Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Winter Bu Projects Are You Planning?

minnmarker

1. Install a two port heater.

2.  Domed registration numbers seem like a good idea.

3. Get a couple cushions stitched.

4.  I'll probably end up pulling the heads off, just because I haven't done it before.  

First year my boat is at home with me since we moved to a 3 car garage - also blew up the engine at the end of last year so that sucked up the capital. 

1. Plumb in my 2 rear sacs

2. take down tower speaker enclosure and plastidip it to reseal 

3. install new tower speakers

4. re wire all interior and tower speakers

5. prop down to a 1235 

6. install cargo bimini for the surf boards

7. clean up wire mess

8. new bungees for board racks

9. reattach internal LED lighting

10. possibly replace fuel sending unit. 

11 possibly raise the drivers seat

12(maybe) if i get really bored this winter i'll engineer an auto surfgate.  

Edited by jhartt3
1 hour ago, mikeo said:
  • put better/deeper engine divider channels in since the dividers pop of of the existing track when the PnP ballast is filled (yes, there is already a wakemakers divider reinforcement kit installed)

Dont the wakemakers ones work very good?  I was going to do that myself this winter...

Just now, 05hammerhead said:

Dont the wakemakers ones work very good?  I was going to do that myself this winter...

The divider reinforcement works well, but the pressure from the 800+ lbs "max fill" ballast fat sacs pop the dividers out of the shallow channel track on the floor. The channel is only about 1/4 - 3/8 deep and I'd like to get that to 1/2" or deeper.

Just now, mikeo said:

The divider reinforcement works well, but the pressure from the 800+ lbs "max fill" ballast fat sacs pop the dividers out of the shallow channel track on the floor. The channel is only about 1/4 - 3/8 deep and I'd like to get that to 1/2" or deeper.

How does the plastic panel hold up?  Take pictures of what you do so I can copy.  I run that weight in mine too.

Since I don't own a boat....

1. Hook up heater with new vent tubes. Redo ski platform again - Response 

2. Put new oil pan on - Sunsetter LXI

3. Possible transmission change - 88 Mastercraft

All spring projects, I don't heat my shop and except the snow ski workbench area. :)

• Like 1

Just the highlights:

1.  New stereo system with new amp rack, Blue Sea switch and ACR and possibly add a 3rd battery and a charger (Hurry up Wetsounds head unit!)

2.  Fresh Air Exhaust

3.  Install 4 inch seat riser I already bought from the guy on eBay

4.  Fix factory ballast system (2 bad pumps, 1 cracked hose)

5.  Add 3 reversible pumps for extra bags

6.  Engine is getting new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, thermostat and a new belt plus the regular annual maintenance

7.  LED lighting (white and red on separate switches) throughout

8.  Powdercoat gauge surround and glovebox dark charcoal gray to match rest of dash

9.  SeaDek on swim platform

10.  Remove decals on boat (maybe go domed numbers logo & reg - current reg numbers are painted on)

11.  Add power to rear lockers for tube inflator

12.  New wheels/tires for trailer

13.  Add another set of board racks

4 hours ago, jhartt3 said:

First year my boat is at home with me since we moved to a 3 car garage - also blew up the engine at the end of last year so that sucked up the capital. 

1. Plumb in my 2 rear sacs

2. take down tower speaker enclosure and plastidip it to reseal 

3. install new tower speakers

4. re wire all interior and tower speakers

5. prop down to a 1235 

6. install cargo bimini for the surf boards

7. clean up wire mess

8. new bungees for board racks

9. reattach internal LED lighting

10. possibly replace fuel sending unit. 

11 possibly raise the drivers seat

12(maybe) if i get really bored this winter i'll engineer an auto surfgate.  

12, 11, 5, then 1! Surfs up.

4 hours ago, mikeo said:

If you have the reinforcing bars already maybe try moving the top twist things up a bit so the panel is held down tight in the channels. Easier than replacing the tracks.

27 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

If you have the reinforcing bars already maybe try moving the top twist things up a bit so the panel is held down tight in the channels. Easier than replacing the tracks.

You might want to sister up the stock divider tracks with some aluminum "L" channel right behind it.  I've heard this works well and plan to do it on my boat.

Edited by MJR63

My winter projects:

1. Plumb in 2 new rear sacs with reversables
  2. Add new bow hard tank with reversible pump
  3. Add divider reinforcements
  4. Sister up the stock divider tracks with some aluminum "L" channel for additional support
  • Like 1

Besides normal cleanup stuff:

- Muffler bypass.  With the FAE the muffler isn't needed

- Maybe a hot water shower. Maybe. 

- Stereo tuning, fix a couple speaker grills and try to find thr damn Alpine adapter cable for my Bluetooth unit. 

- Reinforce engine divider. 

- Since going to the Fauxnix Wakeshaper, the custom swim platform is abandoned. So selling the custom machined brackets and just raising the platform a couple inches plus redo the surf flap. 

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

- Muffler bypass.  With the FAE the muffler isn't needed

Please report back or document this...I'm thinking about doing the same, curious to see your results.

On 11/4/2016 at 1:33 PM, kerpluxal said:

Hmmm... Planning on putting it in the water and riding :yahoo:

Yeeaa baby!78 water today, air eightees to nineties. 

Need that 2419 prop, there goes the budget, 

lengthen my rear locker pnp drains looping them forward and then back to rear wall with quick connect  90 to bottom drain ,  should increase each locker 50-100lbs, my 850's might even fill 825 maybe more

real sound system next off season, WAIT I dont have one:)

Edited by granddaddy55
On 11/4/2016 at 1:45 PM, minnmarker said:

You guys with 12 months of liquid water never get to play on the frozen water :rockon:

I scheduled that for 1/6-1/14 at breck, bought summit pass and plan to go back 1 maybe 2 more this year on my $520 pass.  missed 15/16' due to broken femur still healing, 1st miss in 17 years(5 years with 18-22 days), sent the wife to steamboat in March for her birthday for a new equipment filled 6 day pow trip on her own when I was healing, she loved it 

N.O. to Denver Southwest, cheapest non stop in all of skiing year in year out for a 3 hour flight, this year paid 178 round trip non stop

Edited by granddaddy55

My winter project is to continue healing the back, strengthen the core, and be ready to hit the water next year.

Oh, and lots of snow skiing.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I'm ready to get the swerve going with the Rossignols.

Steve B.

Riding board this time with a local for a week, usually I split time on both , if no pow or holdover snow, I'll ski the bumps whole time, when the pow hits, I move that rear binding back on the board and "surf" the pow, love it on skis, but the pow surfing on board is unreal , you csn get 50 ft backside or toeside hand drags 

Edited by granddaddy55

Replace my 2 6 volt golf Cart interstate Battery's, Upgrade brand new stereo equipment Depending on a certain audio manufacture, Toying with switching out my Gator step with a different color, ( Gator step uses a better material now then when I did my swim platform and gunnels, So he offered to replace them free to match my floor, I have the sharkskin Gray and black, But I saw a Supra he did with the Black & pearl and it look amazing! I hear it's really hard to remove the old Gatorstep though...So we will see! 

38 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

move mini fridge & poker table into the boat for winter time.

You hang out in your boat while its in storage?  We do, it's a lot bigger than our living room.  And I can make boat sounds sitting in the captains chair....

• Like 4
On 11/4/2016 at 7:57 PM, minnmarker said:

12, 11, 5, then 1! Surfs up.

already have a manual gate and throw the pump over all year.  its not awful but it'd sure be nice to have the gates on martin's system

• Like 2
4 hours ago, racer808 said:

You hang out in your boat while its in storage?  We do, it's a lot bigger than our living room.  And I can make boat sounds sitting in the captains chair....

Of course boats at work one room over.. the 25 doubles as conference center..

On 11/6/2016 at 10:17 AM, The Hulk said:

Of course boats at work one room over.. the 25 doubles as conference center..

I can just picture this, delivered from the bow:

"Good morning, how are we all doing.  We've got about 3 or 4 minutes before we get started, so go ahead and top off you coffee and grab one of those bagels, little shout out to Mandy for getting us set up this morning (Mandy waves from the back while wiping off a countertop).  I know some of you had quite the drive this morning, quick little story about my commute..."