Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Winter Bu Projects Are You Planning?

minnmarker

Still thinking about making a helm cover for those times I'm too lazy to put the big cover on the boat.

04calabria19.jpg

Here's one I did recently. The corner seats ripped out at the piping from people stepping into the boat on them. I had them repaired ($100), then put some black hydroturf on the bottom of each. Now I will make a point to flip them over as people are getting in & out of the boat.

IMG_20160930_124127469_HDR_zpsl7chahlx.j

9 hours ago, coldwater-echelon said:

Love the turf idea on the seat bottom?

Can you share some deatils on the helm cover?  How is it held in place?

The turf on the bottom of the seat is something that Nautique has done on various boats in the past.

I haven't figured out how I'm going to keep the helm cover in place yet. Maybe a couple of snaps? Maybe magnets?

Is there still cushion under that?  My opinion is the give in the cushion is what causes the problems, if the seat still flexes, it will still give way at the weakest point i.e. upholstery.

1 hour ago, REHinH20 said:

Is there still cushion under that?  My opinion is the give in the cushion is what causes the problems, if the seat still flexes, it will still give way at the weakest point i.e. upholstery.

Yes. 300 hours on ours and no problems so far. I can go take some pictures if you want. 

On 11/9/2016 at 3:58 PM, REHinH20 said:

I think your right. The issue is there is a seam with piping across the middle of the seat. People step on the seat, the foam gives, the seam is stressed under their foot. My boat has almost 700 hrs on it & the problem didn't show up till around 600.

Flipping the seat over puts the stress in a different place, around the perimeter of the seat. We'll see how much different the wear is.

• Like 2

My 16 year old interior had no issues until this year, 3 seat cushion split at the seam, the vinyl not the thread. My plan is to reupholster all the rear seat cushion bottoms because the others are showing signs of splitting.  I am seriously considering getting new skins made that don't have the seam since this is almost always the trouble area.  Won't be as pretty, but I'm more of a functional guy.  

32 minutes ago, MadMan said:

My 16 year old interior had no issues until this year, 3 seat cushion split at the seam, the vinyl not the thread. My plan is to reupholster all the rear seat cushion bottoms because the others are showing signs of splitting.  I am seriously considering getting new skins made that don't have the seam since this is almost always the trouble area.  Won't be as pretty, but I'm more of a functional guy.  

Take before and after pictures so we can see how it turns out. I'll be facing the same thing in a few years.

6 hours ago, MadMan said:

The guy that repaired mine did it by removing the skin from the base & foam, restitching the seam 1/2" up from where it was, then reinstalling the skin. He does this to a lot of seats successfully. And can even do it a 2nd time occasionally too. It makes very little difference in the shape of the seat too.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
19 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

The guy that repaired mine did it by removing the skin from the base & foam, restitching the seam 1/2" up from where it was, then reinstalling the skin. He does this to a lot of seats successfully. And can even do it a 2nd time occasionally too. It makes very little difference in the shape of the seat too.

I'll look into that.

Restoring a sunfish sailboat that's been sitting behind my parent's house for over 20 yrs.

there is moss or mold or mildew or something growing in the gelcoat and several cracks in the fiberglass.

4DBCBB8A-6AE0-4EA1-B734-9E81A4D7BC68_zps

27ACE0A9-CAE9-41C4-86AF-681D8E411373_zps

I was going to replace my carpet with deckadence and do a stereo upgrade but no $$bonus at work this year ?. I have a few little things to do though.

i also have some old jeep improvements as well.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, kbsuperjet said:

wedge

perfect pass

tower lighting for my illusion xs tower

trailer brakes

subwoofer and fix my wetsounds:(

Just wondering, what kind of lighting were you thinking about doing (where are your going to mount it and how are you going to mount it)? Thinking about doing it on mine, just looking for some ideas. 

10 minutes ago, blytle473 said:

Just wondering, what kind of lighting were you thinking about doing (where are your going to mount it and how are you going to mount it)? Thinking about doing it on mine, just looking for some ideas. 

I also need a tower light for my illusion tower.  If you guys come up with a good source that fits the tower, please keep us updated.

Bakes sells lights for the illusion tower. I was just planning on going with them. being that I can walk in the door, they are super helpful.

I just wanted something to illuminate the interior from the highest point on the tower pointing downwards into the interior. Everything I see on Bakes is a spotlight type of thing that mounts to the side or the top of the tower and its $250. I don't really need that much lighting power nor want to spend that kind of money. Anyone else know of any options?

I have been looking at different kinds of single and multiple (3-4 bulb LED) lights at WalMart, Bass Pro etc... for top of the trailer frame for guide/vanity lights for a while now. There is a single round and a rectangular 3 bulb options I have been eyeing. I know for a fact on the G3, I could drill a hole, run wires through the main tower tube, through the gunnel and into Malivue with no problems. On the older Illusions towers I have no experience with, but I bet t doable as well.

On 12/2/2016 at 2:20 PM, minnmarker said:

What are you all trying to illuminate?

I actually want a 360/anchor tower light.  I hate, hate, hate, hate the stupid pole lights.

Here's what I did!

*ill post pics later, I'm having a hard time with Photobucket on my phone

they are the same lights used on the runway trailer lighting. Instead of the rubber grommet, I just used silicone so the hole can be smaller. The reason was I upgraded tower speakers and had to move the inner mounts closer to the center. I still the old holes out bigger for the lights. 

For being this small, they light up the cabin extremely well,even with my speakers in the way. 

Edited by kx250frider617