Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What 1/2 ton are you towing with? (no diesels and 2014+ newer)

Fman

55 minutes ago, Soon2BV said:

I have never used anything but 87 or 89 in my 6.2  - that is what the owners manual recommends.

6.2 availability was limited for awhile because of Camaro demand.

Which one do you have? Reports I read when researching trucks said the newer 6.2 ecotec will ping and pull timing on 87. 

17 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Which one do you have? Reports I read when researching trucks said the newer 6.2 ecotec will ping and pull timing on 87. 

I have 6.2 ecotec in a yukon (2015) ...wife runs 87...runs great...and for our elevation, like a scalded dog.  I know IXFE's opinion is otherwise, but in relatively flat land the yukon pulls off the line better than the F-150 EB I demo'd towing a centurion fs44.  TIFWIW.

58 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I have 6.2 ecotec in a yukon (2015) ...wife runs 87...runs great...and for our elevation, like a scalded dog.  I know IXFE's opinion is otherwise, but in relatively flat land the yukon pulls off the line better than the F-150 EB I demo'd towing a centurion fs44.  TIFWIW.

Out of curiosity, what are you running in your Hemi?  Manual for my 09 says 89 preferred  for max performance but 87 is OK, and I can actually tell the difference in power when I've had to use 87 in it.

Edited by oldjeep
On 11/2/2016 at 7:15 AM, Fman said:

We just went into contract on a new home, my life is going to be crazy over the next couple months, so I am going to hold off on purchase until next year.

So, this is the net effect of kicking the hornets next and running like the wind!  Congrats on the new property.  Hopefully everything works out the way you want.  Besides, when it's time to really buy the truck you can start another 11 page crap storm!

Dave

16 hours ago, Fman said:

Lake House, wouldn't that be nice!  Nope, but 2.5 acres of property with a great shop on it.  Not trying to get my hopes too high, we are just in the beginning stages of inspections (well, septic, home, etc..).   I really hope it all works out because this shop and property are amazing, will be a big change from the stucco-ville city life!  Will keep you posted, keeping my fingers crossed :) @teamerickson yes still planning on going G4.

Congrats! Hopefully you love living on property too. How big is the shop?

18 hours ago, NWBU said:

Congrats! Hopefully you love living on property too. How big is the shop?

Shop is approx 1700 sq ft, with a 14' and 10' roll up wood frame construction to match the house.  Also has 40' RV covered side area with hook ups.  Whoever built this definitely had a good plan and is a solid build.  Down the road I will probably eventually end up putting a lift in it so I no longer have to work on my back when wrenching.  Will also be buying a riding lawn mower, this place is going to keep me busy!

4 minutes ago, Fman said:

Down the road I will probably eventually end up putting a lift in it so I no longer have to work on my back when wrenching. 

Congrats!

You'll definitely need that lift and wrench if you get that F150!

too soon? :cheers:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Fman said:

Shop is approx 1700 sq ft, with a 14' and 10' roll up wood frame construction to match the house.  Also has 40' RV covered side area with hook ups.  Whoever built this definitely had a good plan and is a solid build.  Down the road I will probably eventually end up putting a lift in it so I no longer have to work on my back when wrenching.  Will also be buying a riding lawn mower, this place is going to keep me busy!

Get a commercial zero turn.  Buy one used...they last forever.  Don't cheap out on a Home Depot special or a regular garden tractor.  I've been down that road and it is worth the extra coin in time savings alone.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Fman said:

Sounds like a great setup, and done right the first time. Not sure if you're up for this but there's a shortage of enclosed boat storage around here so I end up with a few extra boats in my shop each offseason. For "friends" of course, and they carry their own insurance all year but it's good side $ and makes boating a fairly profitable hobby for me. No in and out access, they just drop off in the fall after winterizing and pick up in the spring, so I see them twice a year.

9 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Get a commercial zero turn.  Buy one used...they last forever.  Don't cheap out on a Home Depot special or a regular garden tractor.  I've been down that road and it is worth the extra coin in time savings alone.  

That's good advice, definitely don't go with the lower end mowers, even for more reputable brands like John Deere. Same for the other yard care equipment you'll end up with - just go commercial grade from day 1 since your time is too valuable when you have a few acres to maintain.

On 11/2/2016 at 2:53 PM, UWSkier said:

is the the newer version, 2014. 

I had the earlier 6.2 in my 2012 and it ran on 87 also. 

Sometimes i notice a little ping pulling up the ramp, but i only do that once a year.  I don't notice anything pulling the TT.

9 hours ago, NWBU said:

That's good advice, definitely don't go with the lower end mowers, even for more reputable brands like John Deere. Same for the other yard care equipment you'll end up with - just go commercial grade from day 1 since your time is too valuable when you have a few acres to maintain.

From trucks to mowers, what the heck... so what do you guys recommend for a zero turn mower?  Any specific brand?  I am starting to hunt on craigslist, definitely will go used.  I will have approx 3/4 acre to mow, maybe 1 acre at most.

Just now, Fman said:

From trucks to mowers, what the heck... so what do you guys recommend for a zero turn mower?  Any specific brand?  I am starting to hunt on craigslist, definitely will go used.  I will have approx 3/4 acre to mow, maybe 1 acre at most.

I bought a Toro Commercial Z demo mower on Craig's list from a dealer in Ohio.  Had it freight shipped and got an amazing deal!  :yahoo:

I have a Husqvarna ZT for my lake place, the one with the commercial deck and I've been happy with it.  I went with the 48" because of all the trees I have and because I didn't want to risk scalping it in spots.  There are a lot of good brands if you're spending $3-5k, mine was right about in the middle in terms of price.  

Many of the main brands are really, really similar so I don't know if it matters a whole lot if you spend enough.  I wouldn't splurge for some of those crazy commercial mowers for the size acreage you have.  I have 1 acre as well.

ExMark LazerZ 60" commercial zero turn makes quick (and quality) work of our 6 acres. Coming up on year 8(?) and we've had no major issues. Taking my time I'll probably spend 2.5 hours but I can be done in 2 if I'm motivated. 

Now it's time for 11 pages of lawn mowers :Tease3:

Edited by abattle10
6 hours ago, Fman said:

Around here, at least 90% of the pro's have Exmarks.  That's what I have, 60" deck.

Edited by Nitrousbird
4 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

Exactly what NB said 90% of the pros have Exmarks.  I love my Exmark ZTM hydro with a Kaw engine.

Exmark and Toro Pro built in same Factory, I have had both. Toro I have now is nearly identicle to the Exmark but had better warranty. Cost less too. Bought new.

Edited by dalt1
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, dalt1 said:

Exmark and Toro Pro built in same Factory, I have had both. Toro I have now is nearly identicle to the Exmark but had better warranty. Cost less too. Bought new.

Used to do work for Toro, near as I could tell they were the pretty much the same machines with different stickers, brand pref may be a regional thing as well since you don't really see many Exmark around here (where Toro is based)

On 10/29/2016 at 11:26 AM, Pnwrider said:

I couldn't get up this ramp without 4wd. the river is tidal and dropped after I launched that morning. I use this ramp pretty much every weekend from nov-jan. 

20141207_103216_zpsqf06gxjp.jpg

OMG!!! Must be one special and under used water way, your Special Place, I see the glass but that's easily the worst launch I have ever seen and I've been launching fishing and skiing for 35 years in a swamp

must not be much Corps presence, which I guess is a good thing cause all they know how to do is keep engineers employed!

Edited by granddaddy55