Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What 1/2 ton are you towing with? (no diesels and 2014+ newer)

Fman

So ZT mowers, I have a Z121 from Kubota. It is their smaller residential line but the components are better than many entry level commercial units. I have half an acre and a 48" deck, takes about 15minutes to mow my lawn. The mower is way overkill for me. That said, if you have hills, be careful with ZT, they don't transverse hills very well.

• 2 weeks later...

as far as zt mowers I mow 2 acres with a Ferris 61 inch .  it is rated at 5 acres per hour.  pricy at 7500 but is one step below full Comercial duty.  has a kawasaki motor.  I can mow my yard in under 2 hours have a lot of trees to mow around. easy.  I also helped my bro in law mow his ground and was mowing 30 inch tall grass in the spring.  the Ferris will throw grass about 15 ft.  can't speak highly enough about this mower.  it also has a suspension. which most of the box store ZT don't.

I'm about to pull trigger on 2016 2.7 XLT luxury eco super crew with 3.73 e lock gears and tow package and fancy red  paint for before TTL $32250 - 27% off MSRP (no trailer brake controller or installed bed liner and they are giving me 500 more on my car in trade than it's worth so 31750). I'm at sea level flat ground with only bridges and my small 20 axis or one day a good bit  larger boat on same flat land. Does anyone have a non surge trailer with integrated electric controller over trailer  hydraulic? can you reasonably mod tongue on black painted galvanized surge brake Boatmate??  .  There is a white standard color truck with controller and bed liner dealer installed I think cause not on sticker at another dealer with 3.31 e lock  at another dealership that I could pursue that I think I can get for same price maybe some less.  3.31 e lock will work for me but the 3.73 ruby red is a slightly better truck and real good looking and I'm unlikely too commute and I understand the diff in hwy is 1-1.66 mikes less mpg and virtually none in city, i assume at moderate tow mod towing it would be more efficient and equal or better mpg towing.  I'm trying to push them on red to install both Ford oem integrated for controller  and linex  spray bed for only a couple hundred more.  So before I loose this deal which I didn't think the dealer on main hwy to make the other night with my truck sight unseen $2000 for  a 2000 ram with tow at 167000 miles, does anyone know about trailer with controller their experience with it vs surge on a modern truck.  I'll go with red if folks think even with larger boat the controller won't make enough difference or won't on my smaller boat???

side note the red I haven't seen in back lot has a chance to be a 6.5ft with that 3.73 gear cause dealer offer sheet pulled up the Bold letter top line desc of the truck as 6.5 and that was drawn from their system or that may be in a payload package it doesn't have, but inventory picture online doesn't seem so, either way I'm happy

I can't believe the current zip code financing Ford incentives give me $500 more incentive without taking any away and I get 0% at 60 months at that price for entire balance or some down payment they haven't mentioned.   I'm only financing through Ford 9000 so a 150 note for that portion.  This is almost stupid good.  How much better is it going to get for EOY sale is the real question.  I might be patient and wait them out.

By the time I'm done with trade in and pay TTL I'll be at $100,000.00 including the value of my actual value  $1500 fully business depreciated truck in trade.  That's my entire rigs CDP including all my add ons, my boat safety equipment, surf boards, other boards on a 14 ordered new wake boat and 16 truck new off lot.  

Edited by granddaddy55
6 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I tried so hard to get all the way through. I just couldn't do it...

Ok, 27-possibly 29% off MSRP on a 2016 eco 2.7 XLT chrome luxury with e lock with tow package, good deal if they overpay my trade by 500 and 0% financing???  Choice of two deals with snd with out trailer brake controller 

is the controller a deal breaker on pretty red metallic cc without controller but with 3.73 lock and possible 6.5 ft bed vs White cheaper truck with controller and bed liner and 3.31 lock 5.5 bed

Do you guys use them with your new trucks and did you modify your trailer easily and aesthetically??

51 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Ok, 27-possibly 29% off MSRP on a 2016 eco 2.7 XLT chrome luxury with e lock with tow package, good deal if they overpay my trade by 500 and 0% financing???  Choice of two deals with snd with out trailer brake controller 

is the controller a deal breaker on pretty red metallic cc without controller but with 3.73 lock and possible 6.5 ft bed vs White cheaper truck with controller and bed liner and 3.31 lock 5.5 bed

Do you guys use them with your new trucks and did you modify your trailer easily and aesthetically??

Do you tow anything besides your a20? If not, maybe you'd be fine without a trailer brake controller (can always add an aftermarket one for cheap in the future). Modifying your trailer would be a big waste of money. I love the brake controller on my truck but pull a fifth wheel and some heavy loads from time to time. Pulling a boat, I've only wanted more than surge brakes a few times and usually it was when I was getting dragged down a ramp by a friends commercial fishing boat... 

My buddy and his dad both had their boat trailers modified to have electric brakes.  You can't tell unless you really look at the trailer.  Both love the fact that they don't have the slop in the trailer when pulling away from a stop, as well as the control they have when towing behind their RV.

But the conversion was around $1k.  I like the idea of electric brakes, but not enough to spend $1k.

My travel trailer has electric brakes and they are pretty nice. easy to set up the controller, especially one that is integrated into the truck from the factory. Pulling up and down hills, through turns, etc. they are nice. 

My boat has surge brakes. Weight is about the same as the travel trailer.  It is also fine.  If i buy another boat, i might get electric brakes, but i would not pay to convert what i have. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add since things are kinda quiet. Sometimes I rent a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram for long drives. A 3500? Either way it's 4wd, deisel, 6.2 litre I think, 2016, all the options. No badging on the truck. As I recall, on fairly flat driving it got close to 30 mpg. Less than 100 bucks a day at Enterprise. I put it in 4 wheel low to tow out of the ramp, and it almost idles out.

Love driving those trucks.

Steve B.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Just wanted to add since things are kinda quiet. Sometimes I rent a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram for long drives. A 3500? Either way it's 4wd, deisel, 6.2 litre I think, 2016, all the options. No badging on the truck. As I recall, on fairly flat driving it got close to 30 mpg. Less than 100 bucks a day at Enterprise. I put it in 4 wheel low to tow out of the ramp, and it almost idles out.

Love driving those trucks.

Steve B.

Dodge Ram 3/4 ton 3500 with a 6.2 diesel is a rare beast

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Ya, they definitely say Cummins 6.2 on the side.  Extended cab, where the back doors open the other way. Nice stereo and technology. Drives and tows so nice for a 3/4 ton.

Steve B.

6.7 maybe? And a 3/4 ton is a 2500, 3500 is a one ton.

back doors open what other way?

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, Fman said:
3 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Ya, they definitely say Cummins 6.2 on the side.  Extended cab, where the back doors open the other way. Nice stereo and technology. Drives and tows so nice for a 3/4 ton.

Steve B.

The only two Cummins that have ever gone into a Dodge/RAM have been the 5.9 or the 6.7.  There has never been a 6.2.  The suicide doors gave way to the 4-door quad cab way back in 2002.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

Speaking of diesels does anyone know if Toyota will be releasing the Tundra diesel in 2017?  I believe it's going to be a Cummins?  Have heard a lot of rumors but have seen nothing.

Speaking of diesels does anyone know if Toyota will be releasing the Tundra diesel in 2017?  I believe it's going to be a Cummins?  Have heard a lot of rumors but have seen nothing.

Back when the Cummins 5.0 was announced, both Toyota and Nissan said they were going to use it.  I haven't seen anything regarding Toyota in several years.

I am a Cummins guy, but I think they clearly missed the mark with the 5.0.  It is out-towed by the top range of 1500 gassers, and has no real advantage in MPG (over either a gasser, and certainly not any better than the crop of 400/800 + 6.6 and 6.7l).  I don't know why Toyota would use it.

29 minutes ago, Soon2BV said:

Cummins - No g.

(My daughter works there :) /gotta protect the brand)

Thanks.  I've driven them since they first came out in a Dodge - back in 89.  @Pnwrider was correct.  Just making a point.  No G, just like there is no 6.2.  We need a sarcasm font. ;)

This thread has suddenly become relevant to my interests as I'm in need of a tow vehicle again. 

Anyone towing a 22'+ boat with the 2.7 ecoboost F150? They're running some nice deals on F150's now and most have this engine it seems. 

• Like 1

Was in the SUV world a while back, then moved to F150s

Current below and works great....

2016 F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost, Max Tow Package, FX4 Off Road Package, Chrome Package, Big Sun Roof etc..

Hit a bit of rain earlier so not shined up and a bit of squat as we were heavy heading back home.

4d4da634-8119-4305-8431-014287ddbb34_zps

2014 F150 - similar option load to the 2016

c7b88fad-9893-4998-ae15-139f86734d00_zps

Good old 2007 Nissan Armada

557c966a-673b-440e-96db-780523b68f4c_zps

Edited by KokaneeKonsumer
  • Like 2