Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fram Oil Filters

Fram has that cool easy grip on the bottom to help get the filters on and off...I know they arn't the best but I used to use them on my old 4-runner cause it was PITA to get to the filter Mad.gif and the fram grip helped a TON!

I've recently started running K&N Oil filters on a lot of my stuff, expecially the ones with synthetic oil and longer service periods. Definitely will be going on the BU next change as well. The bottom of the filter has a 1" nut welded on :)

Here is cross reference for there Marine grade filters: K&N Marine Oil filters

oilfiltercutout.jpg

I just hope it filters better than the K&N air filters. I've heard a lot of bad about them.

I have never heard a problem with K&N Air Filters. I run them on all my vehicles, plus I ran them on my Banshee and 88 TRX 250R almost 100% in Glamis (fine sand) and never saw any sand intrusion. Dontknow.gif

The monsoon doesn't have air filter it's a spark arrestor. To clean it off I simply us carb cleaner.

I think stewart was right, it is a K&N filter kinda like the one in my quad, sort of cone shaped.

I just hope it filters better than the K&N air filters. I've heard a lot of bad about them.

I have never heard a problem with K&N Air Filters. I run them on all my vehicles, plus I ran them on my Banshee and 88 TRX 250R almost 100% in Glamis (fine sand) and never saw any sand intrusion. Dontknow.gif

I dont know from personal experience - just what I've heard. I know that they flow well. Have you ever torn down one of your bike engines that have run a K&N in the dunes? Just curious, because I know a lot of people claim more power out of them.

It's really just one piece of the puzzle when trying to get more power from an engine. All by themselves, you won't notice much of a power difference. But if you do a full K&N intake & add a good mass air flow sensor, better exhaust, possibly a chip to change the tuning a bit....you will see a pretty good gain. The key is to get an engine to breathe better, on both ends. That is one of biggest problems with today's engines, they don't breathe well. I'm guessing that Malibu went to the K&N for that reason, better air flow than the spark arrestor they'd been using while still giving good filtration. Or maybe Indmar just made a lucrative deal with K&N. Who knows. :)

Sorry Jack, I thought they started that later than '03.

They started using the K&N in '04.

Anybody know what they do about spark "arrestation"? Is it a special K&N that can arrest sparks. It is my understanding that the spark arrestor is a Coast Guard requirement with an enclosed engine compartment(and I can see why), but I'm wondering if the newer Indmars with the K&N's have a "marinized" K&N, or is it just like the regular ones made for cars?

IIRC, the new filters go on "dry engines". They don't need a flame arrestor because they are"dry", meaning they won't put out gas fumes through the intake. Carb engines and some efi s are wet engines and need a flame arrestor because they can blow gas and fumes through the intake which can ignite. Another reason to go to efi, they are safer.

I have heard and read similar negative comments about K & N's filtration abilities. There are several independent studies availabe on the web. Here's one, although not particularly scientific...Air Filtration & Flow Test

They started using the K&N in '04.

Anybody know what they do about spark "arrestation"? Is it a special K&N that can arrest sparks. It is my understanding that the spark arrestor is a Coast Guard requirement with an enclosed engine compartment(and I can see why), but I'm wondering if the newer Indmars with the K&N's have a "marinized" K&N, or is it just like the regular ones made for cars?

I'm sure they are Coast Guard certified......... all of the K&N and similar style flame arrestors sold on PWC's and in aftermarket were all CG certified, and I highly doubt Indmar was going to get around it. :)

• 13 years later...

I've been using Fram PH30 for all of my boat's life.   Went to buy one and all part's stores in the area do not carry them.  They were having catastrophic failures causing engine failures.  Yikes. 

Then O'Reilly's cross referenced me to a Wix 51258 which does not fit well. 

And from what Ive read the Pennzoil filter is a cheap filter.  

Will change out the wrong Wix with either the Wix 51069 or Napa Gold 1069

6 hours ago, filftwalton said:

I've been using Fram PH30 for all of my boat's life.   Went to buy one and all part's stores in the area do not carry them.  They were having catastrophic failures causing engine failures.  Yikes. 

Then O'Reilly's cross referenced me to a Wix 51258 which does not fit well. 

And from what Ive read the Pennzoil filter is a cheap filter.  

Will change out the wrong Wix with either the Wix 51069 or Napa Gold 1069

Fil -

I don't find any really current information on the Web about Fram filters, so I can't tell where their information came from. 

I have routinely used the Tough Guard version, which apparently is not a bad filter.  After reading up on it, I will probably use an AC/Delco filter next time since it is essentially the Wix filter at a lower price. 

Thanks for bringing this back up. 

O'Reilly's and Advanced Auto Zone locally don't carry Fram and had stated such reasons - that was good enough for me.  Also the O'Reilly kid took a Fram apart and was let's say "unimpressed" at it's cheap construction.