you below that level.  The good news with this is you can let the boat sit all winter on those tires.  Less stress on your trailer tires and no worry about flat spots. 

7 hours ago, bamaboy said:

I don't think they make 14 inch 6 lugs do they?

Just make sure a 14" will clear your brakes, and be aware that trailer wheels are typically 0 offset  which is (rim width/2) =  backspace, car rims are not.  (fancy way of saying that the wheel mounting surface is in the center of the rim)

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Sure they do.  Here is one of many examples:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3104660/overview/

I count five on that one.  I looked man and I don't think they do.

47 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just make sure a 14" will clear your brakes, and be aware that trailer wheels are typically 0 offset  which is (rim width/2) =  backspace, car rims are not.  (fancy way of saying that the wheel mounting surface is in the center of the rim)

I'm not sure I need 14s.  If I have 15s and it cleared with a deflated tire wouldn't it clear on just the rim?  Also, can you speak english for me Jeep?  What does that mean in practical terms?

Just now, bamaboy said:

I'm not sure I need 14s.  If I have 15s and it cleared with a deflated tire wouldn't it clear on just the rim?  Also, can you speak english for me Jeep?  What does that mean in practical terms?

If you look at the description instead of the pictures(Image is a representation of this item. Actual item may vary) you will see it is a 6 lug ;)  Stock wheel on a lot of old mazda pickups, ford couriers and some other little Japanese trucks.

Wheel, Nomad I, Steel, White, 14 in. x 6 in., 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Circle, 3.50 in. Backspace, Each

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3104660/overview/

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

So let me get this straight.  You are actually talking about putting a bare rim on the trailer - no tires?  I'm out ;)

As for the backspacing/offset that is about as simply as I can put it.

Edited by oldjeep
Just now, DarkSide said:

NO WAY would i even consider doing this.   1. those rims are rated WITH tires 1600lbs so 6400, A G23, +trailer, and no tires. ..probably not a solid plan. 

Not to mention what it would do to your concrete.

• Like 3

However, you could put on rims only, and no tires, and then put dollies under the rims.  They make some dished out ones that would then roll pretty easily.

But yeah - I can only imagine the sound of bare rims rolling along the concrete.  Not good.

21 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

However, you could put on rims only, and no tires, and then put dollies under the rims.  They make some dished out ones that would then roll pretty easily.

But yeah - I can only imagine the sound of bare rims rolling along the concrete.  Not good.

I've got some really heavy (2000lb a piece capacity)  wheel dollies and they are miserable to use with a lot of weight on them even on really good concrete.  You would need 3 good sized friends to have any chance of getting a boat on a trailer to move in the direction you wanted.  It takes a fair bit of force to get all the casters to rotate and decide to get the wheels rolling in the same direction, once you have a direction and movement they work pretty slick.

These are the ones I have, wide enough to put a set of duals on

148812_114x114.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

I'm slightly confused.  I have some left over flooring, plywood, whatever to protect the concrete from the rims.  How is this any worse than rolling it on a flat tire?  Come on now...You guys need to increase your hillbilly fortitude

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 2
28 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I'm slightly confused.  I have some left over flooring, plywood, whatever to protect the concrete from the rims.  How is this any worse than rolling it on a flat tire?  Come on now...You guys need to increase your hillbilly fortitude

All the weight compressed onto the rim beads will chip up your concrete and likely fold over the rim bead.  Your flat tire is still spreading the load out and more importantly protecting the bead and tire.

47 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

All the weight compressed onto the rim beads will chip up your concrete and likely fold over the rim bead.  Your flat tire is still spreading the load out and more importantly protecting the bead and tire.

Not if I put down plywood or some old flooring I have laying around.  Who cares if the rim bends?  Even more clearance!

One thought I had was having my welder friend weld in a piece of steel to flatten out the rims running surface.  

On 11/7/2016 at 2:47 PM, oldjeep said:

Plan C - dig a couple holes ;)  Couple trenches in the concrete for the tires and it would make sure you backed it up straight :)

^^this .. just a couple neat trenches.  Build some treated filler to go in it the rest of the year.  Easy fix when you go to sell (couple bags a concrete).

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

Even with a flat, the weight is distributed across the surface of the tire...with no tire the weight is concentrated into the surface of the rim.   Think about a lady standing on your foot wearing sperrys, now same lady standing on your foot wearing a stiletto.  The weight concentration is the killer.

Just now, bamaboy said:

Not if I put down plywood or some old flooring I have laying around.  Who cares if the rim bends?  Even more clearance!

One thought I had was having my welder friend weld in a piece of steel to flatten out the rims running surface.  

I say go for it and take video when you try it out ;)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

I say go for it and take video when you try it out ;)

The wheels are in motion...literally and figuratively

2 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Even with a flat, the weight is distributed across the surface of the tire...with no tire the weight is concentrated into the surface of the rim.   Think about a lady standing on your foot wearing sperrys, now same lady standing on your foot wearing a stiletto.  The weight concentration is the killer.

I understand the concept but I just think you guys are being fancy boys.  I do appreciate the help from all the fancy boys  though. :)

Edited by bamaboy

Alright time to embrace my southern heritage... 

IF you were able to disburse the weight, maybe wrap the entire edge of the rim in a thick 1/2" layer of duct tape.  you would potentially spread the weight AND protect the floor. ...