Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What 1/2 ton are you towing with? (no diesels and 2014+ newer)

Fman

My 2013 F150 Ecoboost has 112,000 trouble free miles. Plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future. A coworker also has a 2013 Ecoboost with 208,000 trouble free miles. He plans on driving his another year before trading. He will be in the 250,000 range by then. 

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

um, no. You reduce your effective gear ratio with big tires which reduces the tow rating. Now if you change trucks at 40k you never get to experience the damage you are doing, but if you keep them long term it is the difference between lots of repairs and none. 

Why are the dealers selling 6" lifted Tundras with 35" tires? are they changing out differential gears?  doubt it...I do agree you loose a little performance with taller tires from factory specd diff gears but doing long term damage not so much.  The Tundra also does come with 4.30 gears compared to the Ford at 3.55.  I'm too old to want to lift a truck anymore (I had 40's on a K5 Blazer back in my mullet days) but I would definitely consider a leveling kit as ixfe did with slightly larger tires than stock.  It appears even when he went to 34" tires the performance loss was minimal even towing a 6500 lb lsv, seems like it would be even less on the Tundra with 4.30 gears.

3 hours ago, RyanB said:

You eliminated my first choice.  The RAM 1500 is a great truck.

2nd choice would be a Chevy 6.2.  The Toyota wouldn't even make my list.  There is a reason they only have minuscule market share.  Ford/Chevy/RAM are all better trucks.

I just can't get past the looks of a Dodge, imo they are way overdue for some type of body style update.

Could you elaborate more on why Ford, Dodge and Chevy are better trucks?  The 5.7L Tundra seems like a proven engine, 401 ft lbs torque is not bad either.  I do have some reservation about Ford and Chevy longevity in comparison to the Tundra.  I am a total Toyota fan boy and proudly admit it.  Have had way too many good experiences with Toyota.  I'm definitely going to test drive the F150 3.5L ecoboost as well, have heard of lot of good things about this vehicle.  Can you get a 6.2L in the Chevy 1500?  I am not seeing any 6.2 1500's only the 2500 which I don't want a 3/4 ton.

ahopkins22LSV

You can get the 6.2 in the 1500, just not that common. I would not rule out the new 5.3 though either. Is a brand new engine over the old 5.3 and is much much better. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
2 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

My 2013 F150 Ecoboost has 112,000 trouble free miles. Plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future. A coworker also has a 2013 Ecoboost with 208,000 trouble free miles. He plans on driving his another year before trading. He will be in the 250,000 range by then. 

That is impressive, both 3.5L?

5 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Sorry but a lifted tundra with an American flag just isn't right :Tease3:

That Chevy though!

I know right, they need a Nissan with the American flag behind it too.  Now the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge need the respective flags too, except it's not the American flag :Tease3:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Stevo said:

Trav, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Tundra or the F150, I like the looks of both. We need a lot of space so I'd lean F150 as I felt the cab was more spacious. 

Leveled trucks doesn't affect the ride, and I actually feel mine rides better because it has a wider stance. level kit did not affect the warranty either.

It's a bummer most OEMs have dropped the 100k warranty tho. Just one more thing to upcharge.

Steve what are you towing with right now?  I thought you had a diesel? I'm pretty sure I will end up with a Ford F150 or Tundra.  I need to test drive them both to really get a good feel for them.  Pricing seems all over the place on the F150's.  Hopefully they are comparably priced with similar options.

I'm jumping in late here, and don't have a truck that qualifies. I upgraded to a '15 Chevy 2500HD from an '06 Tundra Limited (lifted) since I needed the towing capacity for the travel trailer and it's nice to have for the LSV too. The one detail that I couldn't get past (other than towing capacity) with the new Tundra is that it's impossible to get the "long" (6.5') bed with the "CrewMax" (full double) cab. I really liked having the CrewMax with the 6.5' bed on my '06 Limited; Toyota missed out on two things: the cab/bed configuration and not utilizing the diesel engine from one of their partner companies (Hino).

There was a Toyota Tundra CrewMax w/long bed powered by a diesel built for a car show a few years ago. I would have seriously considered putting a deposit on one of those instead of just negotiating at the end of the fiscal year for an on-the-lot vehicle like I usually do.

My point in all of that: make sure you have the cargo space you need/want in the new truck, you don't want to leave any of the weekend toys behind!

I forgot to mention that I have seen one "frankentruck" where somebody took a Tundra Limited CrewMax and put a 6.5' long bed on it, but they owned an auto shop is Texas and likely did the work themselves. (it was one of the shops on "Texas Car Wars" or something like that; the only reason I watched the show for a whole episode was to try to figure out details on the truck.)

Edited by mikeo
more detail added
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Fman said:

That is impressive, both 3.5L?

Yes sir! Pulled my LSV great!!  I will also say that both of our trucks have ZERO rattles or squeaks in the interior. Mine is as quiet today as the day I bought it (I'd say new, but i didnt own it then) with just over 40k on it. 

3 hours ago, Fman said:

I just can't get past the looks of a Dodge, imo they are way overdue for some type of body style update.

Could you elaborate more on why Ford, Dodge and Chevy are better trucks?  The 5.7L Tundra seems like a proven engine, 401 ft lbs torque is not bad either.  I do have some reservation about Ford and Chevy longevity in comparison to the Tundra.  I am a total Toyota fan boy and proudly admit it.  Have had way too many good experiences with Toyota.  I'm definitely going to test drive the F150 3.5L ecoboost as well, have heard of lot of good things about this vehicle.  Can you get a 6.2L in the Chevy 1500?  I am not seeing any 6.2 1500's only the 2500 which I don't want a 3/4 ton.

Actually, the 6.2 is only offered in the 1500.  They use the 6.0 in the 2500/3500 trucks.  Not sure if you can get it in a Chevy, but I know you can in a GMC Sierra Denali.

I have an 11 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2.  Every report that I have read shows the 6.2 as the best performing engine, and it gets better MPG than the Hemi, EcoBoost, or GM's 5.3.  It will absolutely out perform the Toyota.  I am a MOPAR guy, but I am impressed with that engine.  

As to why I feel that all three "Big 3" are better trucks?  More HP and torque that get better MPG in the top engines, better transmissions, better MPG overall, more interior options, more cab/bed configurations, more engine choices, less expensive to purchase, the list goes on.  I also feel that "Toyota quality" is highly overstated.  Last I checked, Toyota had a higher % of recalls than the other manufactures.

But if you are a self-professed Toyota fanboy, get the Toyota.  That is probably what you will do anyway.  (It is what I would do in a 1500, except I would get a RAM).

• Like 2

Travis. Drive the 2017 EcoBoost if you have an opportunity. Ford came up with a fix for DI valve coking and rough idle by going with a hybrid fuel injection system. It also has 470 pound feet of torque and a 10 speed transmission. That combination will provide the best towing experience hands down. Of course if you want a higher chance of having a trouble free ownership experience you are not going to beat the Toyota. It might be the oldest powertrain but it's still an excellent performing and stone reliable package + they do look great with a mild lift and some tires. 

Not sure I agree with Toyota not being in the same class as the "Big 3". RAM is part of that class and it's largest engine is down 60 pound feet of torque to the Ford (basically same specs and mileage as the Toyota). But of course Toyota does not offer that absolutely stunning grill that the Dodge limited has. :))

Difficult choice. 

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/10/consumer-reports-reliability-study-has-toyota-near-top.html

Edited by Tims
17 hours ago, Anderson24 said:

EB624A4F-48A8-4E2E-B52E-D398344EB291_zps

I just loved all the extra niceness. Made me feel warm inside. 

That is a great looking rig (and boat).  That height of your truck is about perfect, nothing crazy and tastefully done.  What great ratio do you have in your diff's? 4.30's?

4 hours ago, Tims said:

Travis. Drive the 2017 EcoBoost if you have an opportunity. Ford came up with a fix for DI valve coking and rough idle by going with a hybrid fuel injection system. It also has 470 pound feet of torque and a 10 speed transmission. That combination will provide the best towing experience hands down. Of course if you want a higher chance of having a trouble free ownership experience you are not going to beat the Toyota. It might be the oldest powertrain but it's still an excellent performing and stone reliable package + they do look great with a mild lift and some tires. 

Not sure I agree with Toyota not being in the same class as the "Big 3". RAM is part of that class and it's largest engine is down 60 pound feet of torque to the Ford (basically same specs and mileage as the Toyota). But of course Toyota does not offer that absolutely stunning grill that the Dodge limited has. :))

Difficult choice. 

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/10/consumer-reports-reliability-study-has-toyota-near-top.html

Are the 2016 F150's using the hybrid fuel injection system? only 2017's?  470 ft pound of torque/10 speed trans is pretty insane.  Will definitely check it out although my TD is scheduled Thurs with a 2016 Lariat 3.5L eco.

Talking price, what is % off MSRP I should try and get off a Toyota or F150? Or is considered a "fair deal".   I always hate the sit down at the table with any dealer, but unfortunately its almost impossible to avoid.  I also have zero problems walking away from the table if I can't get the deal I am looking for.  Most of the the dealers do not even list all of there inventory online, you have to go down and walk the lot.

Edited by Fman

Yes , I am in a leveled 350 with 35's

yes I have to fix the TpMs (stock rear sensors are set to 80 psi) 

ive been in a 2015  f150 several times and my neighbor bought a 2wd 16 (but I don't count the 2wd , that's not a real truck) 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Fman said:

Are the 2016 F150's using the hybrid fuel injection system? only 2017's?  470 ft pound of torque/10 speed trans is pretty insane.  Will definitely check it out although my TD is scheduled Thurs with a 2016 Lariat 3.5L eco.

No. The 2016 have the old 3.5....The new 3.5 obviously has the same displacement but it has over 90% new components. 

No clue on Toyota discounts but 20-25% on an F-150 should be doable. The dealer I bought my F-150 at was advertising 25% on their website and I got a little more off when sitting down crunching numbers. I did drive about 3 hours to go to that dealer as it was about $5k cheaper than all my local dealers.

Here is their website, they currently show 22% off.....http://www.fairwayfordohio.com/

Edited by That Guy